Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 03:59PM

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2022/03/24/latest-mormon-land-why/

Dan Reynolds: ‘I still claim Mormonism’
With the recently announced return of Dan Reynolds’ LoveLoud music festival — benefiting LGBTQ youths — the Imagine Dragons frontman is again in the news and speaking about his relationship with his longtime faith.

The rock star told Yahoo Entertainment he still identifies as Mormon, at least culturally.
“But I’m not raising my [four] kids Mormon,” he said. “I think there’s a lot of things that I disagree with, that I think is hurting our kids. And one of those things is this [LGBTQ] issue, which is anyone ever telling our youth that they are anything but perfect, and that loving who they love is wrong in some way, or that there’s some God that’s judging that. Because there is no ounce of truth to that.”

Reynolds explained that the rest of his family remains rooted in the church.

“All my family — I have seven brothers, one sister, tons of cousins. There’s 40-plus grandkids. They’re all Mormon, every one of them practicing Mormons, in fact,” he said. “I’m the only one, who, I would say, is a nonpracticing Mormon. I still claim Mormonism because it’s my culture, right? It’s my people.”
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That was the opposite of my Mormon Dad's attitude. He thought the Mormon crutch was the best way to raise kids, in the 60's and 70's promiscuous culture of sex, drugs and rock'n'roll, even though he didn't believe in God and was inactive his entire adult life. He didn't feel like secular humanism was a better world view to instill 'traditional family values' in us, his children. So he pretended that Mormonism was this rock in a shifting sea of immorality. He always claimed that he admired the fact that Mormonism maintained the same values it always had, despite radical change brought by the sexual revolution. Meanwhile, little did he know or realize, the abusive Mormon CULT was enabling the abuse of my entire scout troop by putting a known pedophile in a position of power over our scout troop, because all of the Dads were too busy to go spend one weekend a month out camping with their sons, so they left it to the known pedophile. Fortunately my Dad had no love of scouting, since he was forced into it and didn't force me into it. Once I saw the deviant sexual behavior of my fellow scouts, I figured that wasn't for me and quit going. Unfortunately my fellow scouts didn't have that option and kept going. The only way you earned the right to get a driver's license as a Mormon was to earn an Eagle Scout award. The only way you did that in my Ward was to engage in sexual acts with the scout leader, who'd single out a scout every month to allow him to rape you, repeatedly and over a long period of time.

Mormonism is inherently abusive. Racism, sexism, homophobia are all forms of abuse. Singing the praises of a man who had his way with his follower's wives and teenage children, is abuse. The old Mormon habit of "Seeing no evil, hearing no evil and speaking no evil", just enables the evil abuse to thrive.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 05:47PM

I identify as a mormon atheist. I'm a WoW kind of guy, and dancing is bad...unless you do it to music.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 06:36PM

I saw a dog on TV dancing on it's hind legs wearing a party hat and a tutu. There was music. I'm not sure how old it was. Could that have been you?

Asking for a salty friend.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 07:02PM

I confess:  I wasn't always an Old Dog.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 07:20PM

Definitely had the moves....dare I say...

"you've got skills"

-Napoleon Dynamite

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 08:29PM

As old as Jagger.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 08:32PM

And almost as handsome!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.