Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 07:02PM

White racism on parade --

"Florida’s public schools will now teach students that some Black people benefited from slavery because it taught them useful skills, part of new African American history standards approved Wednesday that were blasted by a state teachers' union as a 'step backward.'

The Florida State Board of Education’s new standards includes controversial language about how “slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit,” according to a 216-page document about the state’s 2023 standards in social studies, posted by the Florida Department of Education.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/new-florida-standards-teach-black-people-benefited-slavery-taught-usef-rcna95418

"Another guideline directs teachers to instruct high schoolers about “acts of violence perpetrated against and by African Americans” when teaching about the rebuilding of Black communities during Reconstruction. The standards list the 1920 Ocoee Massacre, in which more than 30 African Americans were killed by a White mob while attempting to vote, among the examples of 'acts of violence perpetrated against and by African Americans.' "

https://people.com/florida-middle-schools-must-teach-slavery-personal-benefit-7563531

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Boyd KKK ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 07:33PM

Next they will be teaching that wiping out the Indians was good for them as it saved so many from having to stand for hours in long lines at the Dept. of Motor Vehicles.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 08:36PM

There's a meme going around about Florida teaching world history:
It shows a volcano. It says, "Pompeians benefited from lava."

(I don't know the origin to give credit.)

I'm guessing there are going to be a bunch of Florida jokes coming.

Posted by: Adirolf ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 11:19PM

Florida (it's gubnuh) is a Joke.

Florida is where Joke goes to Die'

I thought everybody did...
Rather than live, I mean.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 09:47PM

Something tells me that there were skills to be learned if they weren't slaves...

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 11:28PM

I disagree with your designation of "Off Topic". It is very germane to the LDS church right now. A great many current Mormons believe this very thing, in my limited experience.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 21, 2023 11:33PM

slskipper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is very germane to the LDS church right now. A
> great many current Mormons believe this very
> thing, in my limited experience.

Yes, I had the same thought. With the church's history and teachings it's on topic.

The trick is to try and keep it away from politics, which is intertwined now with pretty much everything but we can't go there at RfM.

However, I always appreciate those who know the church's history and doctrine much better than I do explaining some of the meat of it all.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 22, 2023 11:43PM

It didn't cover reading skills for some odd reason.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.