Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: amiable ( )
Date: July 08, 2023 01:50PM

Is anyone watching Jury Duty? I loved it!

Would Noah be LDS? He has the tie, but as I recall he wore a non white shirt.

Anyway, hilarious show, and very well executed. Ronald is a gem!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: July 08, 2023 06:32PM

Plan to bing it next week.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 08, 2023 08:09PM

Never heard of it.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 08, 2023 09:43PM

I thought this thread was going to be about you having been called to jury duty, amiable.

There's a lot of that going around lately. :)

The link above doesn't work for me: says "does not exist".

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 09, 2023 02:48PM

Date: July 09, 2023 05:14PM

The link keeps leaving off the terminal close-parens, so you have to type it in. Then it works.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 08, 2023 08:32PM

What is it on?

Date: July 09, 2023 05:15PM

Amazon Prime for now.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 09, 2023 03:45AM

Someone is desperate for new material…

just sayin’

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 09, 2023 08:52AM

Is that the show where one of the jurors does not know that it's fake? He really thinks he's serving jury duty?

I have only been called to jury duty once, during my summer break. Where I live, they do not like to call teachers very much -- I guess they don't want to leave our students stranded. I went through the voir dire questioning process. I thought I answered the questions well, but I didn't survive the cut -- none of the teachers did. It was a medical malpractice case, and I later heard that both sides settled a few days into the trial. The entire process was fascinating, and I developed a respect for the judge in charge of the case.

Date: July 09, 2023 11:45AM

summer, yes, it is that one. There is an older offering named the same thing, which is definitely not the one. This is the show in which everything is carefully orchestrated so that one juror (selected by the producers after Craig's List interviews) believes he is participating in a documentary about jury duty (which would never happen.)

The chosen juror is not aware that his summons was fake, and that all the other jurors, judge, bailiff, lawyers, plaintiff and defendant are actors. It did not get stellar reviews, but I enjoyed every minute, and in the end, had a ton of respect and love for the guy who was the chosen juror. The band of actors was terrific.

The link that [|] quoted is correct, but you might have to manually enter the terminal close-parenthesis:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_Duty_(2023_TV_series)

I wasn't going to watch it really, as I have been on many a jury, and kind of felt like GNPE. (Watching paint dry). But I heard James Marsden talk about it on NPR and was intrigued. I saw it on Amazon Prime, but it looks like they will be pulling it really soon.

Posted by: A New Name ( )
Date: July 09, 2023 05:56PM

Here is my review of the show I wrote a few months ago. Yes, Noah appears Mormon. Check out the "soaking" reference below.

Wife and I watched a funny satire on TV last night. It is called “Jury Duty”. It is on FreeVee, a free streaming channel from Amazon that has a subset of Prime shows, with commercials.
The premise of the show is that they got special permission to film a trial from the Jury’s perspective for a documentary. But the trick is everybody is an actor, except one poor guy who thinks this is a really jury trial. Crazy situations ensue, and the one guy thinks this is all real. They even got James Marsden to play himself on the show. The show runners also did “The Office”, so it has that vibe, but knowing one guy thinks it is all real make it so much funnier.

The Mormon angel happens in episode 4. There is a guy on the jury that does not drink. He looks very Mormon. The Jury is sequestered (because of paparazzi following Marsden), and one night in the hotel room, one of the ladies comes on to Mormon type guy. He asks for help, because he does “not believe in pre-marital sex”. He said the girl recommended “soaking”. “Oh, a loophole” they tell him. So Mormon guy says he needs somebody to jump on the bed while they are soaking. Marsden agrees, the scene that follows is hilarious! Your mileage my vary…….

Is soaking a pure BYU/Mormon thing? I'm sure they had a Mormon writer on the show.

Date: July 09, 2023 08:52PM

Oh, I didn't see your review before. I wondered about soaking. Is that really a Mormon thing? It would totally make sense if it were. The other reason I thought he was LDS is because he works as a for-hire driver. One of my TBM relatives does that for a living, and has no higher aspirations.

And Noah is the one who in the voir dire says he is racist to avoid selection, then retracts it when everyone is so aghast.

Funny show, eh?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2023 08:52PM by amiable.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 09, 2023 09:00PM

>> Is soaking a pure BYU/Mormon thing?

I've never heard of it in any other context than BYU/Mormon.

Date: July 09, 2023 10:38PM

But it is a Mormon thing? I never heard it till the show. I thought they just made it up!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 10, 2023 08:28PM

I tried watching the first episode last night, I don't know what other show that put me to sleep as quickly as this one

I gave it an honest try, but no more.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.