Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Toronto Boy ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 10:31AM

I notice my temple garments are falling apart really fast. Coming apart at the seams. Holes seem to be created in then. They just do not wear like the older ones made in Utah years ago did. I see they were made in China.

Just attended a seminar about companies that buy from China. They now must provide proof that none of their electronic components are being made with child labor or slave labor. Or they may loose contracts. What got my attention was "work gloves." They have to certify that the work gloves they use is not produced by child labor or slave labor. I did not know that gloves produced in China can be made of cotton picked in China by child labor or slave labor.

Back to the garments. How do we know the cotton, etc. used in garments made in China is not produced by child labor? There are several international organizations that can trace component materials to where they were made and purchased. For example I purchase a transistor, they can trace back all the materials that went into making that transistor. They can tell you the companies that sold the materials to the company that made the transistors and they can tell you if they are associated with child labor. They can tell you that the gold was produced by company "Y" and they used child labor.

So why does the LDS church not make a statement worldwide that garments that are made in China do not use child or slave labor? Its easy to do. Contact one of these organizations and they will research all the product components. Yes it costs a few dollars but at least church members who care will know no child labor was used to produce God's sacred garment. That could be extended to veils used in the temples, carpets, baptismal clothing, etc.

It not be nice to know to all products that go into temple buildings, etc. are not produced with child labor?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 10:43AM

I'm imagining a bunch of Chinese people laughing their rears off at the weird American long undies.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 10:58AM

and you're supposing that ChurchCo cares about child labor or the Chinese people at all?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 11:03AM

It sounds like when the MLM LuLaRoe clothing started to develop rips, tears, and holes. If you go with the cheapest cloth producer and/or manufacturer, that is what is going to happen. And the chances of the cheapest company also being ethical are dim, in my opinion.

You raise some good and valid issues.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 11:05AM

As a youth the church drilled into our heads that the garments were sacred and to be treated with extreme respect.

Now they are made in China.

I guess God has lowered his standards, and is on board with todays standards of capitalism and hording money.

Posted by: Waste ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 11:12PM

Silence is Golden Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I guess God has lowered his standards, and is on
> board with todays standards of capitalism and
> hording money.

Go lowered his standard with Joseph Smith and the standard works. Because they don't!

Today's standards of capitalism and hording - and WASTING - money is the good and bad ole' USA.

China just learned it today-

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 11:51AM

A high end outdoor equipment company used to manufacture their tents and clothing in Utah. The reason is they could hire people who were highly skilled in sewing.

A few years back they moved their operations out of Utah because they no longer could find the skilled labor that used to exist in the area. In short, the younger LDS don’t sew like mom and grandma did.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 12:08PM

ChurchCo Doesn't, Can't, and Never Will tolerate any form of criticism or even inquiries- introspection into their claimed inspiration, that would knock Roy Rogers off of Trigger.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 07:19PM

The church used to demand that all garments had to be manufactured by the church mills. That was to stop people from making their own, as my MIL did for my FIL. The church even had patterns that people could by. It seemed like a power grab with financial benefits for the church. This is really grabbing for more money by having them made by less qualified people.

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 07:27PM

Posted by: Well ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 11:07PM

BrightAqua Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

They are simply "recommended" to produce so much per hour or it'll be recommended they be let go.

Posted by: Oboy ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 11:04PM

Look!

Wear crap produced anywhere if you're not thinking about it.

But if you are, wear Patagonia and relax.

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 22, 2023 01:18AM

"It not be nice to know to all products that go into temple buildings, etc. are not produced with child labor?"

Meanwhile, the church shamelessly exploits you to perpetuate a real estate tax scam.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 22, 2023 02:14AM

The one piece pattern is unique, but if they just mass produce the two piece, it's just a t shirt with odd marks, long legged pants with an odd mark. Nothing special to see there.

Question on child labor though, do kids/teens help clean the churches?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 22, 2023 09:45AM

>> Question on child labor though, do kids/teens help clean the churches?

I've heard of it, yes. Some families come as a group.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.