Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: June 25, 2023 11:30PM

Watching pastor Jeff Durban dismantle Mormons, including missionaries.

Next time you have a spare minute, search on YouTube for Apologia Studios or Jeff Durban.

No, I'm not a Christian or an evangelist. I just enjoy watching this guy dismantle Mormon arguments. He's even got a few videos of Mormons realizing in the moment, that the LDS church is a fraud.

Enjoy!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: June 26, 2023 11:20AM

I was unaware of Jeff Durbin but watched some of the videos. I like that he keeps the conversation on track and he does not attack. If you debate him, you better know your bible.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 26, 2023 11:30AM

Congratulations on having been called as a senior missionary!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 26, 2023 11:24AM

>I just enjoy watching this guy dismantle Mormon arguments. He's even got a few videos of Mormons realizing in the moment, that the LDS church is a fraud.

Since you already know which videos those are, could you post a link to one or more of them? Thx

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 26, 2023 11:32AM

That Durbin guy is off the rails (to say the least without getting deleted) in other areas. I wouldn't recommend linking him here.

I'd put him in the category of a broken clock being right twice a day when it comes to Mormons.

Date: June 27, 2023 01:28AM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That Durbin guy is off the rails (to say the least
> without getting deleted) in other areas. I
> wouldn't recommend linking him here.
>
> I'd put him in the category of a broken clock
> being right twice a day when it comes to Mormons.

Dagny, I recently discovered these conversations on YouTube and really enjoyed watching Durbin dismantle Mormon teachings. He seems to know Mormonism better than most missionaries.

I've yet to delve into other videos because I'm more interested in how he talks to Mormons. But without getting too specific, can you give me a hint about where he's off the rails? Just general topics, if you don't mind.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 27, 2023 01:41PM

The regular: Women's reproductive rights, vaccine conspiracy, ridiculous Christian apologetics.

I always find it strange when people (like Tanners) are able to scrutinize other religions but can't use the same tools on their own religion.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 27, 2023 01:48PM

I think he's anti-LGBTQ+ as well.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: June 27, 2023 07:29PM

summer Wrote:
> I think he's anti-LGBTQ+ as well.

Decidedly so.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: June 27, 2023 04:50PM

“I always find it strange when people (like Tanners) are able to scrutinize other religions but can't use the same tools on their own religion.”

Amen and amen.

Date: June 27, 2023 01:26AM

Brother of Jerry, there are a few. I forgot whether it was ok to put YouTube links here.

https://youtu.be/9mqPZ6I_HMk

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: June 27, 2023 02:39PM

I enjoy watching some videos of Durban debating with Mormons. He knows his bible but....

Basically, it is a civilized discussion between two parties that fundamentally agree there is a Santa Claus but disagree how he gets around on Christmas eve and if there really is a Mrs. Claus.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 27, 2023 02:46PM

Nicely put.

Date: June 28, 2023 09:08AM

moehoward Wrote:
> Basically, it is a civilized discussion between
> two parties that fundamentally agree there is a
> Santa Claus but disagree how he gets around on
> Christmas eve and if there really is a Mrs. Claus.

Well-said. If one rejects the Bible, then all arguments base on the Bible are pointless.

The one thing I wish I'd see is a conversation between Durbin and another person who knows the Bible really well. He seems to find people who don't know Mormon doctrine well enough to make a cogent argument.

He makes some arguments that don't hold water, like saying if you don't accept the Bible you are bankrupt and can't make an appeal to any other authority besides the Bible. I mean, there is a long body of jurisprudence about Murder, but he always diverts the conversation back to the Bible. "If you don't follow the 10 commandments, then you have no basis for saying murder is wrong." I don't agree with that at all.

I do appreciate how he keeps the conversation civil.

He might make a good lawyer. His style of argumentation, asking the other person to clarify their position before dismantling them, is very effective.

He does have a good point about speaking with Mormons. Getting them to describe Mormon teachings is like nailing jello to the wall. That's my description, not his.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.