Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jajisee ( )
Date: June 12, 2023 07:31AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2023 06:17PM by Jajisee.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: June 12, 2023 07:55AM

Sticky merely means that those topics are permanently set in place at the top of the forum page. So that comments on them don't "bump" them to the top, nor does a lack of comments make them drift down. They stay at the top. "Stuck" where they can always be read and available for access.

It's a very common word usage across internet forums for this type of thread marker.

I'm also surprised that the links to different information on the church website that the context isn't more clear to you.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: June 12, 2023 08:46AM

As a very long time Admin, 20+ years (now retired) I will answer you. The books that are on the front page are from long term posters. They have all posted here for many years before their books were considered. Nothing promoting any kind of religion would even be considered.

As to off topic posts, yes they are allowed. This is a community. If it gets too out of hand, it will start getting shut down. The fires in Canada are very much on topic as it has been an issue with posters here. Other topics, like the one from GNPE have on topic elements that as someone new may not understand. Stick around.

I will leave #4 for someone else.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2023 08:49AM by Susan I/S.

Date: June 12, 2023 03:10PM

Susan, Please remove my account and all of my posts and comments. The comments I've received remind me way too much of the Mormon culture I left: quick to judge, highly judgmental, restrictive on reading, cliqueish, and frequently condescending and mean spirited. Perhaps there is a Mormon cultural residue in those who have left. I no longer wish to be represented on this site in any way. Which I'm sure you and your colleagues will be happy with. Please confirm to my email. Regards.

I tried with Eric K again. This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

erickett@wingnet.net
LMTP error after RCPT TO:<erickett@wingnet.net>:
452 4.2.2 <erickett@wingnet.net> Mailbox is full / Blocks limit exceeded / Inode limit exceeded:
retry timeout exceeded

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2023 03:34PM by Jajisee.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 12, 2023 03:30PM

what an obtuse rule grinder!

While you're at it, Susan, dear, please remove all the posts that didn't get the laughs I was looking for, and also, please remove my gallbladder and the half of my prostate that no longer pulls its weight.

Thanking you in advance, I remain your humble serpent,

A Curmudgeon.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 12, 2023 09:17AM

"I can send a PDF file if that’s acceptable."

Can you have an angel deliver it to my home in Golden Plate format?

The Book of Mormon is Bible fan fiction. Science-based fan fiction may be more relevant to the times. What I see you trying to do is revivify your religion, which is a whole lot more than church leaders have done. You should be the next prophet. I will send a recommendation letter to SLC real soon now and let you know.

In the meantime, this forum is not your audience. You will find very few seekers here. I hope the mods let the name of your book stay up. I mean, come on, maybe I want to check it out. In the interest of fairness. Tell you what. I'll critique the thing, then return and report, just for yuks.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 12, 2023 09:21AM

He asked a reasonable question. No need to be such a jerk.

Date: June 12, 2023 10:36AM

You are right. One should not make fun of a man's life work while he is still alive.

Date: June 12, 2023 10:17AM

So anyhow... I found the book easily enough on Amazon and other outfits. Didn't want to fork over any money especially with 0 reviews.

The website has some chapter previews. Genesis goes into a rehash of the Big Bang, which according to our best models occurred. All of this is a promotion of scientism, which is an evolutionaty form of mythology. The myth constantly shifts to fit the latest data and best models. Continuous improvement is a Mormony concept, so scientism should appeal to Mormons. Unfortunately, it does not answer the mystical "why" questions. Why did the Big Bang occur?

The Big Lebowski did also occur, courtesy of the Coen brothers. That's where my summary comes from, as stated by The Dude here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1vBesOFURek

Date: June 12, 2023 10:45AM

Ah, much better response. Your first response seemed unnecessarily condescending and hostile. It needed The Dude.

Date: June 12, 2023 01:41PM

Your comments could not be further from the truth. I infer after this flurry something about the culture of this forum. I'll desist and everyone will be happier. Good bye

Date: June 12, 2023 04:13PM

Wait, don't go! We could have deep philosophical discussions together.

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: June 12, 2023 10:04AM

I look forward to the day when I don't feel compelled to keep my eye on this RfM website. I started posting here when I saw that we still have apologists online who are being dishonest about the Church. How in the world are we ever going to get people to think that the Church is the true Church unless we can have some sincere honesty about the Church? It certainly seems logical that a true Church tells the truth :) So, I'm doing a little part to try to keep the world of Apologists as honest as possible.

As soon as the Apologists have all gotten completely honest then there won't be any need for me to post anything anymore. I'll be able to devote more time to other pursuits, such as cleaning toilets at a local meetinghouse so poor Heavenly Father can save some money on janitors. Or I could spend my time harassing my neighbors to get themselves and their families/associates all assimilated into this wondrous gospel since I obviously could be doing more than I have as a slothful member-missionary.

Some people on this board think I'm just writing satire and they think that I'm just trying to poke fun of a silly cult by showing how absurd and delusional people would have to be to actually be an adherent. But, I would exhort you that as you read over the Church's statistical, financial, and historical reports & say to yourself "wow, this Church is so amazingly transparent and honest like a true Church should be" then you'll know that this idea that people think I'm writing satire is rubbish. Of course, a true Church is going to be super honest and transparent :)

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: June 12, 2023 10:25AM

I believe all things absurd & delusional.

Date: June 12, 2023 10:29AM

Re no advertising

Threads commenting on particular Mormon Stories podcasts are fairly common here. Not a problem. John Dehlin posting here to plug his podcasts - problem. He used to do that with fair regularity years ago, but got deleted often enough he finally got the hint.

Richard Packham had one of the earliest Mormonism-debunking websites. He posts her occasionally and on occasion will cite an article he has on his site relating to the subject of the tread. He doesn’t do it very often, and he also does a fair number of posts that don’t mention his website at all. So it is not like he is coming on regularly plugging his website.

Info about books can be posted with prior approval as to time place and manner of the post. Several posters here have written books, and posters write about other people’s books or articles all the time. Jana Reiss’ Religion News Service columns are mentioned here quite regularly. If she came on and brought them up herself, I think that would be a problem.

If you have topics you want to discuss, fine, post about them.

As for apologists, we used to get people from FARMS posting here, getting into arguments that were basically stalemates. That has pretty much disappeared, thought once in a blue moon we get a poster that is making arguments that could be construed as apologetics. It’s not a major issue anymore.

The links to the church essays are posted because the church itself makes them rather hard to find, and many members are not even aware of their existence. They contain admissions that many church members would find disturbing, such as the claim that the pre-1978 priesthood ban for Black males was “not doctrinal.”

Those essays are excellent sources for debunking common narratives in the Mormon Church. Another example, many Mormons have no idea there were multiple written versions of “The First Vision”.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2023 10:30AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 12, 2023 10:38AM

Jajisee, it seems like the only reason you came here was to promote your book. You were even deceptive about your reason for your post. Did it never occur to you that the long-time board members here are not in a mood to be used? And from what Susan I/S, says, it's not the first time that you've tried this.

Go promote your book someplace else. If you are a recovering ex-Mormon, or a supporter of exmos, then post about something else. I lurked for about six months before I responded to a post. As a nevermo, it took about three years to get up to speed on issues that affect exmos (and even then, there is still plenty that I don't know.)

None of us are here to be used by you. Go sell yourself someplace else.

Date: June 12, 2023 01:44PM

I thought that for exMormons an evidence based alternative to the Book of Mormon and other scriptures would be of interest. And that most people would not spend 20 years collecting evidence and summarize that for others. I infer from this flurry that that's not the case. I'll desist and you all will be happier. Good bye.

Date: June 12, 2023 01:49PM

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: June 12, 2023 02:10PM

Jajisee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought that for exMormons an evidence based
> alternative to the Book of Mormon and other
> scriptures would be of interest. And that most
> people would not spend 20 years collecting
> evidence and summarize that for others. I infer
> from this flurry that that's not the case. I'll
> desist and you all will be happier. Good bye.

Many ex-Mormons as well as people who have left other high-demand all-encompassing religions are not interested in hearing about or especially joining other faith groups. They have very low tolerance for people seeking to direct them to another religion. This is eminently understandable after the negative experiences many have gone through in religious organizations that, in many cases, they did not choose themselves, being born into and brought up in one of these groups. As for "converts", they often find once they get further in that what they were told and promised is not the reality. It is often thought that "converts" sustained a self-inflicted injury because "they should have known better" or investigated more, or whatever. Many, like myself, were convinced to join by people they considered friends. They didn't expect to peel back the wrapping paper and uncover a vicious snake instead of the wonders they were promised by "friends".

People coming to this and similar sites should read first for a while before jumping in, especially if they come with a personal purpose - to sell a book, promote a "new way" or any other intent that is perceived by readers here to be an ulterior motive. By reading about this site and checking out some of the threads it should be evident that anything that seems like attempts to convert, or sell, or otherwise self-promote, will not be met with joy.

I'm sorry that your foray here has got off to a rough start. Maybe you could start over - read the site a bit, especially perhaps people's leaving stories, and basically get to know the room.

Even after all that, this site isn't used to promote or sell books or items from individuals.

You are welcome here if you want to read exit stories and other experiences of ex-Mormons and other participants but selling or promoting one's own books or goods is not permitted (unless you reach out to Admin and receive permission first).

Again, after being hurt by a religious experience (especially being brought up in certain faiths, with no choice but to participate) a majority will not be interested in joining other faiths. Some outsiders find it difficult to understand or accept that. Hopefully, by reading of their experiences it will be obvious why people feel and choose the way they do. You know that old maxim: Once bitten, twice shy? That is highly applicable here, very understandably.

I hope you stick around and read a bit to gain more insight about this board's participants.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 12, 2023 06:53PM

You are like the person who reaches out to you, and seems like s/he might be a potential friend, but in reality just wants to sell you DoTerra or some other MLM line. Do you see how that comes off? My advice is, don't try to sell on a recovery board before you have become an established friend of long standing. You just saw us as marks. Joseph Smith, Jr. would be proud.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 13, 2023 01:48PM

×100

Interesting drama though.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: June 12, 2023 10:47AM

I have been on vacation and others do the admin work.

You wrote: 'After 20 years of research, I wrote A Song of Humanity: a science-based alternative to the world’s scriptures as my answer to the misinformation in...' To me it sounds like another religion or religion lite. It appears to be promoting another faith that is against the intent of this site. You can email it to erickettx@gmail.com Drop the x when sending it for me to review.

I am glad you got out of the cult after so many years of being in senior leadership. Good for you.

Eric

Date: June 12, 2023 01:48PM

NOT another religion. Sheesh. The reaction to my wanting to share an evidence-based summary of 20 years and 20 pp of references about the history of the universe and of humankind has been very surprising. It feels like being back in the Church again. I shall withdraw and desist. Thanks again for creating the site. The culture in it feels to me toxic. So I'll say goodbye and your group will be happier.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: June 12, 2023 02:16PM

Whether you want to label it "not a religion" or not, whatever message you are seeking to convey doesn't fit with the purpose of this site. Most people do not come here seeking another faith, or whatever it is you want to call it.

I would advise to stop talking and start reading if you are truly interested in gaining a bit of insight.

Arguing with owners and moderators of this site and throwing out sharp comebacks to people responding to your thread isn't a good start here.

If you truly don't have ulterior motives and are seeking information I would say again: Read the board - literally and figuratively.

Also, not arguing with Admin (Sus I/S - former longtime Admin & Eric - former board owner, now retired) is a wise course to follow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2023 02:17PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: June 12, 2023 02:42PM

>> The culture in it feels to me toxic. <<

You didn't get the reaction what you wanted....so it's toxic? The same could be said of you pitching your book, however I don't think I saw anyone respond to you as being toxic. They are just trying to inform you as to how the board operates.

Stick around and see if it works for you, if it doesn't great, you can leave anytime. If you want to leave now with your knickers in a bunch because you didn't the response you wanted, you're free to do that too.

Date: June 12, 2023 12:40PM

Don't use the Site; let the Site use you . . .

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 12, 2023 03:23PM

I think the OP has underestimated the proportion of apatheists on this board. Not only do we apatheists not believe in ghawd, we also don't care if we're mistaken because... reality.

Date: June 12, 2023 03:57PM

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson is a delightful and wildly successful book covering all sorts of scientific topics. Demon Haunted World, and Cosmos, by Carl Sagan are both classics.

It’s not like nobody else has dealt with these topics. I may get the kindle edition of your book because at 443 pages, I’m kind of impressed with the amount of work that must have gone into it, even if I don’t feel a burning need for more of that type of subject matter.

Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: June 12, 2023 04:25PM

Maybe be cautious when trying to promote your book in places where you 1. Have not established yourself as a friend and part of the community and 2. Tested to see whether the people there are actually receptive to your ideas. You can't just assume you're God's gift to the ex-Mos, to use a funny turn of phrase.

I doubt anyone here would go out of their way to be malicious but I would be wary, if I were you and had such an....uncharitable personality, where else you might advertise your book and leave links to the product page. If you find yourself huffing off from other forums because people weren't as thirsty for your intelligence as you'd hoped, I can see a few trolls going and leaving negative reviews on your book page. Which could really screw with your engagement.

Like I said, I don't think anyone here is willing to give you the time and effort. But as an author myself, just maybe be careful about where you advertise and what impression you leave people with. Just some friendly advice because although I don't agree with what you're doing and it was kind of annoying to genuinely answer your discussion thread only to realize you're selling something, I feel sympathy for someone who doesn't know enough about the internet to even know what "sticky" means. So, I'll tell you to be careful as my good deed for the day.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.