Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: June 11, 2023 04:32AM

I haven't been to a church since 2008. Back then, before smart phones, Palm Pilots were the gadget of choice in church. With guys pretending to read scriptures or have the hymnbook on it. If a phone did ring, everyone turned to glare at the offender.

So I've never been to church with smartphones. What are most people doing with regard to phones during meetings nowadays?

As addicted to phones as my university students are, it's hard to picture that everyone isn't on theirs in church. Do they even try to get people not to use them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 11, 2023 10:39AM

I was at church a couple of weeks with my exmo bro. I saw a couple of people staring at phones but they were the minority. Seems like church isn't like other public spaces.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: June 11, 2023 08:24PM

and I thought I was cool for having a wristwatch calculator.

Posted by: Boyd KKK ( )
Date: June 12, 2023 03:53AM

Smart Bishops will have a member going to Mexico pick up a few Cell Phone jammers and install them quietly in the building.

No more phone interruptions.

Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: June 12, 2023 12:36PM

Why even go if you're just going to be on your phone?

Like, any church. Why show up if you're not going to be present? Like, is their god creature really just taking attendance and so long as your butt is in the pew, you can do whatever you want?

I dunno. Someone made a thread not too long ago talking about an experience in church where the young boys passing the sacrament were on their phones during the service. THAT, I can understand. My parents had that rule, that under 18, I was expected to attend church and I didn't really have the choice to just NOT go(of course, I also brought a novel along and would sometimes read my latest book during sacrament or doodle during class; we didn't have cell phones like we have now).

But if you're over 18 and in church looking on your phone the whole time... It's kind of an admission of wasting your own time, isn't it?

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: June 12, 2023 04:51PM

I've seen a number of people viewing the scripture readings on their phone. Most find it easier to follow the services instead of following in the missal books.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 12, 2023 02:10PM

is there (superfluous/redundant) wi-fi in church chapels?

Not that anyone needs it to go online, it would be heavily BLOCKED anyway.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.