Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: June 10, 2023 06:49PM

This month marks 20 years since I submitted my resignation letter and got my "Greg Dodge" letter in return. My own personal "Juneteenth". I'm proud to say I can no longer name the "first presidency" I'm no longer bitter, although I remain frequently disgusted. "The church" no longer holds enough space in my head to make me give it much thought.

I am free, my children and wife are free. I am recovered. This board brought me so much strength and support when I needed it most. I did stay around for years, doing what I could to give back. You don't see me much anymore, simply because Mormonism is no longer a factor in my life. This is how I define recovery from Mormonism.

Wishing you all the best, Drone

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2023 06:59PM by SLDrone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 10, 2023 07:03PM

Congrats. I love reading this from others. You were an influence on me back when I lost my testimony 20 years ago.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 10, 2023 07:07PM

Best to you, SLDrone! Gosh, it's a long time since I've heard about the "Dodge letter." I'm glad that you and yours are living your best Mormon church-free lives.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 10, 2023 07:07PM

Personally, I have to hang around, lest I backslide into wholesome activity in ghawd's one true church...

You guys are my canaries in the coal mine...  Well, except for Gladys.  She's the Harpy in the Hellenic coal mine.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 10, 2023 07:15PM

> Well, except for Gladys.  She's the
> Harpy in the Hellenic coal mine.

Watch it, Jesus. I'm friends with your third, seventh, and eighth wives--the Weird Sisters, someone said--and they know where you live.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 10, 2023 07:11PM

SLDrone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm no longer bitter, although I
> remain frequently disgusted.

I LOVE that sentence.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 10, 2023 07:25PM

Bravo and thank you for the resource and example you have been!

Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: June 10, 2023 07:34PM

Right back attcha old timer!

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: June 13, 2023 08:09PM

This means it's been a little over 20 years since I found RFM. I enjoyed reading all of your posts and learned from them.

We sent in our letters in February, 2003, as I recall. At that time I would never have believed that I would eventually be writing a biography of one prominent Mormon--my great-grandfather.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom with us.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: June 13, 2023 09:49PM

Oh Drone! You make me feel so old. So very very old! It can't really be that long? I am so happy to hear that you and yours are doing well. Lovely that all the children will never have the baggage that comes with mormon indoctrination. So nice to see you around. :)

Posted by: alex71vn ( )
Date: June 13, 2023 11:14PM

From time to time I check in here myself. If not for having 10 siblings and 2 parents in the Church I'd be completely free of being disgusted by it myself. But yeah I hear you on how it no longer has enough space in our heads to ever think seriously about its agenda.

A few years ago when I messaged you I could tell that you were long gone out :) The occasion was that the Church had just put in the Q12 the man who replaced you in your last calling. I bet you wouldn't change his life (and all the power/glory that many people think he has) for anything in this world. I can hardly imagine any life worse than being in the Q12.

Well, actually I can, and that would be to be in the First Presidency. When I worked at church HQ it seemed a bit odd to me how almost everywhere I went in the office wings that there would be pictures of the First Presidency. Now it makes sense that people were just kissing up to the narcissism (which may have been invisible to the top brass, but I'm betting it was there at least subconsciously) of their top leaders. IMO, only a narcissist could happily endure being a member of the First Presidency today. Personally, I'd feel such a burden of guilt for having to be such a liar and being a huge part of why millions of people in the future would have to suffer as victims of a fraud I was pushing forward.

The best part of what you wrote today was "I am free, my children and wife are free". Congrats to you :)

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: June 13, 2023 11:17PM

alex71vn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The best part of what you wrote today was "I am
> free, my children and wife are free". Congrats to
> you :)

Yes, that's lovely.

So good to see you SLDrone. I remember your posts and how people were so intrigued by your story and your experience in the church. Glad to know you're doing well and enjoying life.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: June 14, 2023 05:41AM

Alex, did you used to post under a slightly different name?

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: June 14, 2023 05:56AM

I'm still here after 24 years!
Although I've been suffering in silence all these years. No one will ever know the travail I suffer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.