Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: June 28, 2023 12:21PM

An article came into my emails about the Assassination of Joseph Smith. I read the article, nothing about him being a martyred but rather he was assassinated. In many ways this is correct but it changes the value placed on him being a martyred. Any one have any ideas why the change in terminology?

I have to find my vitamins to take as Dusty said we would need to take when he took over (LOL) This certainly is not the Church that I grew up in. Last week it was cancelling the corner stone ceremonies at the new temples.

Next week they will be teaching Jesus was assassinated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 28, 2023 12:45PM

Per Wiki

As nouns the difference between martyr and assassination is that martyr is one who willingly accepts being put to death for adhering openly to one's religious beliefs; notably, saints canonized after martyrdom while assassination is killing or murder for political reasons.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 28, 2023 12:53PM

gotta keep the spin-meisters busy at home or else they might leave & be employed elsewhere!

What would ChurchCo do, How would they operate without them???

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 28, 2023 02:18PM

They are trying to be more in sync with the historical Joseph Smith.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: June 28, 2023 03:07PM

They just announced a new and improved coming version of the Joseph Smith diaries and letters. Supposed to be the most comprehensive of all prior collections of Joseph Smiths writings.

It too will be selectively complied of all the church approved testimony building materials I am sure.

If you want to look at all options when it comes to buying something like a cell phone and other technology gadgets, one should not limit themselves to just the Apple store.

There-in lies the greatest flaw of one claiming to know something is true, when they limit themselves to one stop shopping.

Posted by: fischfrei ( )
Date: June 29, 2023 12:22PM

Assassination could make one remember the Kennedys and other beloved by many political figures. Assassination is far more powerful an image than martyrdom and would make JS seem like a more powerful figure than he actually was.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 29, 2023 12:57PM

So my goal of getting this event labeled "Taking out the garbage" is not likely to catch on...  

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 30, 2023 11:18AM

I doubt that.

He was a public figure good or bad.

Willing dying for a cause puts you up with Jesus Christ.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 02, 2023 04:15PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Willing dying for a cause puts you up with Jesus
> Christ.

Did he willingly die though? He was returning fire. And he was trying to escape by climbing out a window. Or so I've read.

Interesting descriptions of JS:

Random Google Search: "Joseph Smith Jr. was an American religious leader and the founder of Mormonism and the Latter Day Saint movement".

Wiki: "Joseph Smith, the founder and leader of the Latter Day Saint movement..."

The first makes him sound like someone of stature, if all you know about him is the "American religious leader" part.

The second gives a more specific, therefore more accurate description.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2023 04:15PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 02, 2023 06:57PM

Nighty, nowadays Jesus packs a gun too in some imagery (I'm only sort of joking).

There was a politician (who I shan't name) who said that if Jesus only had a gun, He would have fought back. So, I suppose in the minds of some Mormons, Joseph dying for his cause has something in common with Jesus dying. I know, it's ridiculous, but go figure.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: July 02, 2023 03:51PM

Tank goodness Swedenborg came up with the trinity so joke could insert himself in the Holy Ghost slot....say what that wasn’t mentioned...9of course not...that’s just more fundy drivel that often ends up true much as church would like to forget...I’m not. Sure we teach that...Goordo

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.