Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mankosuki ( )
Date: July 20, 2023 04:46AM

The eyesore of neighborhood temples. The sage continues with the church suing the city.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2023/07/19/mormon-church-sues-cody-over-planning-and-zoning-boards-denial-of-temple-plan/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 20, 2023 06:46AM

The Mormon church, always making an effort to win new friends. /s

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 20, 2023 09:33AM

Gee, a residential neighborhood doesn’t want a ten story tall lit steeple in the neighborhood. Imagine that.

Cody is not even that big of a city and is not heavily Mormon. Powell and especially Lovell and Cowley are much more LDS, but Cody is the largest city, and I think most important, it is a major tourist town for Yellowstone, so lots of out of towners.

Hence the LDS Inc desire to be noticed.

Posted by: Boyd KKK ( )
Date: July 20, 2023 06:31PM

WWJS

Who would Jesus sue?

A church suing is satire on religion.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 20, 2023 06:56PM

Who wouldn’t want such a butt ugly thing glowing every night in their neighborhood?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 20, 2023 09:59PM

We believe in honoring, obeying, and sustaining the law of the land

Except

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 20, 2023 10:08PM

I mean they'd never force their beliefs down the throats of others would they?

If I remember correctly, they pulled a similar stunt in Heber by going to the county and by passing the city.

The church holds itself above the law, above the democratic system and is without a doubt missing any form of concern for its fellow beings and their welfare.

Some day I hope they get torn apart as they've torn lives and communities apart.

I have zero respect for them.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 20, 2023 11:04PM

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 12:28AM

Went to eastern Washington last week thru Moses Lake, WA.

The temple is right next to the freeway, my first impression was that it was an over sized bounce houses one see at carnivals and kids parties.

Kinda embarrassing, so out of place with the simple architecture of central Washington.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2023 12:29AM by tumwater.

Date: July 21, 2023 12:23PM

The 'Seattle Temple' which isn't in Seattle, of course, is highly visible from I 90 at about milepost 11 in Bellevue, I'm sure its prominence was no accident. I was a member of the Seattle First ward when our Bishop, ' HD', chauffeured SWK around scouting sites...

Some of the ward members accidently saw them together, the rumors could have inspired a film by Spike Lee!!

At the start, there was a nearby general aviation airport in Bellevue, so Ghwads Temple had a bright strobe light near top of the steeple. that was permanently turned off when the airport ceased operations...

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 04:22PM

Actually the strobe was at the bottom of Moroni's feet which I thought looked cool.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 12:08PM

Tacky glowing cult monuments.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 01:04PM

Yeah, the locals are not in favor of this building. Cody already has limited building space, unless they go further to the east. Not to mention that getting a hotel room there during peak tourist season is almost impossible, and really expensive.

And while the Northern Bighorn Basin does have a large mormon population (and quite a bit of of polygamy), they are centered more to the east (Powell, Lovell, Greybull, Worland) around the sugar beat fields.

Not pissing off the locals has never been a mormon strength.

Posted by: Boyd KKK ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 07:36PM

God specifically told the Profits "do NOT build a Temple in Lovell - because it can't compete with the HyArt theater".

And you guys don't believe Russ & the gang are truly inspired?

Date: July 22, 2023 11:57AM

When DW #1 & I attended Seattle First ward (in Above $ Average Magnolia neighborhood) 2 stories went on my shelf:

* two generations of a very prosperous family got 'Special FP' permission to tweak the ward boundaries to attend where they preferred instead of with others in Sea First...

* An old-timer described that when the SL / COB people planned the Magnolia chapel, they specified trees for the planting strip native to (wait for it!) UTAH that were completely incompatible with the Seattle- PNW climate. Old-timer was flummoxed by the "discussion" i.e. Argument that ensued to change the minds of the SL people in this matter.

In Morland, these seemingly minor issues - matters can accumulate !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2023 11:58AM by GNPE.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 22, 2023 12:08PM

I do have to admit that based on what is in the article, the church's position ought to prevail. It sounds like based on the city council rules, they won the vote for the zoning change. I would guess that three people either not showing up or not voting means this was too much of a hot potato for them. Gutless wonders.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.