Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Salons and Board Boredom ( )
Date: July 23, 2023 07:21PM

We all know Voltaire, but who knows of the Marquise du Defand?We all know Horace Walpole, but who knows she whom he addressed this to:

“What a curious friend you are! You seem quite pleased with my gout, for your first reaction is to derive two letters a week from it. Moreover, you forget the first rule of all, which is that it is the patient who is to be cared for and not the patient who is to care for those who are well, a maxim that has escaped no one since Adam, except you.”

[Walpole committed/requested his end of his correspondence with du Defand to the flames]

It is the French women of the 17th and 18th centuries that we owe much of our European intellectual heritage to. In many important ways this is not an overstatement.

Seeing Henry Bemis make a rare mistake, substituting 16th cent for the sixteen hundreds, brought me to my reading of late. Thinking of the French Salon culture, I shared the following from du Defand in another group that is just as appropriate here, I think:

"I suspect that all the care I take has no other motive than to arm me against boredom; this is a sickness within me that is incurable; everything I do is merely a palliative; do not be angry with me, I am not to blame; your cousin could tell you I am doing my best and that I give every appearance of enjoying myself and of being content.” [trans. Richard Howard]

RfM is like a Salon; also, evidently, palliates a few cases of boredom.

Human

[Thank you to Henry for his legal opinions and more besides. Grateful he still frequents this ‘Salon’.]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 01:01PM

It may be like a French salon but it was designed to be a palliative for Mormondom not boredom.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: July 26, 2023 07:10PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
--------x-----------------------------------------------
> It may be like a French salon but it was designed
> to be a palliative for Mormondom not boredom.

Mormondom, boredom: same thing.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 26, 2023 09:43AM

This post seems a bit to be in the same category as "drunk dialing". Intellectual drunk dialing, but still . . .

Date: July 26, 2023 07:09PM

Ahhh…

Probably, yes. It’s summer.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 26, 2023 07:21PM

Come Halloween, I'm expecting a good drunk-or-treat post from you, from the parking lot of your choice!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 07:25AM

Hopeful a French parking lot.

Date: July 27, 2023 04:04PM

There’s summer and tequila enough before that; but either way, I’ll ensure the prose is tiré à quatre épingles, if I can.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.