Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Spoukz ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 07:16AM

In August 1877, within a week of becoming ill, Brigham Young unexpectedly died. The officially stated cause of death was appendicitis, although those close to him believed that his sudden illness showed signs of arsenic poisoning. Rumors began to spread about Young’s suspected murder, and, to quell those rumors, Deseret News published an article detailing his last days. However, those so inclined found that the details of Young’s symptoms supported their belief of arsenic poisoning.

Today, some continue the speculation that Young may have been poisoned, pointing to evidence that Young intended a dynastic takeover. Young had ordained three of his sons to be apostles (including one at age 11). These young men were seen as a threat to the other apostles’ line of succession. At that time, the Salt Lake Tribune also rumored that Young intended to abdicate his position at the upcoming conference in October 1877, and that his son Brigham Young Jr. would then become the next President and Prophet. Young died in late August, just weeks before the scheduled October conference.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 10:07AM

Doesn't time telescope shut when you have reason to be alerted to a date. My grandmother was born in 1877.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 10:45AM

IIRC, arsenic poisoning doesn't happen quickly, but over a long period of time. It would have had to have been someone very close to him.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 11:00AM

Whodunnit? And why?

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 11:08AM

Someone wearing old lace?

Date: July 25, 2023 02:02PM

T-Bone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Whodunnit? And why?

The two main suspects are female — one of his daughters and one of his wives. I can't remember which ones.

Something to do with a dynastic struggle. The claim was that Brigham wanted to set up a Young dynasty similar to Smith's within the RLDS.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 11:19AM

Seems Briggs liked sugar in his coffee and not the sage honey common folk used...also seems Briggs had marital plans for one of his young daughters and her mother was not in agreement...mother also served the brethren coffee and tea while they discussed the weighty affairs of the kingdom...seems Briggs was the only one entitled to use sugar hence the reason only Briggs died...it was professor plumb in the library with a tainted sugar bowl...or so one story goes...he seems a vile cunning miserable slug of a human being...good riddance

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 02:33PM

Any man who marries 56 women is asking for trouble.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 26, 2023 02:50PM

That's a great definition of BY :-D

Everything I've read about him has given me exactly the same impression as you, but your conclusion is perfect.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 11:38AM

Some 'saints' will say that ChurchCo needed a strong (i.e. authoritarian) leader for the move to DESERET in order to survive ... which obviously worked!

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 11:58AM

When the Timpanogos Indians became a little too pesky for him, he had his henchmen lace sacks of flour with crushed glass. Then the flour was given as a charity donation to them.

Hopefully, he was in much more pain when he died than the Timpanogos.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 12:05PM

Makes sense. Look at Warren and the FLDS.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 01:20PM

? I'm not following the comparison. Warren Jeffs is neither poisoned nor dead.

Date: July 25, 2023 01:36PM

Took over his father's empire. Through his father bypassed many others.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 01:09PM

The Deseret News, ghawd's own newspaper, insisted that Young died from a ruptured appendix, not from a nefarious helping of poison, of which rumors swirled throughout the Territory.

Shortly after Young's abrupt, yet overdue, step through the veil, the DN assured its loyal but curious LDS readers that an official explanation of Young's death, prepared by "attending physicians" and "others" present when Young kicked the bucket, determined that nothing amiss had occurred.

The paper assured its readers that Young had actually fallen victim to "cholera morbus," a condition blamed on him having eaten a combination of green corn and peaches.  (He died 8/29/1877...  Green corn at that late date?  Second planting?)

"LAST MOMENTS OF PRESIDENT BRIGHAM YOUNG

"In order to satisfy the feelings of many of our readers and answer numerous inquiries concerning the particulars of the last sickness of our late beloved President, Brigham Young, we publish the following, arranged from reports made by Drs. Seymour B. Young, F.D. Benedict, and others were present during the last hours of the President's earthly existence.

"President Young's sickness commenced on Thursday, August 23, continuing the whole of the afternoon.  He had an inclination to vomit, but he continued to attend to his business as usual.  In the evening, he was present at a Bishop's meeting in the Council House and instructed the brethren in their duties, speaking with marked point and power.

"At 11 o'clock at night, on retiring, he was seized with an attack of cholera morbus, the usual symptoms of vomiting and purging being almost continuous until 5 o'clock on Friday morning, when, at his own request, a mild opiate was administered hypodermically into each foot, to relieve the intense pain, caused by the constant cramping of the muscles.

"During the whole of that day, his sufferings were great, continuing through most of the night but becoming less severe toward Saturday morning, when he slept for a few hours.  This was the first rest he enjoyed from the commencement of the attack.  During the whole of this period, he endured his pain cheerfully and occasionally made humorous remarks as was his wont when he saw those around him inclined to be troubled.

"Inflammation of the bowels set in on Saturday at 3 p.m., and the abdomen commenced to swell.  One small dose, half a grain of opium, was administered at midnight in the same quantity.  Though small and given at long intervals, these doses tended to somewhat relieve the pain and retching, so susceptible was his system to any kind of narcotic or stimulant.

"Throughout Sunday, he continued to moan while awake and asleep.  When asked if he suffered pain, his invariable reply was, 'No, I don't know that I do.'  During the same night, his sufferings were less severe but continuous, although at 8 o'clock, he had a grain of opium and, at midnight, half a grain.

"On Monday morning, at 8 o'clock, he showed increasing symptoms of nervous prostration by constant moving of the hands and twitching of the muscles of the arms.  One grain of opium was administered, and from then till 12 noon, he had a very severe spell.  Another grain of opium was given to him, and at 8:20 in the evening, half a grain more.  At about 9 o'clock, he sank into a quiet sleep, resting without moaning.

"During Sunday and Monday, he had received, at intervals of half an hour, a tablespoon of milk and brandy, an ounce of the latter to eight of the former.  He was also frequently administered to by the various brethren from the time he was attacked until his demise.  About 10 o'clock on Monday evening, he sank into a semi-comatose condition, from which it was difficult to arouse him, although, by persuasion, he swallowed the milk mixture every half hour and a teaspoonful of ice water between times.

"At 1 o'clock on Tuesday morning, warm, stimulating injections were given, after which he thoroughly aroused and, by the aid of his attendants, got out of bed twice.  At 4 o'clock the same morning, he sank into bed, apparently lifeless.  Artificial respiration was resorted to, by which the lungs were kept inflated, and hot poultices were placed over the heart to stimulate its action.

"President John W. Young and others administered to him the ordinances for the sick, calling on the Almighty to restore him, and he subsequently revived and responded 'Amen' to the administration.  For nine consecutive hours, artificial respiration was continued.  At that time, he seemed greatly revived and spoke to those around him, saying he felt better and wished to rest.

"This condition remained until about 8 o'clock in the evening when partial prostration again ensued, and his case was considered exceedingly critical by the attending physicians, Drs. S.B. Young, W.F. Anderson, J.M. Benedict, and F.D. Benedict.  After consultation, an entire filling up of the lower part of the bowels by injection was determined for the purpose of creating an action through the alimentary canal but was not persevered in on account of fainting symptoms and the patient objecting to the treatment, which caused him to cry out with pain.  He passed the night in a semi-comatose state.

"On Wednesday morning, symptoms of approaching dissolution were plainly evident.  The early coma was entirely attributable, so the doctors say, to blood poisoning from the pressure of the swelled bowels, causing prevention of return currents of the circulation to the hearts and lungs.  At the time of his demise, he was entirely free from the influence of any opiates or narcotics, not having taken any for 44 hours previous.

"From the time President Young was taken ill until the hour of his death Dr. Seymour B. Young attended to him with the greatest assiduity, attention, and care, scarcely ever having left his bedside during the whole of the time, night or day.  In fact, the same can be said of all his attendants, who remained by him constantly and watched every pulsation and very change with the most intense anxiety and solicitude.

"Dr. F.D. Benedict remained with the patient the whole of Tuesday night and Wednesday until his demise.  Drs. W. F. Anderson and J.M. Benedict also attended at intervals during that time.  The temperature and pulsations were taken frequently; the temperature remained at 99 until 4 a.m. on Wednesday when it rose to 101 and to 105 just before his decease.  His pulses ranged from 120 to 128, the latter being reached after the administration of stimulating medicines.

"Not only the physicians named above, but the members of the profession of Salt Lake generally, expressed an anxiety to give all the aid in their power with a view to the relief and restoration of the President.

"On Tuesday night at about 10 o'clock, while lying in a kind of stupor, his son John W. asked him, "Do you know me, father?"  He responded, 'I should think I ought to.'  About two hours previous to his decease, when several brethren administered to him, he responded in a clear and distinct voice, 'Amen.'

"Since news of the great man's departure has gone abroad, messages of condolence have been received from all parts of the Territory, as well as from the different points of the union and from Europe.  No earthly potentate ever reigned more fully in his people's hearts than President Brigham Young.  And throughout the territory, while flags hang at half mast, and civic and religious organizations vie with each other in rendering tributes of respect to the departed, grief swells the souls of the Saints . . ."

("Last Moments of President Brigham Young," Deseret News, 31 August 1877)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2023 01:10PM by elderolddog.

Date: July 25, 2023 01:58PM

https://sunstone.org/who-done-it-the-nagging-mystery-of-brigham-youngs-last-moments/

This link gives one access to a 1985 recording of a Sunstone symposium talk.

I've only listened to less than 20 minutes of it (out of 55 minutes), and it's dull and dreary.

The pattern seems to be very clear: TBMs say he died of appendicitis; non-mormons, upon viewing the available facts, say by all appearances, BY died of acute arsenic poisoning.

Date: July 25, 2023 02:58PM

"During Sunday and Monday, he had received, at intervals of half an hour, a tablespoon of milk and BRANDY, an ounce of the latter to eight of the former."

Date: July 25, 2023 01:21PM

This would of course be easy to resolve now. Exhume the body and test for arsenic.

They don't want to know the answer.

Date: July 25, 2023 03:31PM

unless there was a qualified autopsy by an unbiased physician (impossible at the time), we'll never know.

Who would have wanted to poison him?

He wouldn't have made TIME MAGAZINE'S (owned by the RC church?) Man of the Year by today's standards!!

I think the truths that he left behind widows without provisions in his will And that he co-mingled his personal assets with ChurchCo funds is accepted as Factual.

How his widows fared after his death will be of interest to some, but IDK.

(last, you may have seen this before from me) the university in Provo should be named after Juanita Leone Leavitt Pulsipher Brooks; she Told the TRUTH about the MMM, BY lied about it, covered it up.

Date: July 25, 2023 03:36PM

> unless there was a qualified
> autopsy by an unbiased physician
> (impossible at the time), we'll
> never know.

Is it okay to support one or the other view?

Or is speculation totally out of order?

Date: July 25, 2023 03:45PM

Was Joseph killed by friendly fire?

Date: July 25, 2023 03:48PM

I don't know, but one can always hope...

Date: July 25, 2023 05:09PM

Mob love.

Date: July 25, 2023 03:50PM

Rather pointless now, don't we agree??

Date: July 25, 2023 04:05PM

GNPE Wrote:
-----------------------
> Rather pointless now,
> don't we agree??

It could come in handy when used as a tool to chip away at a mormon's testimony.

Also, someone might make it their life's work to promulgate one or the other point of view, you know, because one felt that it deserved that kind of support, despite what others, even a majority, might think.

Date: July 25, 2023 04:11PM

TBMs are rather impervious to Facts, I don't see others interested to the matter.

the Real truth of ChurchCo TODAY is that they don't live up to current sayings presented as 'revelations' or doctrine, the Grand Canyon is chump change compared to the disconnect between LDS claims & everyday reality.

Date: July 25, 2023 04:36PM

> the Real truth of ChurchCo
> TODAY is that they don't live
> up to current sayings presented
> as 'revelations' or doctrine,
> the Grand Canyon is chump change
> compared to the disconnect between
> LDS claims & everyday reality.

Well, that sounds terrific from the RfM point of view, but,...and I have this expert's opinion..., "TBMs are rather impervious to Facts ..."

Date: July 25, 2023 04:51PM

Reiterating - arsenic won't evaporate. If he was poisoned with arsenic, it will still be in the body. No reason they can't do the autopsy now, except for choosing not to. I suppose there would have to be a good reason to do it, or there would be a court case about disturbing a body or some such. I suppose that would prevail, since idle curiosity doesn't seem like that compelling a reason.

Date: July 25, 2023 05:02PM

Can you (we) imagine the fight the heirs / relatives would object to exhumation with?

Nope, I can't, but I have a vague idea on this; neither can I imagine a viable motivation / intent on the part of anyone close enough to do the deed.

As a possible criminal matter, that's as dead as Brigham is!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2023 05:02PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 05:03PM

Brigham Young WAS poison!!

Date: July 25, 2023 05:10PM

Love it

Date: July 25, 2023 05:27PM

Poison, meet Poison!

Date: July 26, 2023 01:07AM

TBM: I don't wanna break these chains.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eHWoAEVnFc8

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.