Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 02:03PM

I've always been perplexed with the fact that members claim to adhere to a code that they don't. It clearly states meat in time of famine and winter. I wouldn't have questioned it much if members weren't big red meat eaters. But they are consumers of meats in total disregard to their code.

I'm not saying they should be vegan, hell not even vegetarian but at least try to be less red meat eaters than the world. I even just read an article about a tick here in the Midwest that makes one allergic to a sugar in red meats. From Joe's Zion for Pete's sake!

But then I saw this - OpenAIs working on an image creator upgrade and here is something it produced - get your bread of life at Subway!!!

https://wp.decrypt.co/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/OpenAIt2i.png

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2023 02:04PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 02:09PM

There are a ton of overweight Mormons with diabetes. The word of wisdom is a bit of a joke really. Tea is actually good for you. You have these over weight people who don’t drink or smoke but they are hing to have shorter lives and health problems due to diabetes which is a huge killer right now.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 02:29PM

A bit of a Joke? You are being too kind, sir.

I feel sorry for them though. Food is all they have left after the church has stripped them of everything else as in time, money, and dignity.

And yes. In Mormonism sugar is a major food group.

Date: July 27, 2023 02:31PM

There are only two groups. Sugar and everything else.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 02:52PM

> I feel sorry for them though. Food is all they
> have left after the church has stripped them of
> everything else as in time, money, and dignity.

. . . and physical pleasure.

Date: July 27, 2023 03:47PM

uh . . . yeah!

Or, they are enhancing physical pleasure by making it verboten.

Date: July 27, 2023 03:49PM

I think the prevalence of Mormon obesity and tooth decay indicates a paucity of physical or emotional pleasure other than food.

And doing the dirty, to use Jesus's term, is only rewarding insofar as the pleasure exceeds the the monumental guilt and loathing to which Mormons are susceptible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2023 03:50PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: July 27, 2023 03:53PM

So then. You're not cutting them any breaks, are you.

Date: July 27, 2023 04:06PM

Alas, I venture that Mormons are starved of most of life's delights and hence stumble around in a sugar-induced stupor as they tell themselves it will all be worth it in the end. Responsibility for that state of affairs lies primarily with the church but to a lesser extent with the self-medicating members themselves.

I don't think many of them take much pleasure in life.

Date: July 28, 2023 03:06PM

The Jello will kill you.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 04:59PM

If you are forbidden to use tobacco, alcohol, coffee, and tea, what's left? Sugar. Hence the proliferation of the fancy soda shops in Utah along with energy drinks. Ice cream has also always been popular.

It could be pointed out that you don't need to put sugar in coffee or tea (I don't.) Nor do you have to put in half-and-half or milk.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 05:09PM

There are also multiple local chains of specialty cookie stores in Utah. There was just a major news story a few days ago about the settling of a lawsuit between two of the chains over something or other. I didn't read it.

And there is another food group besides sugar. Fats, as in ice cream, scones, In'N'Out Burger and the like, and half and half added to those ridiculous sugared sodas.

And cookies. Lots of fat (and sugar) in cookies.

Mormons believe cookies are the heroin that will cause apostates to crawl back to The One True Church Upon the Face of the Earth™

Date: July 28, 2023 03:14PM

Sugar is a problem for everyone. Starbucks is a carb bomb. Beer and wine are carbs. Alcohol itself is a form of carbohydrate. Many mixed drinks are loaded with sugar.

Sugar is a huge killer and it’s killing across the board including Mormons who really don’t eat that great.

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 02:14PM

Date: July 27, 2023 02:15PM

Wow. That is almost like just in winter!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 02:17PM

How do you tell if someone is a vegan ?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 02:21PM

They have pointy ears, like all Vulcans...

Date: July 27, 2023 02:24PM

You don't. They tell you.

Date: July 27, 2023 05:02PM

HA!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 09:15PM

WIN ! ! !

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 02:39PM

eat a lot of things like casseroles to stretch the food further as many have a lot of kids. I thought people had stepped back on the number of kids they choose to have, but all my neighbors each have at least 5 or 6. I do believe most mormons use hamburger in the casseroles more than steak and roast.

I'm overweight with diabetes that I've had for some time now. My "husband" has it and he is thin as a rail. It runs in their family. All his siblings have it and half are thin. There are three of us who have it in my family of 6 kids. My dad had it, but none of his siblings who were all overweight.

I didn't start gaining weight until when? Trauma can cause you to become addicted to food and my life has been full of trauma. I keep getting up and moving and we all work very hard, my siblings, etc., but it seems like I can't even catch my breath before something else happens to me. Like after the husband left, I feel like hibernating hoping things can't get to me if they don't see me around???

Posted by: Northern_Lights ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 03:21PM

I think being a vegetarian got lumped in with liberal politics and became a no no in Mormonism. Interesting to note the Westboro Baptist Church also list vegetarians as going to hell.

Date: July 27, 2023 09:03PM

Thank goodness one can still be a meat eater with the tick induced allergy. God had mercy on us Midwest souls.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 08:35AM

Food has never been political for me. I eat grass-fed beef, cheese, raw nuts, black coffee, and fruits and veggies. And I work out. Hard.

When I went carnivore, I quickly and effortlessly lost weight, my thinking got more clear, and I can work out harder and more often.

My wife is a vegan. She thrives on veggies. And she does yoga. I am a carnivore. I thrive on red meat. And I lift weights. We're both energetic and vibrant. But we couldn't be more different.

If someone wants to be a vegan, go for it.

The trick is to find what works for you, and then do it.

Date: July 28, 2023 10:45AM

Better than the word of wisdom that puts all people into the same health code.

Date: July 31, 2023 02:53AM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Better than the word of wisdom that puts all
> people into the same health code.

I stopped following the "Word of Wisdom" and started following the "What works for me" diet.

It took time because I still enjoy some of the things that make me feel lousy long-term, but are too tasty.

Date: July 28, 2023 03:17PM

I was a bodybuilder. If I did that today my grocery bill would be HUGE! The butcher shop loved me.

Date: July 31, 2023 02:54AM

Rubicon Wrote:
> I was a bodybuilder. If I did that today my
> grocery bill would be HUGE! The butcher shop loved
> me.

I'm sure it would be incredibly expensive. I can spend a lot on food, but I think of it as an investment.

I'm not 25 any more, and I have to think about the kind of body I want when I am in my golden years. So I invest.

Date: July 31, 2023 11:29AM

And on that note it seems many of the highest leaders rely on their god instead of diet and exercise to keep them healthy. Maybe Russ is changing this with his vitamins comment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2023 11:29AM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 12:34PM

I have a cartoon that I can't seem to be able to post, but it asks what's the common between a vegan and a cow...

punch line, both eat greens and pass methane.

Date: July 28, 2023 12:49PM

tumwater Wrote:
> punch line, both eat greens and pass methane.

Haha. I wonder if humans could evolve gorilla stomachs? I doubt we could get the 4 chamber wonder of bovines.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 03:54PM

I once knew a girl that had one leg shorter than the other. I don't knw if she was a vegetarian, but her name was Ilene.

Date: July 28, 2023 03:56PM

Oh, man.

You're giving cheap jokes a bad name!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 04:04PM

Date: July 28, 2023 04:36PM

No, but in the meantime he's stealing all the cheap jokes and leaving you with nothing to say.

It's criminal. It's cruel!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 11:48PM

The European Union has approved the addition of ground insect-based powder as a food additive. Modest, but major movements usually start with modest first steps.

I did see one meme (heads up, tumwater) of a person at a fastfood counter holding an open bun and telling the counter attendant, "I believe my social credit score entitles me to one more grasshopper."

Since you good folks wouldn't be following conservative forums, I'll share an exclamatory phrase you often see: "Oh, shut up and eat your bugs!

Date: July 29, 2023 12:22AM

Did the "Davos (W.E.F.) crowd" take a vote on the matter? Or are you just taking it upon yourself to speak for the 2,600 participants?

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: August 01, 2023 08:25AM

You don't notice it but you are already eating ground insects. If you have ever worked on a farm or at a mill growing or processing wheat, oats, corn etc. you'd have a better grasp of how many insect parts there are in common foods. Don't get me started on rat hairs.

Posted by: I ( )
Date: July 31, 2023 12:00AM

Ignorance

Mormonism in a nutshell

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.