Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 16, 2023 10:04PM

I haven't flown for many years since I'm no longer an important person. I don't miss it.

https://www.facebook.com/dw.travel/videos/176502568746141/?extid=CL-UNK-UNK-UNK-IOS_GK0T-GK1C&mibextid=2Rb1fB&ref=sharing

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 17, 2023 12:43AM

Yes. My arms get so tired.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 17, 2023 02:25PM

Someone had to say it! LOL bradley

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 20, 2023 04:35PM

Yes, but EOD will be furious that we didn't wait for him.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 24, 2023 04:02PM

Flying Squirrels don't flap.

Date: July 24, 2023 04:46PM

EOD does, especially when he's playing with his novel object.

[Sorry. Couldn't resist.]

Date: July 24, 2023 04:56PM

>> EOD does, especially when he's playing with his novel object. <<

So he multitasks?

Date: July 24, 2023 05:03PM

I think I got one nuance of my joke got past you, Roy. The least wholesome one.

;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2023 06:27PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: July 24, 2023 06:19PM

That's the one that counts!

Posted by: wowbagger ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 12:03PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> EOD does, especially when he's playing with his
> novel object.
>
>

I think he uses it as a rudder for steering. Not really playing at that point...

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 17, 2023 10:37AM

haha. Love that video. The sad thing is I was wondering if it was actually real or scripted.

I'm old enough to remember when people dressed up and showed class while flying and no one was attacking the stewardesses. And yes. Western airlines was the only way to fly.

I can't stand flying now and avoid it as much as possible. I actually had a woman next to me cut her toenails. But at least she wasn't allowed to smoke.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 17, 2023 10:54AM

Then there are those lovely individuals who put their bare feet up on your armrest. I read a funny solution to that -- sneeze loudly at the same time that you squirt a pack of mayonnaise on their feet. Problem solved! Apparently rubbing an ice cube on their feet can also be helpful.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 17, 2023 11:59AM

Infinitely Happy I haven't experienced bare feet / toenail clipping so far, but I HATE the car traffic pattern for EWR!!!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 17, 2023 12:11PM

Yes, with a passion born of terror.

Sadly, prevents me from travelling to the UK, where a good chunk of my heart is.

Posted by: Wyndr ( )
Date: July 18, 2023 05:02PM

Nightingale Wrote:
> Yes, with a passion born of terror.
>
> Sadly, prevents me from travelling to the UK,
> where a good chunk of my heart is.

The UK probably isn't what you think it's like. Most of it now seems to consist of big roads and warehouses. Hitler's bombs did a lot of damage to its built heritage.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 18, 2023 05:21PM

I've been there since Hitler. Liked it fine. :)

Lots of family over there. Too, my heart's in the Highlands, as the song says. Gotta get back to Scotland some day.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: July 18, 2023 08:14PM

You'll love this. My daughter is a scholarship volleyball player at a D-1 college in the South. Her boyfriend was the University's Male Athlete of the Year, a tennis player, he's also a coach for their golf team. He's from Northern England. He went home for 2 months this summer, he gets back in 2 days. His parents have a beach vacation home in Westport Ireland. She flew to Dublin, took a bus to the train station and then a 3 hour train ride to Westport. Spent 5 days there, then the family left to go back home. In 8 hours she was in 4 countries. Drove from Westport (Ireland) to Belfast(N. Ireland). They took a 2.5 hour ferry to Scotland, then drove 20 minutes South to their residence in Carlisle, England. Spent 4 days there, then 3 days in London and then flew out of Heathrow back home. I want to be her.

Date: July 20, 2023 04:38PM

Nightingale Wrote:
>
> Sadly, prevents me from travelling to the UK,
> where a good chunk of my heart is.

I can't travel to the UK anymore either. . .

Not since that unfortunate incident with the bomb.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 17, 2023 02:32PM

Have flown the Atlantic more times than I can count. Will fly it again in August (Boise to Salt Lake, SL to Heathrow) but do wonder whether or not I am running out of odds for safety. It's irrational but the actual flying part is generally far less stressful than the airport part.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: July 20, 2023 07:42PM

kentish Wrote:
> Have flown the Atlantic more times than I can
> count. Will fly it again in August (Boise to Salt
> Lake, SL to Heathrow) but do wonder whether or not
> I am running out of odds for safety. It's
> irrational but the actual flying part is generally
> far less stressful than the airport part.

You aren't running out of odds.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 17, 2023 03:20PM

The second-to-the-last time I flew, I was upgraded to first class.

The last time I flew, I wasn't upgraded to first class!

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: July 17, 2023 04:53PM

Not a fan of the cattle car approach to seating. The security theater is unpleasant but short. Otherwise flying is fine

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 18, 2023 03:22PM

Not if I do the flying -- I'm a pilot :)

Date: July 18, 2023 05:34PM

Oh, good for you. I've always loved flying. My ambition as a child was to be a commercial airplane pilot. Back then, I had all kinds of strikes against me -- bad vision, being female, and I didn't have a military background. The vision was probably the biggest strike.

My dad was a private pilot. He volunteered to fly in WWII, but they needed his engineering skills instead.

So my plan is to be a pilot in my next lifetime. :)

Date: July 18, 2023 06:30PM

It's like driving a car except the pedals make you yaw left or right, the yoke (i.e. steering wheel) makes you bank and pulling it in out make you go up and down.

Posted by: Gettinreal ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 09:56AM

Quite literally nothing like driving a car.

Date: July 24, 2023 03:50PM

You just can't go backwards -- well, not normally.

The mechanics of flying are not that difficult.

It just takes confidence and training.

Helicopters are another story, however :)

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: July 20, 2023 07:43PM

anybody Wrote:
> Not if I do the flying -- I'm a pilot :)

Yep, the front office is the best place to be on an airplane. I'm on the 74, what are you flying?

Date: July 24, 2023 03:54PM

Cessna 172, 210, 310, Bonanza, Seneca II, some time in a Pitts and a Great Lakes for aerobatic training. Also sailplanes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2023 06:37PM by anybody.

Posted by: Wyndr ( )
Date: July 18, 2023 04:58PM

I can't stand it. I have no fear of flying myself, instead my hatred is directed against airports and the naked greed and authoritarian mindset they represent.

I just spoke to someone who has arrived back from Italy. Their family's flight was delayed by 13 hours and they had to spend it in one of these revolting places.

If I die and go to Hell, ny version will be like that Tom Hanks film "the Terminal."

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 18, 2023 08:38PM

First flight when I was about 20. Last flight was 9 years ago and I had to be about 57. I have restless legs and they get much worse when I'm confined, especially the middle seat. I took 4 Xanax to make it home from Alaska. I prefer not to fly anymore.

I thought I should add. I didn't take Xanax very often so when I was on the plane I had extra. The doctor prescribed them when one of my dogs died and they helped that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2023 01:54PM by cl2.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: July 18, 2023 08:59PM

If it wasn't for the hectic traffic getting to the airport, walking a long ways to the check-in terminal, feeling like a drug smuggler by the TSA, throngs of people all chomping at the bit to get on first, being squished between strangers, and then having to sit still for hours, flying isn't too bad.

I haven't flown anywhere for years. The last time was to Hawaii about ten years ago and the five hour sit time was pretty much my limit. If I had a choice of flying for five hours or watching BYU fireside chats, I'd pick flying.

Date: July 19, 2023 08:05AM

Yeah, the airport experience leaves a lot to be desired.

I remember a time when flights had more generous seating and spacing, and if you were on a long-haul flight, you got a very decent, free meal. My eagerly anticipated first flight was at age 14. I was flying coast-to-coast with my older brother, in full uniform, on military standby. Our father had just died a few weeks previously, and he felt that we needed to get away to the California sunshine for a week or so. He was right about that.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 18, 2023 10:21PM

I hate airports. The flying part is fine. Being disabled doesn't help either.

Posted by: Betelgeuse ( )
Date: July 19, 2023 04:45AM

Posted by: I ( )
Date: July 20, 2023 04:15PM

Paper Airplanes (except on rare occasions)

MIA - Paper Planes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=ewRjZoRtu0Y

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: July 20, 2023 05:09PM

I don't have much experience flying. Only times I ever did it were on the US government's dime. A flight to Chicago to be transported by bus to Great Lakes for training, a flight home for leave, a flight with transfers to Bremerton, and finally a flight from San Diego to Salt Lake City when I was honorably discharged. I wasn't focused on the process so much as the destinations.

I'd like to fly somewhere more pleasent, but I can't do it for the same reason I probably won't have a wedding in the Hobbiton Set in New Zeland: Money.

Date: July 20, 2023 06:14PM

I had to fly a lot for work. I usually got a lot of work done at the airports and on the flights. It was always stressful when flights got cancelled or moved.

I don't enjoy flying anymore. I've been stuck on runways for hours and in airports overnight more times than I would like to recall.

Planes remind me of the experiments with rats where they kept reducing the space and increasing the number of rats in the space. The rats started showing aggression and stress.

Flying might be necessary now and then, but I dread the entire experience.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: July 20, 2023 09:26PM

Sat 9 hours in a Florida airport waiting to board, during Covid. Had to wear a mask all the time, while summer was in full swing along with my allergies. Since I live in a dry climate, the humid climate made it all the worse for me. Food choice was terrible, overpriced, and the lines to eat subpar cuisine was long

Finally get on the plane, sinus running like a river, its late and the person in front of me fully reclines their seat. Knees to my chin, I then have to swing partially into the isle. Of which every single person who walked that isle, and drink carts, smacked me in the knees.

Made an adjusted connecting flight, and the same seating issue happens. Plus, bought a soda in the connecting airport and its $6 for a $2 bottle of soda. Finally get to destination at midnight, walk half-mile to get out of the terminal, while loyal son picks up myself and wife. Finally get home at almost 2 A.M.

And people wonder why I hate to fly, and I will drive or take the train if possible before you can force me on a plane.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 01:28AM

I've been invited to my BFF son's wedding in Mexico end of October. I'm not going. Not in the mood to navigate airports and I don't do Mexico. He will be disappointed no doubt. My bad...

Posted by: Changeling ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 02:04AM

I worked in aerospace for a couple of years and when flying I start to think about all those parts in the aircraft moving around and whatnot, but it's a safe way to travel. I remember that bull **it story some church leader told when a twin engine aircraft lost a engine (Tip, don't turn into the engine side that is not working), I grew up in a aviation family and lot of people my folks knew were killed in air wrecks, but they were pushing the envelope taking risk and they knew it.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 24, 2023 03:46PM

34 years ago, my wife and I went on our honeymoon to Disneyland. We went to the airport dressed in sandals, shorts, and shirts. We each carried two carry-on bags and no other luggage. Then we walked directly to our gate and checked in.We breezed our way through the experience. When we arrived in LA, we just walked away.I wouldn't fly today for any reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2023 03:47PM by donbagley.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: July 24, 2023 04:39PM

My dad was a pilot, so I can't even remember the first time I flew. Like some others have noted, I'm not afraid of the actual flying, but I just don't like the logistics around flying any more. Flights are always delayed. Aircraft problems. Crew not available. No leg room. No meals. Baggage fees. Etc.

My daughters and I flew to New Orleans a while back. The return flight was a disaster. We got to the airport a little early, but the flight was delayed for 4 hours. Instead of arriving at 10pm, we arrived at 2am. The airport was virtually shut down at that time. No shuttles to the long-term parking--I literally had to walk to the car. That was not really what I wanted to be doing 2:30 in the morning. I'd left my daughters in the arrivals area with the luggage, and drove back around to find them sitting on the curb with our bags, because someone had told them they couldn't wait inside.

A few years ago we traveled west for my brother's funeral. We'd planned on arriving a couple days early, but only barely made it in hours before the funeral after two days of one problem after another. And the return leg was nearly as bad.

Date: July 25, 2023 10:31AM

Exactly, Stinky. I've had lots of experiences like that too.
The aggravation of it all ruins the thought of going anywhere by plane. I will if necessary, but it is not my idea of a good time any more.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.