Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 06:06PM

https://site.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/new-era/2016/10/to-the-point/what-does-the-church-believe-about-evolution?lang=eng

"The Church has no official position on the theory of evolution. Organic evolution, or changes to species’ inherited traits over time, is a matter for scientific study. Nothing has been revealed concerning evolution. Though the details of what happened on earth before Adam and Eve, including how their bodies were created, have not been revealed, our teachings regarding man’s origin are clear and come from revelation.

Before we were born on earth, we were spirit children of heavenly parents, with bodies in their image. God directed the creation of Adam and Eve and placed their spirits in their bodies. We are all descendants of Adam and Eve, our first parents, who were created in God’s image. There were no spirit children of Heavenly Father on the earth before Adam and Eve were created. In addition, “for a time they lived alone in a paradisiacal setting where there was neither human death nor future family.” They fell from that state, and this Fall was an essential part of Heavenly Father’s plan for us to become like Him." (See Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, “Where Justice, Love, and Mercy Meet,” Apr. 2015 general conference.)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So, IOW, "It is a matter for scientific study", however, "our teachings regarding man’s origin are clear and come from revelation" we all came from the first humans, Adam and Eve, who lived in the Garden of Eden 6,000 years ago.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Despite the scientific fact, that we have 2% Neanderthal DNA in our genetic makeup, unless we're 100% African and 3% Denisovan DNA if we are Asian or Melanesian, both species went extinct about 35,000 years ago, meaning, we had to have existed as humans, at least 35,000 years ago and we were closely related enough to other species of humans, that we could interbreed with them and produce fertile offspring. All of which renders the creationism 'revelation' about Adam and Eve, meaningless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2023 06:06PM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 06:22PM

Going out on a limb again.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 06:31PM

That's what you do if you haven't evolved.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 06:41PM

Grrrrr...Growl.........scratch, scratch.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 08:59PM

This thread as a platform for attempting to talk about who knows what did bring to my mind something interesting.

Contrast these two statements.

“for a time they lived alone in a paradisiacal setting where there was neither human death nor future family.”

"In this premortal existence, we attended a council with Heavenly Father’s other spirit children."
https://site.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-topics/premortality?lang=eng&adobe_mc_ref=https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-topics/premortality

Humans were a family before their humanity?

What is the point of mortality if not to become gods? And this concept of family seems overblown and overwrought in Mormonism. It makes no sense. If you don't get a body you are still family. If you do get one you get to progress in a family. And if becoming a god is still a thing you get to start your own family.

There is so much gd family in Mormonism it is like being cosmic rabbits beset upon by bodiless siblings trying to steal your power of reproductive abilities from the fertile path of righteousness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2023 09:01PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 27, 2023 10:42PM

"paradisiacal" rhymes with "part of a bicycle".

Date: July 28, 2023 11:07AM

It's a stationary bike unless you are Mormon worthy.

Posted by: squirrely ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 12:48AM

Pay no attention to the thousands of fossils showing the progression of apes to humans and the fact that humans (homo sapiens sapiens, H sapiens florensis and H sapeince neanderthalis lived at the same time.

The church has no chance on human evolution. All they can do is say Adam and Eve existed and are the progenitors of our "race."

You have to ignore all the science to accept the Adam and Eve BS, when really the science explanation for humans is a beautiful and complete explanation.

Lying for the Lord is only way the church can maintain the Adam and Eve BS and the entire temple ceremony. Without the lying and conniving the whole thing falls apart. This applies to all religions that accept Adam Eve etc...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2023 12:51AM by squirrely.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 12:58AM

squirrely Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pay no attention to the thousands of fossils
> showing the progression of apes to humans and the
> fact that humans (homo sapiens sapiens, H sapiens
> florensis and H sapeince neanderthalis lived at
> the same time.
>
> The church has no chance on human evolution. All
> they can do is say Adam and Eve existed and are
> the progenitors of our "race."
>
> You have to ignore all the science to accept the
> Adam and Eve BS, when really the science
> explanation for humans is a beautiful and complete
> explanation.
>
> Lying for the Lord is only way the church can
> maintain the Adam and Eve BS and the entire temple
> ceremony. Without the lying and conniving the
> whole thing falls apart. This applies to all
> religions that accept Adam Eve etc...

But Wait!
There’s plenty of more Lying / Lies in the following acts, be sure to have plenty of popcorn ready!!

Date: July 28, 2023 11:08AM

It all pivots on an apple.

Date: July 28, 2023 10:36AM

They should have asked Bart, he always tells the truth...

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 12:37PM

I asked a similar question in a catholic religion class, the teacher responded and said the human body has changed to adapt to the environment that lived, but it was the soul that never changed as it was made in the likeness of the Father.

Date: July 28, 2023 12:47PM

Oh, I wonder what my soul looks like!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 12:48PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, I wonder what my soul looks like!

Same as what you believe the Lord looks like.

Date: July 28, 2023 12:50PM

I'm a cloned mini-me of a god that looks like Dr Evil probs.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 03:32PM

I'm wearing down my soul on one side...  I must be living a crooked life.

But thankfully, there's Shoo-Goo!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 03:34PM

At least you're in no danger of chaffing.

Date: July 28, 2023 03:46PM

My Soul doesn't wear any clothes with the exception of some public places (courtrooms, etc.), footwear when hiking or on an outdoor walk.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 05:02PM

What's evolution got to do with paying tithing? Their position on evolution is irrelevant.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.