Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 19, 2023 02:17AM

"Dog owners in a southern French town are having to get their pets DNA tested under new rules to tackle the scourge of poop-strewn pavements."

https://phys.org/news/2023-07-poop-patrols-dogs-dna-french.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Betelgeuse ( )
Date: July 19, 2023 04:41AM

They've been doing that in Switzerland for years.

Jus4 wait til they do this to humans.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 19, 2023 06:53AM

I don't know about you, but I NEVER crap in the street...

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 19, 2023 10:26AM

I knew you were a classy person!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 19, 2023 05:06PM

If it was done in Seattle, it would take years to get the human poop results. I would guess it would be the same in Portland, San Francisco, LA just to start.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 19, 2023 05:12PM

Betelgeuse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They've been doing that in Switzerland for years. Just wait til they do this to humans.

I'm in favor of it, as long as it's only used under a judge's order for police investigations, or paternity tests. If DNA testing were to become mandatory for all, my bet is that abortion would become widely available once again.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: July 19, 2023 07:59PM

You mean janitors can finally find out who the fuckshits that spit chewing tobacco into the urinals and onto the wall are?

Note: if one litters as "job security for janitors," this is an example of the Broken Window Fallacy. And, by this logic, the janitors have the option of providing "job security for dentists" if one is stupid enough to try using that fallacy.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 19, 2023 10:39PM

Date: July 20, 2023 06:01AM

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: July 19, 2023 06:31AM

There are some apologists who try to reconcile believing in this DNA science with believing in the Church. But they are being very dishonest apologists so it's up to me and others wanting apologism to be honest to set the record straight. Thanks to the Correlation program doing a wondrous job on my brain I just simply had to stop believing in DNA science once I discovered that it contradicts the Book of Mormon. The natives in the Americas are descendants of the beloved Father Lehi, not some land bridge crossing prehistoric Siberia-Mongol people coming across over 10,000 years before the earth's temporal existence started. On that last part look up the super sacred Doctrine in D&C 77:6 and remember that "D" doesn't stand for Delusions and "C" doesn't stand for Crap in "D&C" :) That's how you can remember about the Earth's total temporal existence being just 7000 years.

I still believe in Science, but I guess you could call it Correlation Science. It's a simple 2 step process for discovering truth.

Step #1 Brethren open their mouths
Step #2 Out comes the truth

If you ever get a washing of your brains to think the Correlation way then you too will be a follower of Correlation Science.

So, whose poop on these pavements? I'll ask the Brethren, not these DNA tests. They've become experts on poop anyway due to all the slothful toilet cleaners we have in the Wards of the Church because Heavenly Father needs to save money on janitors because he needs his Ensign Peak fund to be bigger.

Posted by: devoted ( )
Date: July 19, 2023 06:58AM

This is one of your best, Mr. Honest!

Date: July 19, 2023 07:52AM

>> If you ever get a washing of your brains to think the Correlation way then you too will be a follower of Correlation Science.

I was taught "creation science" in high school along with evolution. My excellent teacher told us that he was required under the school district's curriculum to present the "creation science" theory. All of my fellow students and I promptly rolled our eyes.

Posted by: Scoobys Doo ( )
Date: July 19, 2023 10:18PM

Just to make sure I understand clearly. None of the DNA from the middle east, and all from Asia via the land bridge?

While I don't believe the right like a dish sorry, i believe that perhaps there may be DNA incoming from just about everywhere.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 19, 2023 10:39PM

Scoobys Doo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just to make sure I understand clearly. None of
> the DNA from the middle east, and all from Asia
> via the land bridge?

That's what all the DNA indicates. There is not a corpse in the Americas from before 1492 in which there is Middle Eastern DNA.

That thesis has been addressed in countless studies with nary a contravening result.

Posted by: Scooby's Doo ( )
Date: July 20, 2023 12:35AM

Thanks for confirming that, was going to give some leeway to the accepted mo story of even a little was founded. Wonder if there is any Viking DNA mixed in somewhere

Date: July 20, 2023 01:11AM

I have not studied this in detail, so take it with a grain of your favorite seasoning.

I have never read of any Viking DNA in the Americas--ignoring, if they exist, the burials of Vikings who happened to die in Nova Scotia, meaning that modern Native Americans show no genetic trace of interbreeding. That doesn't mean it didn't happen: Nova Scotia was barren and sparsely populated, so it is possible that there were sexual liaisons that produced progeny who subsequently died out. Absence of evidence, after all, does not equal evidence of absence.

Curiously, there was a study done a decade or so ago that found in Icelanders a smattering of mDNA that is very similar to Native American mDNA. What that could mean is that the Vikings took one or more women with them back to Iceland. But that is not necessarily the right answer since the subclade of the C1 haplogroup that was found in Iceland is not an exact match--just very close--to the four American subclades. So it could be that some other group, perhaps Inuits further north and perhaps in Eurasia, contributed the mDNA to Iceland.

In summary, there is no evidence (that I am aware of) of Viking DNA in modern Native Americans except for that which entered the continent after 1492. There is suggestive evidence of the opposite happening--Native American mDNA introduced into Iceland--but the case has not been proved.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21069749/

Date: July 20, 2023 01:14AM

IIRC, the ancestors of all indigenous Americans came from what is now Japan -- not the ancestors of today's Japanese, but from an earlier people who lived there.

Date: July 20, 2023 01:44AM

Certainly not all, and possibly none. It's important to remember that Japan was a destination for migrations, too, and there may well have been source populations that contributed to the peopling of Japan as well as to the main body/ies of ancestors of Native Americans who crossed through Beringia.

The consensus is that the migrations began in the Russian Far East, east of the Yenisei River and perhaps from the region a bit further to the south around Lake Baikal. There are some interesting additional observations, such as a fairly recent study showing some possibility of a Han Chinese contribution; a 2019 study that found Native Americans the closest relatives to fossils near the Kolyma River in eastern Siberia; and, most fascinating to me, at least, a school of thought from a century ago that has gained much greater support in the last couple of decades that shows the Na-Dene languages of many of today's Native Americans are closely related to languages on the verge of extinction in the Yenisei River Basin.

It's also important to note that the linguistic connection probably stemmed from a more recent "back migration" of peoples who went to Beringia and then split into a group that populated the America and another that traveled back to the Yenisei. But there are definite linguistic, archeological, and genetic links between the Yenisei/Siberia peoples and the Native Americans.

Something like that probably explains the peopling of the Americas--excepting for the later additions of the Innuit and other complementary migrations.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 20, 2023 12:53AM

The brethren don't need DNA to identify the dog. They use their discernment after much sniffing and a tiny little taste.

Date: July 20, 2023 06:02AM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 19, 2023 07:04PM

But no shame seems to fall on all the police departments who are backlogged years and years on the “rape kits” they’ve got stored up . . .

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: July 20, 2023 01:08PM

I saw this on Dateline. Police finally arrested the dog in Tennessee and eventually found out he was a serial crapper across multiple states.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.