Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 08:50AM

I'm linking to the Reddit page so that you can listen to the four minute clip from the July 3rd episode of the podcast, "Human Stories." Host Jill Hazard Rowe interviews Jared Oaks, grandson of Dallin Oaks. Jared relates how he was repeatedly urged to "talk with grandpa" after he came out as gay in his late 20s. When Jared told a family member, "If he has any questions, he can ask me" she responded, "He doesn't need your help to understand anything."

Jared says that his grandfather's anti-LGBTQ+ rhetoric increased after he came out. He said that while Oaks made some effort to control it for a period of time, that effort was ultimately unsuccessful. Jared feels that Oaks is not able to control himself in this regard.

https://old.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/15af9gw/dallin_oaks_increased_his_anti_lgbt_rhetoric/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2023 08:51AM by summer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 01:01PM

I am so glad my family history is devoid of church leadership.

The hell some of the related kids go through has got to suck.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 02:14PM

My mother is the same age as many of the highest leaders. She has accepted my sister's polygamy with open arms when she had previously shunned her that told her that she never wants to see a sister wife or her children. Now those children see her all the time.

But she says she won't refuse to see her gay grandson but she said if he does show up she will not treat him poorly but will let him know that what he is doing is wrong.

Homosexuality is the hill most Mormon leadership will die on. It will take those deaths to change anything.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 02:21PM

I love this statement.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 02:50PM

> Homosexuality is the hill most Mormon leadership
> will die on.

Sadly, it isn't the leaders who will die from Mormon policy.

Date: July 27, 2023 08:26PM

No but they will keep their wagons circled keeping out the gays shooting their muskets.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 03:49PM

Unfortunately I would say Bednar has learned from the master and there will be many more to march up the hill before enough die on it to matter.

Date: July 27, 2023 08:27PM

Yep, really I don't think any allies exit in their ranks yet.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.