Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 14, 2023 06:48AM

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-entire-universe-could-be-twice-as-old-as-we-thought

"
By marrying the existing expanding Universe theory with a fringe explanation called the tired light hypothesis, Gupta has found the Big Bang could have taken place an astonishing 26.7 billion years ago. That's twice as old as current models predict.

Those added years could explain why the most distant galaxies observed look surprisingly mature for star-cities that ought to have only been around for half a billion years.

Estimating the age of the Universe isn't unlike guessing a child's birthday based on their height. Objects in the distance – in every direction – look a little redder than their signature patterns of light might have us expect. The most likely explanation is that space expands, stretching those light waves apart like a pulled spring."

Now it all makes sense. Of course the light from Kolob gets tired. Imagine a sacrament meeting lasting billions of years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 14, 2023 09:15AM

We should have suspected that when we saw galaxies going out for the early bird special, then watching the news and Jeopardy, and going to bed at 7 pm.

Plus God put all those signs around BYU admonishing us to stay the hell off his lawn.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: July 14, 2023 11:23AM

IOW we have no idea WTF we are seeing in the JWT images and it will take us a lifetime to figure it out. Meanwhile we’ll just keep throwing darts hoping one hits a target.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 14, 2023 12:06PM

Or hoping one hits something dark that matters.

Date: July 14, 2023 12:24PM

:)

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 14, 2023 04:42PM

Or the universe is a giant morbius strip and we're actually seeing something that is really just behind us.

Date: July 14, 2023 05:22PM

We have a good view of our own ass.

Date: July 17, 2023 04:50PM

That would account for stars that don't follow Hubble's constant. We see the light from second and third loops.

So our Universe is like a mirrored ball, like the inside of a TBM's head.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: July 14, 2023 07:51PM

it very well could be because we don't know shit about the universe.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: July 14, 2023 10:22PM

That OR Dark Energy could just be an optical illusion.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/deep-space/a44302811/expansion-of-universe-mirage/

Roger Penrose thinks cosmic inflation is a fantasy.
https://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/sir-roger-penrose-cosmic-inflation-is-fantasy/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2023 12:29AM by schrodingerscat.

Date: July 15, 2023 04:03AM

I think cosmic inflation, dark energy, dark matter, quantum mechanics, free will, and Roger Penrose are all fantasies.

Only the Dude abides.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: July 14, 2023 11:31PM

Sooo......12,000 years old?

Date: July 15, 2023 04:00AM

You can’t be Sirius.

And if yo are Sirius, would that be 12,000 dog years?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 15, 2023 10:08AM

Did you hear that a Black Hole found the secret to weight loss? Eating light.

What? You thought I was going to say Ozempic?

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: July 15, 2023 04:29PM

“sacrament meeting lasting billions of years.”

That’s what I think the celestial kingdom would be like.

Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: July 17, 2023 01:18PM

Darwin used to think the Earth was only a couple thousand years old and that evolution happened in that time span.

As we learned more that time span increased to millions of years and then longer.

I think our ideas of the age of the Universe will be like that. We can't even see all of it yet, or even half of it yet.

We think it was 13 billion (now perhaps 26 Billion) years of age. I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually conclude that it is a Trillion years (or even more) years of age.

Date: July 17, 2023 04:19PM

I’m pretty sure Darwin thought the earth was at least millions of years old. Isaac Newton came to that conclusion in the 1600s, and geology was becoming a serious science by Darwin’s time. I’ll see if I can find documentation about Darwin

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 17, 2023 10:15PM

I looked it up.

In his first edition of Origin of Species, Darwin put the end of the Cretaceous Period at 300 million years. That estimate came in for criticism from geologists, who persuaded him that it was too long a time span given what they (thought they) knew about the subject. So in the second edition, he lowered is estimate to 150 million years. After still more criticism, he further attenuated his views in order to get closer to the 100 million years that scientist whom he respected thought likely.

The truth is that the Cretaceous Period ended around 66 million years ago, when the last mass extinction occurred. So Darwin was indeed incorrect in his surmises.

But there was never any question of a thousands-of-years age of the earth. If Darwin thought the last period before now was measured in hundreds of millions of years, he almost certainly thought the world's existence was measured in billions of years.

ETA: https://www.darwinproject.ac.uk/letters/darwins-works-letters/rewriting-origin-later-editions/how-old-earth

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2023 10:16PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: July 17, 2023 11:47PM

But how did Darwin FEEL about the age of the Earth?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 17, 2023 11:54PM

An excellent question. I'll ask him and get back to you.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 17, 2023 01:33PM

However old Dagny is, that's how long the universe has existed...

Although why she had to make it so complicated-looking is beyond me!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 17, 2023 02:22PM

I couldn't help it. My cat threw up on my plans for the universe.

Posted by: Lurker 1 ( )
Date: July 17, 2023 03:28PM

A good friend of mine who I greatly respect is a world renowned scientist (works for Lockheed and teaches PHD level courses at Stanford) with his specialty being optics. He designed the guidance system for the Hubble telescope and wrote the white paper for the James Webb telescope. He has regularly kept up with the scientists analyzing the data from the Hubble. About 20 years ago my friend told me the Hubble has essentially disproved the Big Bang. It can see light from 5 billion years ago and did not find any data consistant with the Big Bang. My understanding is the JWT can see light from 14 billion years ago and it isn't finding data consistant with the Big Bang.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 17, 2023 03:38PM

I remain optimistic that my previous Big Bang will be replaced by an even Bigger Bang.

I realize that there's nothing 'scientific' about this optimism, but I can no more curtail this optimist than I can when teeing off on a par three golf hole, having already scored two holes-in-one.

So I guess I'm saying that once you've experienced a Big Bang, it's not unusual to want a Bigger Bang.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 18, 2023 04:47PM

Backing down from the universe and going to our earth, our world has gone thru numerous changes.

Many have heard of Pantgea, when there was only one ocean and one super continent.

There is evidence that the super continent has broken apart and reunited several times over the life of earth.

This is a lecture by the Nick Zenter, geology professor at Central Washington University on this topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg69QbPxHsA&list=PLCAADnnL44gUv8op5WQkjQUt3K8FjmvzG&index=27

It helps me put into perspective of where I am in the big picture of the world... just a spec of dust on a gnat's butt.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 18, 2023 12:09AM

Wow, what an interesting friend. I bet he has had some fascinating insights over the years.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: July 18, 2023 01:28AM

The following link is probably a more interesting read than Lurker 1's post above, which is so full of suspicious phrasing that it can't be taken seriously.

https://webb.nasa.gov/content/features/bigBangQandA.html#:~:text=JWST%20was%20designed%20not%20to,down%20after%20the%20Big%20Bang.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 17, 2023 04:19PM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Imagine a sacrament meeting
> lasting billions of years.

The stardust* of nightmares.

*stardust: "a type of cosmic dust that formed from cooling gases"

Windbags. Gasbags. Take your pick from the Big-3.

I recently saw on Wiki that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is listed under fundamentalist churches. Maybe that's why they want to change their name (again)?

(Not that Wiki is an unimpeachable resource)

Date: July 17, 2023 09:31PM

I think the last billion years have been the best regardless of how many came before.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.