Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 13, 2023 11:41AM

I think everyone knows that many wards will permit the sisters of the ward AKA the Relief Society to meet once a month for a luncheon. And as most of you know, these all women get togethers have to done under the watchful eye of a Melchizedek priesthood holder. Heaven forbid that these sisters feel the holy spirit and act for themselves without the mantle of a penis.

So my mom is worried about the recent shift of the monthly potluck at the church to a monthly luncheon at a local restaurant. And the change in policy from potluck to restaurant has NOTHING to do with the sisters being too busy to prepare casseroles, salads and fancy desserts. No, the change is about setting up tables and chairs in the cultural hall. Basically, there's not enough priesthood holders to set up and take down the tables.

Now another concern that my mom has. Poor Brother Assinine will feel left out. This is the priesthood holder who drives his sweet wife (she really is the antithesis of the husband) to these luncheons as she is in poor health. Apparently, Brother Assinine packs his own lunch because he doesn't care for some of the sisters' hoity-toity cooking. According to my mom, some of these local restaurants have a strict "no outside food" policy and Brother Assinine will have to sit at a table without eating his own grub at the restaurant.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 13, 2023 12:03PM

Poor Brother Assinine has some adjusting to do.
World problems there, I tell ya.

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: June 13, 2023 01:25PM

She feels bad for poor, oppressed Bro. Asinine? Not after he persuades the bishop to shut down the luncheon.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 13, 2023 01:51PM

Here's a thought. Do away with anything male or female specific and just meet as fellow friendships in Jesus. God forbid.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: June 13, 2023 05:24PM

You mean like normal people? These folks are “special”.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 13, 2023 04:38PM

When my nevermo mom was retired, she used to get together with a group of women for monthly luncheons at local restaurants. It was a regular social event that she looked forward to. This sounds like what she did -- just a group of friends getting together to eat out and enjoy some conversation.

I like that what your mom's RS is doing is not under church auspices. The Relief Society has been under church priesthood control for far too long. Let the women get together and enjoy some fellowship while breaking bread, without the leadership looking over their collective shoulders.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: June 13, 2023 07:19PM

There used to be a "break the fast" after fast Sundays at the cultural hall. It was fun.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: June 13, 2023 09:53PM

Maybe someone else can give Brother Assinine's wife a ride?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 14, 2023 11:03AM

Heil Rusty & his enforcers; were the wymens allowed to (GASP) wear pants to these luncheons?

That may have been a factor bc that would defile the sacred gym ... er CULTural Hall !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2023 11:04AM by GNPE.

Posted by: unconventional ( )
Date: June 14, 2023 12:33PM

Such a tempest in a teapot.

Would have been Brother Assinine myself had I not gotten out and met my wife who is the daughter of a Royal Navy veteran who had a broad palate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2023 12:34PM by unconventional.

Date: June 14, 2023 01:17PM

Basically, he took over backing up my mom's vehicle while picking up firewood. He damaged my mom's car and then attempted to weasel out of paying for the damage.

He stopped speaking to my mom and somehow my mom feels sorry for this turd. I guess it's the effect of being conditioned to be abused in the church.

I just let my mom speak and avoid telling her she's wrong about how she perceives situations.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2326629,2327556#msg-2327556

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 14, 2023 07:17PM

I’ve seen women set up tables and carry folding chairs. Sixteen women show up for lunch, that’s two 8 foot tables. Not that big a deal.

Besides, expecting men to set up the seating, leave, and come back in three hours for the tear-down seems like an imposition. Plus the floor probably needs a mopping after a potluck.

Sounds like the men rebelled and the women weren’t willing to do it themselves. There could have been a compromise, the men do setup and women the tear-down, or vice versa.

I suspect nobody really wanted to bother. Eventually hardly anyone will go to the restaurant version either. That’s my prediction.

Date: March 19, 2024 10:50AM

My mom blames the RS president. The RS president abhors pot lucks and also thinks choosing a restaurant/café is too darn hard. So monthly RS get togethers are off the calendar.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 20, 2024 08:51AM

Ha! See my prediction above. What do I win? :)

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: March 19, 2024 08:32PM

messygoop where is that ward located? About 15-20 years ago my mom was second counselor in the Relief Society in Germany and she would spend at least 100 euros per month on the monthly Relief Society activity. The Relief Society president also spend at least 100 euros per month out of her own pocket. The Relief Society had soup, salad, main dish and desert once a month at their monthly activity. About 15-20 sisters showed up each month. What happened next? After a new Relief Society was called 3 women without money there was no more food no more fun activities and the sisters stopped showing up. My mom still misses the soup, salad, main dish and desert once a month.

Date: March 20, 2024 01:12PM

It's a California ward near Sacramento.

I can't make it too specific because there's a stake advisory committee that snoops on members' internet activities. She receives some church help as a widow.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2024 01:14PM by messygoop.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 20, 2024 11:13PM

They had them when I was young as my mother was in the presidency, which is when she'd get me to babysit the kids in the nursery (alone no less) when they had their monthly work day I think. I can't remember what they called it. They did quilt on those days and they had a luncheon.

I am on the local ward fb page as it is for Hyrum area anyway for news. And sometimes I need their help like when my dog got away again. They all know him well. He goes by naughty dog in the neighborhood. I have now read that a Kelpie needs a lot of activity and if they are bored, they'll make your life a living hell. It has been an experience, but I got a Cocker Spaniel a month ago and he's a sweetie. One of my husband's ex boyfriends had a friend who needed to rehome him. My first dog was a Cocker. So I see the reports of the luncheons.

So I see the monthly luncheon invite and they have it in people's homes. They order in most of the time. I'd go except then they'd start what? love bombing me more. If I go to bridal or baby showers or to wedding receptions, it all starts up again so I just drop a gift by.

When food is served, people show up. It is stupid when the cancel stuff like this. RS is basically just an old boring lesson every week or at least that is what it was when I was still going.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2024 11:26PM by cl2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.