Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 04:06PM

So, going to see -- not participate in -- a drag show is now "ungodly?"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jul/27/texas-teacher-fired-drag-show

A veteran teacher was fired by a private Christian school in Texas for attending a drag show in her own time and posting about in on social media.

Drag performances have become a popular recent target for numerous Republican-controlled states that have proposed or enacted laws restricting or criminalizing such shows.

The Texas governor, Greg Abbott, signed into law last month a bill that outlaws drag performances in the presence of children.
protester outside Florida capitol with sign saying 'drag is beautiful'

Leaders of the First Baptist Academy in Baytown ruled that Kristi Maris, a teacher at the school for 19 years, had breached a condition of employment requiring her to “act in a godly and moral fashion at work, on Facebook and in my community”.

Maris told ABC13 of Houston she agreed to the condition, but did not realize it prevented her attending a drag show, or sharing photographs or videos of it. In a Facebook post, she said the entertainment was “a blast”.

A co-worker who joined her at the show, hosted at Hamburger Mary’s, a popular drag venue and bar in downtown Houston, was also fired.

“I feel like we were treated like criminals,” Maris told the TV station.

“They’re entertainers. We were in disbelief. We still are. We were heartbroken. We had relationships with parents and the kids, and I didn’t even get to say goodbye to a lot of the kids.”

Maris said she was a devoted Christian and taught her students that God loved them all equally. “We should love everybody, and that’s what we’ve been teaching, but they’re expecting us not to do that,” she said.

School officials did not respond to requests from local media for comment. A spokesperson for Hamburger Mary’s told the Houston Chronicle it would host another show to raise money for the fired teachers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 04:07PM

Good heavens.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 04:37PM

Her first mistake was to work for a school that required her to act in "a godly and moral fashion" at work, in the community, and on social media. Hopefully she can find work elsewhere.

Posted by: Boyd KKK ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 05:09PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Her first mistake was to work for a school that
> required her to act in "a godly and moral fashion"
> at work, in the community, and on social media.
> Hopefully she can find work elsewhere.

Maybe she would have been kept on if she said she attended so she would know who to kill to please God?
After all, wiping out everyone on earth buy 8 favorites... Such a Godly thing to do.

Date: July 27, 2023 05:19PM

Many teachers will not work in the community in which they live for just this reason. They don't want to be judged for what they are wearing outside of school hours, or where they go. Many teachers are also cautious about who they add as friends on social media.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 09:48PM

summer Wrote:
> Her first mistake was to work for a school that
> required her to act in "a godly and moral fashion"
> at work, in the community, and on social media.
> Hopefully she can find work elsewhere.

Oh, I missed that little detail about it being a private school. That is more understandable in terms of the expectations they would have of an employee.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 05:34PM

I think I would be more inclined to support this teacher's plight if a public school had fired her. As it is, I think that those who work in private schools (as well as those who work in private employment all-around) are not afforded the same rights and protections as their public counterparts.

Date: July 27, 2023 05:40PM

I agree. This teacher (along with her colleagues) was impelled to sign a morality clause in her contract with the school. As I noted above, this required her to always act in "a godly and moral fashion". I don't know why she was so surprised that she was fired.

This is also why (public school) teachers' unions are so important. There is no way that a union would allow this to happen to a public school teacher. And lest you think this kind of behavior from school administrators is a rarity, it is not. They try to get away with all kinds of shenanigans. It takes union intervention to keep them in check.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 07:05PM

Can someone define precisely what "a godly and moral fashion" is?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 12:30AM

moehoward Wrote:
> Can someone define precisely what "a godly and
> moral fashion" is?

Precisely, but with todays judges, unfortunately this question won’t get much traction, the cards are arranged in favor of employers.. ex. Hobby Lobby

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2023 12:33AM by GNPE.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 11:10AM

to fire someone.

Date: July 28, 2023 11:15AM

Teachers are normally contract workers, though. I think different rules apply?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 09:34PM

yet another Blurr between employees and contract workers.

legal me: an employment agreement (wages + benefits for work) is actually a (often verbal) contract, even if unwritten.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 07:02PM

Man, that's a drag.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 07:54PM

Too easy, my friend. Even EOD would not stoop that low.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 11:30AM

I have to throw out a softball now and then, and he doesn't need to stoop. He's shorter than me.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 03:47PM

"He so stoo-ped," said the uneducated teacher.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 03:53PM

"But look on the bright side. At least he'll never chafe."

--Anonymous Los Vegas pediatrician in the early 1950s

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.