Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rommel ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 07:55PM

I hate Mormon music.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 08:06PM

I hate organ music. Some people love it, and more power to them, but it's not for me. Many hymns sound like dirges.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 08:29PM

Yeah, the best mormon hymns actually use traditional tunes that were popular in the 1800s with mormon lyrics or are slightly modified traditional hymns.*

The worst mormon music is modern mormon music that is promoted by contemporary mormon recording sensations. Fortunately they die out quickly. Sorry Lex De Azevedo (SP?), dueling piano family ..etc

* A long time ago I used to attend Irish/Scottish folk session jams when I lived in Boulder. I was surprised I knew some pretty obscure songs - at least the melodies anyway. Poor wayfaring man of grief, If I could Hie to kolob etc. I think a lot of these songs are no longer sung.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 08:32PM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 08:36PM

I am not a fan of organ music or choirs. The rest of church music is tolerable compared to banjos.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 09:12PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 09:18PM

Depends on the music.

I felt great joy when enough time had passed for me to enjoy Gregorian chants without being triggered.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 10:01PM

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 09:15PM

Can't speak for current Mormon church music as it has been more than 30 years since I was in a Mormon church. Music across Christian churches is a hot potato these days. My own view is that in many cases the older generation has been somewhat thrown under the bus in favor of music and instruments that are believed to appeal to the younger generation. IMV it is shallow, heavy on angst, touchy feely, and repetitive. I have heard people describe is as "seven eleven" music...the same line repeated seven to eleven times. Some churches in trying to appeal to e veryone have gone to two services; one contemporary and one traditional. A move that is divisive IMV as it separates the older attendees from the younger.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 09:46PM

At age 8, my Mom enrolled me with a local piano teacher. At age 12 I was called to be the priesthood pianist/organist. Hence, I was groomed for church servitude early.

Many of the church hymns were slow and dreary dirges as Summer stated. I met a chorister who knew how to lead (not many do) and she added some pep to the tempo.

From then on, When playing an introduction to a hymn, I always made sure that the tempo was quick and lively. Hopefully, the chorister would get the hint.

Some hymns can't be salvaged such as Come Come Ye Saints. But, if the speed is increased a bit, and few few triplets are added, a little spice is nice.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 09:56PM

I attended my homeward a few weeks ago and I recognized none of the 3 hymns which were selected for sacrament meeting. There was only one hymnal available, and my mom was sharing it with the lady to her right.

I think the church always reminds the ward's music director to sing all of the lesser-known hymns.

Posted by: Occasional Geek ( )
Date: July 28, 2023 11:57PM

Summer,
I agree, a lot of organ music sounds like funeral music. Dirge!

Check out this lively fugue from Bach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuoxijdFKA0

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 29, 2023 12:05AM

if I could hie to kolob?

there are selected songs that the MoTab does that I think of as worthwhile, including:

'Columbia the Gem of the Ocean'

and

Deep River which I believe is labeled as a 'Negro Spiritual'

I chuckle to myself at GoodWill where I occasionally shop for used vinyl (to the dismay of friends!), I'm now in the range of 5k in my collection... When I come across MoTab records. I think they did a fair job of their Patriotic album, as I recall it has a few marches, tunes such as Battle Hymn of the Republic, etc.

I would NEVER buy one with lots of ChurchCo Hymns, that's a pinky promise I made to myself...

eta: A long time ago there was ‘news’ that new hymnals would soon be published… A friend about that time chided me for not having one at home; when I said I was waiting for the new edition, ‘friend’ told me- Well, that’s been scrubbed, so (guilt trip) I should buy one to have at home asap…

thanks, ‘friend’

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2023 03:11AM by GNPE.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 31, 2023 12:07PM

It burns me a bit how Mormons co-opt some important folk tunes from the Irish, like "If I Could Hie to Kolob." That was swiping the Irish ballad, "The Star of County Down," about a pretty girl with nit-brown hair. Then there is "Zion's Youth im Latter Days," or whatever the hell it's called. That was stolen from "The Boys of Wexford," a beloved ballad about ending the Irish civil war. When JFK visited Ireland, he also visited the town of Wexford, where his family emigrated from. A children's choir sang "Boys of Wexford" as Kennedy arrived. He was so taken by the song that the tune was used during the intro to the weekly Kennedy-inspired TV program, "Profiles in Courage," and for high school marching bands all over the states, the tune became known as "The John F. Kennedy March."

Don't know exactly why I hate it so much, except for the fact that it is part and parcel of the continuing saga of Mormons' plagiarism in all things, and that they lay claim to all that they swipe.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: July 29, 2023 07:01AM

My mom was a church organist for over 50 years. Loving church music was an absolute necessity for living in her house, because she often practiced at home. ;)

Church music is pretty much the one thing I did enjoy about going to the (Presbyterian) church I was raised in. It wasn't until I was older that I got any value from sermons, and even those were kind of iffy. It depended on how gifted the minister was at conveying a message.

I actually find comfort in hymns, and if they are well played on pipe organs and well sung by talented choirs, so much the better. But I can understand why some people dislike church music. I kind of feel that way about most contemporary Christian music and/or auto tuned pop music.

My husband's LDS daughter is currently learning to play the organ and, from what I understand, is now called to play at church. I hope that experience doesn't sour her on becoming a musician.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 29, 2023 07:55AM

>> My husband's LDS daughter is currently learning to play the organ and, from what I understand, is now called to play at church.

It must be a rare talent nowadays.

Did your mom have an organ in your home? Or a piano? I think I personally would do better with piano music. I should amend what I said above to say that I have heard some lovely CoE music. I guess what I grew up with just didn't cut it. I was always so bored in church. There was nothing for me there. When I got a bit older, and was able to sit in the choir with my friends -- that was my only relief.

Date: July 29, 2023 08:06AM

When I was very young, we had a piano and an organ. Mom got rid of the organ when she bought her last house (she now lives in an assisted living apartment). I think she got rid of it because there was no practical place to put it in that house. She started playing organ for money when she was 14. She’d play at the Episcopalian church, then go play for the Baptists.

My mom even got a full scholarship to Southern Seminary Junior College (now Southern Virginia University, the BYU of the East), because she was a Buena Vista townie and agreed to play piano for the glee club. I always got the sense playing the organ was more of a business move for her, than a religious one.

I have inherited the piano, which was gifted to her when she was about ten years old. It’s technically a spinet. The piano is currently in storage in Texas, though. I don’t really play. I took lessons when I was very young, but didn’t stick with it. Turns out I am more of a singer. I wish I could play piano. Still working on guitar.

I’m pretty sure the lady who is teaching my husband’s daughter was looking for anyone who likes music. Husband’s daughter wanted to take music lessons, but her mother wouldn’t let her. She taught herself some skills by using YouTube.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2023 09:21AM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 29, 2023 10:44AM

So.

You make remember how many of the great rock bands from the 60's used organs. Yea, even the Doors and Animals to name two. Pink Floyd. And I still love them.

But, the organ was phased out. Some say because it was too much trouble to lug around a 400 lb Hammond on tour. But most likely it was because the human ear, like all things human, wanted the new, the next, and went crazy for synthesizers and all thing's electronic.

So, again.

The Mormons, as they do, stuck with the 50's and 60's like they are married in the temple to those decades for time and all eternity.

If they had allowed some new music in the chapel, in the
GC, would they be a little better off today? Would retention and conversion be on the upswing? Maybe. Although it is hard to imagine Oaks and Bednar rapping some rhymes. Ewww.

Date: July 29, 2023 02:23PM

My late uncle played organ in a rock band. He was self taught and loved his Hammond B3. He taught me to love organs in rock music. I will never forget watching him figure out songs. He’d play them in his living room and pick them out on the organ until he knew it by heart.

I miss him. He was probably my favorite relative.

Date: July 29, 2023 02:33PM

sorry to hear about your Uncle;

btw, what happened to the B3? an intact, working one would be very valuable!!

Date: July 29, 2023 02:49PM

My uncle’s son is a professional musician. My guess is that he either has it, or it’s still at the family homestead. My cousin plays bass guitar professionally, but is proficient on a bunch of instruments. I also have an aunt who plays organ, but like my mom, she’s a church organist type. She probably doesn’t play anymore at her age.

Got lots of musical folks on both sides of my family. That’s one of the things I miss about being home in Virginia. Our family reunions are awesome and always have live music.

Date: July 29, 2023 02:52PM

Could be worth $ 11 k, seen some on ebay about that with leslie speaker(s) & bench…

Date: July 29, 2023 02:57PM

I remember when he bought it. I think he got it at an auction. He was so excited, and was always really good with his hands. He fixed it up and played it faithfully for decades. I’d be surprised if my aunt ever sold it. I think it was his most prized possession.

Posted by: I ( )
Date: July 30, 2023 11:41PM

Rommel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hate Mormon music.

EVERYTHING

The whole 'church' thing, the music, the talks, the people...

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: July 31, 2023 03:21AM

Praise to the man! That one is an abomination.

I never liked Mormon hymns. And when I visited a different church, I figured out why.

Mormon organists play hymns way too sloooooow.

I've been living a hymn-free life since about 2004. Never looking back.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: July 31, 2023 08:08AM

There is a 24 hour gym I use 3-4 times per week near my home. It is a great little gym with few folks exercising between 10:30 AM and 1 PM. The only problem is that it blasts (at times) Christian music. I am grateful for blue tooth headphones to listen to podcasts or music of my choice.

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: July 31, 2023 11:21AM

"Joy to the World" so that it wasn't a Christmas song.

Most of the songs are sung too slowly, like a dirge.

This is coming from a former ward music leader (hah!) and choir director....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.