Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 22, 2023 12:14PM

I read the book News of the World. It led me from it's epilogue to the book The Captured which through poster T-Bone here lead me to the book Empire of The Summer Moon.

It is a wild ride literally.

So if you want a summer reading adventure these two non-fiction and one historical fiction books are fun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2023 12:14PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: July 22, 2023 12:25PM

I read Empire of the Summer Moon last month, excellent book.

Date: July 23, 2023 10:37AM

You might enjoy News of The World. The author basically had all of her research on the character Joanna from the book The Captured. Empire of The Summer Moon explains how The Comanche rose from horseless hunter gatherers. Very interesting.

Date: July 25, 2023 11:08AM

I just got to the history of the Spanish in the Empire of The Summer Moon with the plains Indians. I can make this on topic. The offering of Jesus albeit in his fallen form was never attractive to North American Indians. For a people promised by God they were very uninspired by the contact with the untranslated correctly truth.

Posted by: corridorchristian ( )
Date: July 31, 2023 08:35PM

Add The Color of Lightning, another Pauletter Jiles novel, to your list. Based on Britt Johnson, black Texas frontier settler and cowboy.

Posted by: corridorchristian ( )
Date: July 31, 2023 08:36PM

Paulette, not Pauletter.

Date: August 01, 2023 12:22PM

Thank you!!!

Date: August 01, 2023 01:17PM

There is an in topic aspect here I just thought of. I'm reading about all these trials about Indians and settlers. I'm not reading about Mormon pioneers. Some of the narrative deserves to be understood but can't be in the question of why these people did what they did?

With the pioneer it was the church. Somehow going to a harsh wilderness and homesteading or attempting to survive in a perilous situation is better if it is a gathering of religious?

I don't think so. I've learned not to question these long dead peoples. It doesn't matter to me if it was making Zion or manifest destiny. That usually isn't the whole story.

Forces sometimes are just that forces without a leader to take all of the blame.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2023 01:18PM by Elder Berry.

Date: August 02, 2023 11:55AM

I reached a part in Empire of The Summer Moon where federal troops were moved from fighting prairie peoples to camp out in the Utah Territory.

I don't even know what that was about. Is this an accurate description?

https://site.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/history/topics/utah-war?lang=eng&adobe_mc_ref=https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/history/topics/utah-war

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.