Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: June 27, 2023 06:48AM

How do Mormons explain their funny underwear?

There's nothing about magical underwear in the Bible that I know of.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: June 27, 2023 07:55AM

Garments are one of the “Plain and Precious Truths” that were removed from the Bible.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 27, 2023 09:52AM

In some situations - circumstances, clothing is a safety necessity, but otherwise not.
Some ppl spend $ 1000s one a single outfit bc clothing is used as a status symbol 'badge'.

'Modesty' is a hypothetical construct, but clothing is a huge $$$$ industry for manufacturers, retailers, & transport.

Nudists only wear clothes when 'necessary'; couples enjoy a greater intimacy in bed, in the shower, most relaxation when nude; ChurchCo & other religions shame people from enjoying those moments.

Children raised in nudist or clothing optional homes have healthier attitudes about sexuality & respect for different shapes & sizes of individuals than otherwise!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 27, 2023 10:01AM

I've always pointed out that if the Mormon church wanted garments that are truly protective, they would go with silk as an option. It's light in weight, comfortable (cool in the summer, warm in the winter,) and fire-retardant.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: June 27, 2023 10:38AM

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/tools/help/fabric-descriptions-and-care?lang=eng

Summer, since Mormonism is all about money I am guessing that the lds church would loose money if they would offer silk garments. Back when I was an endowed member all tops and bottoms were the same prize no matter what material. Someone please correct me if things have changed.

Date: June 27, 2023 10:52AM

When I got endowed I was told I have to wear my bra over the garment top.

https://brafittingsbycourt.com/blogs/blog/for-mormon-women-tips-on-wearing-lds-garments-tops-with-your-bra

Now I read a bra can be worn under the garment or over the garment.

Date: June 27, 2023 11:13AM

subeamnotlogedin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I got endowed I was told I have to wear my
> bra over the garment top.
>
> https://brafittingsbycourt.com/blogs/blog/for-morm
> on-women-tips-on-wearing-lds-garments-tops-with-yo
> ur-bra
>
> Now I read a bra can be worn under the garment or
> over the garment.

Yet another reason why ChurchCo has / needs a Living Prophet!!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 27, 2023 11:19AM

I didn't remember they changed that rule. They made a big fuss about garments being worn next to the skin back when I got them.

That's another example of them conceding to complaints. Garments were ridiculous under bras, let alone issues with hygiene adhesive products.

I chuckled when the blog lady said she was "sad" that so many anti Mormon articles come up when she Googled the issue. Duh.

I think garments will eventually become a symbolic small doodad people can wear.

Date: June 27, 2023 11:41AM

I would hope that most women would know better. Who wants to put something under your bra? I can't imagine much that would be more uncomfortable.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 27, 2023 12:18PM

The bad thing about a bra on top of your garments was your bra would slide up all the time if you moved. I had forgotten that as you kind of get used to it after 20 years or, and when I quit wearing garments, I was PLEASED that my bra wasn't always popping up. It never does anymore.

It is so nice to not have to wear garments in every way, but especially in the hot summers.

Date: June 27, 2023 12:45PM

Yeah -- by mentioning "what women," I was thinking more that a man probably came up with that rule.

Date: June 28, 2023 01:08PM

"bra would slide up all the time if you moved" exactly! The nursing garments and nursing bras made breastfeeding quite complicated. The pregnancy garments go over the entire belly and are huge! I was so hot and sweaty wearing my garments in Texas during the summer. Yes, I wore my garments underneath my bra. And tithing is supposed to be paid and gross income and not net income if you want the gross blessings. Imagine being allowed to wear a black lacy bra underneath your garments? Nope, I wore a white bra on top of my garment top. Military can wear green garments so I ask if I can wear the green garments and I was not allowed to.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 27, 2023 12:29PM

Many decades ago, the church had a mesh fabric for garments, at least in mens.

My friend spent a lot of time at a pool one summer neglecting to use sunscreen.

He then put on his mesh fabric garments.

Sure enough many hours later his skin began to blister and some of the blisters went through the mesh.

We had go cut his garments off of him and get him to a doctor to remove the "embedded" remnants.

Date: June 27, 2023 12:44PM

Ouch!

Date: June 27, 2023 10:32AM

except that everyday Honesty & Kindness, Respect for others, etc. Are found in the Bible, especially the New Testament, nearly 100% AWOL from LDS scriptures.

Hmmm, why is that???

Do - did we ever really need endless stories about strifes & conflicts, pointless wars &, guys & murders?
I think not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2023 11:16AM by GNPE.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: June 27, 2023 11:58AM

Garments will eventually go away as the church slowly morphs into something else.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 27, 2023 12:32PM

Probably part of a test program, but many decades ago, when I was in the military, the church handed us just the markings and we sewed them to the inside of our uniforms except the knee marking, we ironed that one on the inside of the leg.

No reason a similar thing couldn't flow from the lighted pen of Rusty.

Date: June 29, 2023 02:07AM

I bagged the whole concept during Desert Storm. I had bigger things to worry about than garments and funny little symbols.

Date: June 27, 2023 01:02PM

Rubicon Wrote:
> Garments will eventually go away as the church
> slowly morphs into something else.

I think that's plausible, but aren't the unique & weird things (currently at least) a necessary feature of their brand just like & associated with Temples ?

Date: June 27, 2023 01:08PM

True, but you have to convine people to wear them, and based on recent reports, IMO that may not be happening as much lately among the younger generation. From what I've read, a lot of young Mormon moms in particular wear workout gear quite often in order to avoid garment wearing.

Date: June 27, 2023 01:58PM

What you're saying is that 'enforcement' might be slipping, is that right?

I agree that may be happening in localized areas, but ChurchCo still holds them up as 'near commandments' for those who've been endowed. Also, parents trickle down wearing 'garment ok' clothing to their children bc it's part & parcel of indoctrination.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2023 06:31PM by GNPE.

Date: June 29, 2023 01:40AM

The members are who really steer where the church goes. The younger members won’t wear their garments and that sets a trend. I think garment wearing is in the early stages of being less of a thing. It will go to they are there if you want them but less and less people will want them.

The whole temple thing is being watered down. It could end up being just a quiet religious space you can go to and it will be more laid back and less regimented. I think the church wants to divorce itself from Brigham Young and focus on a Kirkland era Joseph Smith and a Protestant Christ.

Date: June 29, 2023 01:50AM

Garments are for boomers. That’s a definite guarantee Generation Z isn’t going to touch them with a 30 foot pole.

Date: June 29, 2023 02:01AM

I never wore garments in the military and ironically never wore them while deployed in war zones. The military is a different club and civilians and a civilian church ain’t in it. I don’t have to tell my church leaders a thing because they have no right to know. Cougarland, Happy Valley suburbia is light years from reality in the sandbox where bullets fly by.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: July 01, 2023 02:56PM

Or, they will become something only worn while in the temples, just like the Masonic cosplay stuff they wear.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 27, 2023 02:27PM

I used to use a cotton/poly blend called corbin. It wore better than straight cotton and wasn't too bad though not wearing any church ordered garment is 1000 times better.

So when I went to my nearest LDS garment shop (1990s), I was informed that it had been dropped for men- was it too soft for "real men" ?

I ended up with cotton, which were so poor wearing, I had mega holes in a mere 2 months. I think men had a choice of cotton (the softest of the samples), mesh (which chafed my nether regions) polyester (which doesn't breath in humidity) and sandpaper (it had a name) but it was meant to grind away any hair into stubble.

I always hated wearing church garments.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 28, 2023 01:29PM

All temple garments suck. They suck the big one. I'm so glad to be shot of them.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 28, 2023 01:48PM

How many of you experienced climbing in through the top of your garments?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 28, 2023 10:57PM

Did you wear your garments under or over your tutu?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 29, 2023 12:32AM

Cheeky trollop!

Date: June 29, 2023 12:46AM

I'll take that as meaning "under."

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: June 28, 2023 02:14PM

At the last stake conference I attended many years ago, the stake president publicly scolded a member for not wearing his garments while cutting the grass at home. The stake president, who lived near by, saw this reprobate member slacking in Tennessee summer heat in a t-shirt and shorts. The horror. The only thought I had when I heard this was that the stake president was an @ss. Adherence to arbitrary rules was more important than health and comfort.

Date: June 29, 2023 12:38AM

is SP AssHat now a GA?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 29, 2023 01:03AM

The embroidered symbols were Emma's idea, originally made with red thread. That was to replace the incisions made in the skin using a small knife to produce scars.

Now that the church is upping the ante on the importance of the temple, maybe they should bring back the knife.

Date: June 29, 2023 01:25AM

bradley Wrote:
> The embroidered symbols were Emma's idea,
> originally made with red thread. That was to
> replace the incisions made in the skin using a
> small knife to produce scars.
>
> Now that the church is upping the ante on the
> importance of the temple, maybe they should bring
> back the knife.

Really ???

Is this documented at all???

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 29, 2023 05:42AM

From Steve Benson in 2017

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1984668,1984668#msg-1984668

Scarification is popular in Africa and Papau New Guinea. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarification

I once worked with a black guy who had a scarified gang symbol. It's a thing even in modern times.

Joseph could have learned of the practices of dark skinned cultures from Black Pete. https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,105327,105332#msg-105332

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2023 06:05AM by bradley.

Date: June 29, 2023 03:27PM

Do you have any evidence that Black Pete came from Africa? Because if he was the descendant of slaves, as is more likely, he probably knew nothing of African scarification.

And why would JS adopt the body modifications of a people and culture he has already condemned as morally inferior?

Evidence.

Date: June 29, 2023 06:54AM

The ķnife isn't used anymore, but the lies continue.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 29, 2023 02:40PM

I think the church would rather have your bank account routing # than you having a church scar.

Money brings real blessings.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.