Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: July 14, 2023 05:43PM

last the millennium? I look at a site that shows the construction of these temples and I do not think so. If anyone lives close to the construction of a new temple I would appreciate your comments.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Northern_Lights ( )
Date: July 14, 2023 05:51PM

Will the last the decade?

Sooner or later that are going to buy a lot and throw up a steel building.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 14, 2023 05:52PM

Some used shipping containers

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 14, 2023 06:18PM

My brother is a retired builder of large projects. You would know a number of projects that he has supervised, either directly or indirectly.

I asked him about modular construction, which is what the Mormon church is starting to use. Much to my surprise, he spoke of it favorably, saying that it can be "as good or better" than traditional "stick and [I forget]" construction. He has toured a modular factory, and was impressed by what he saw.

He did say that with modular construction, there are certain design constraints that affect the architects. So what I inferred is that we can expect a certain sameness to future Mormon temple design -- which is already happening, IMO.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: July 14, 2023 08:05PM

Modular construction allows the work to be done in a factory environment by experienced employees. If they were assembled right the Sears Roebuck kit homes had better workmanship usually than a site built home. Why? The wood was cut and shaped on factory grade machines to a spec. What most houses get built. The framing has much to be desired. Most homes aren't built that well to be honest.

The church went to modular construction on temples because it cuts the build time in half. I don't know if it's cheaper. Also it cuts the headache of finding qualified workers where a temple is being built.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: July 14, 2023 07:59PM

The Flatiron Building is still there. It opened in 1902. The Empire State Building is approaching its 100 year anniversary. I'm sure steel framed buildings will last 1,000 years if maintained. St Peter's in Rome is 500 years old. It's still being used as a major religious building. Will it be around another 500?

As long as someone gives a crap and they want the building to be around they take care of it.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 14, 2023 09:53PM

Maybe they can make temples shaped like submarines, tight like unto a dish, so they can float in floods, survive fires and tornadoes, etc. They'd be easy to transport where needed.

Oh, never mind. I just remembered the point is land ownership, not building construction quality.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: July 15, 2023 04:32PM

If what Rusty says…that the end is getting close…why would they redo temple square, and keep building temples?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 16, 2023 10:04AM

It is a gravestone. If humanity survives another millennium then these will really be all that important? Sacred spaces need the passions of people to keep them going and being maintained. I don't Mormonism's temple building especially so many are going to stand the test of time.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 16, 2023 10:05AM

Plus, the temples have a steep price of admission.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.