Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: July 29, 2023 05:40PM

https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/45128/20230728/elon-musk-launches-new-ai-company-proposes-truth-seeking-chatbot.htm

“An Alternative Chatbot Model, The company, called xAI, will be led by Musk in collaboration with researchers from companies such as Google Research, DeepMind, and Microsoft Research. It will be separate from Musk's other businesses, such as Twitter and Tesla. The new business venture has 12-strong team plans that aim to understand the universe's true nature. The director of the nonprofit Center for AI Safety, Dan Hendrycks, was appointed its advisor.

Musk hinted that he chose July 12, 2023, as the date of announcing the debut of xAi is connected to a science fiction classic, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams. In a Twitter post, Musk explained that adding the date 7-12-23 equals 42, which was famously postulated by the novel to be the answer to life.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2023 06:40PM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 29, 2023 05:58PM

Funny that he's posting on 'Twitter'.

And if he's the one who has the answer to life we're all in bigger trouble than we thought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2023 05:58PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 29, 2023 06:24PM

xAI may work out. But only assuming Musk is not allowed to manage it.

Date: July 29, 2023 06:49PM

Why is that funny?
I don’t get it.
Because he changed Twitter to X?
I think it’s a process.
I think it’s kind of funny that he launched it on 7-12-23, because it = 42.
But if he is committed to finding the truth, I’m 100% for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2023 06:49PM by schrodingerscat.

Date: July 29, 2023 09:54PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why is that funny?
> I don’t get it.
> Because he changed Twitter to X?

Yes, funny, because it's not called Twitter any more. Except by all of us who can't yet get used to the name change.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 29, 2023 07:01PM

Most humans only want "The Truth" when it confirms their already existing notions and beliefs.

I include myself in this category, although I hope I'm able to accept "The Truth" when it confronts and overturns a preconceived notion and/or belief.

Imagine my chagrin should Jesus descend into Salt Lake City from Heaven once the temple renovation is completed...

But what if Jesus and his angels are just inter-galactic hustlers intent on fleecing the Corporation Sole!!

Date: July 29, 2023 07:09PM

Did you know that gnu dung is a palindrome?

Date: July 29, 2023 07:22PM

Ah, Gnu dung is signud ung, ha!

If you get my drift...

Date: July 29, 2023 07:32PM

.emordnilap a sa looc sa rean erehwon si taht ,esoog yllis uoy ,oN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2023 07:33PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: July 29, 2023 07:40PM

Now with the Arabic!!!

Date: July 29, 2023 08:59PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Most humans only want "The Truth" when it confirms
> their already existing notions and beliefs.

Generally true, but xAI aims to “understand the true nature of the universe.” Not “Confirm our Preconceived biases”

Date: July 29, 2023 09:07PM

My basic point is that whatever xAI figures out, a segment of the population will want to hold tight to the notion that xAI is mistaken because it conflicts with what they want to be "true."

Luckily, you and I have no preconceived notions, so we're good to accept whatever our AI overlords tell us to accept. AImen!

Date: July 29, 2023 09:45PM

Teeheehee!

Date: July 29, 2023 11:40PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> My basic point is that whatever xAI figures out, a
> segment of the population will want to hold tight
> to the notion that xAI is mistaken because it
> conflicts with what they want to be "true."

There have always been people who attach their identities to a larger group with a charismatic leader and deny reality. Somehow we survived with those people in charge of the nukes for the past 70yrs.

Musk is still very concerned about the impending singularity/AI Apocalypse and he is highly motivated to use AI for good, to find out the true nature of the universe.

I think that is the aim of science and religion.

> Luckily, you and I have no preconceived notions,
> so we're good to accept whatever our AI overlords
> tell us to accept. AImen!

I have no problem admitting I have preconceived notions.
My whole world view is pre-conceived.

I believe what Einstein believed about the true nature of the cosmos, and what Hawking/Penrose and Higgs believe about the true nature of the cosmos.
And for the most part, the Dalai Lama, who is the only religious leader I’ve ever heard say,”If some scientific discovery contradicts my beliefs, I have to change my beliefs, even if it was the Buddha who said it.”

But I would love nothing more than to live to find out the true nature of the cosmos and if xAI can do that, before the singularity, that’d be awesome!

I think that’s what Musk is trying to head off.

On another, but related front,
Musk has a front row seat on the economy of the world and is the richest man on Earth. And he is colonizing Mars.

What character is he in Star Wars? Or the Mattix

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/07/28/business/starlink.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2023 11:50PM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 30, 2023 12:02AM

>Musk is still very concerned about the impending singularity/AI Apocalypse and he is highly motivated to use AI for good, to find out the true nature of the universe.

And you believe all this because Elon said so?

And if xAI does tell us the true nature of the universe, how will we be able to recognize whether it is correct or not?

Date: July 30, 2023 12:34AM

Elon Musk is a sociopath who cannot run a company.

As Walter Isaacson, who is writing Musk's AUTHORIZED biography said the other day, Musk has neither empathy nor a natural feel for other people's emotions; in short, he is a psychopath or at least a sociopath. But of course we can infer that from the way he treats his wives, girlfriends, children, and key employees.

Isaacson also said Elon has "demon mode" that is "highly destructive." He destroyed X.com by attacking his partners in 1999-2000; then threatened to ruin Paypal until he was bumped out of management and into the passive position of chairman of the board in the early 2000s; and now he is destroying Twitter, in part by firing anyone with the competence to challenge his whims. It's taken a lot of work to do what he's done to Twitter; normal people could not not do so much harm.

His successes, conversely, have been managed by other people--Peter Thiel at Paypal, collectives at Tesla and SpaceX, and Alex Karp at Palantir. That's why he can simultaneously serve as CEO of so many companies: he isn't really in control. If he is, the company loses market value with lightning speed.

Other evidence of his sociopathy includes his abuse of the man who rescued Thai children from that cave--"pedo guy" in Musk's libelous and untrue words--and his serial conflicts with, and fines from, the SEC. You can also see his lack of conscience in his incessant need to be in the headlines and his constantly changing positions: AI is great, AI will ruin the world, I'm going to do AI and save the world.

Like Joseph Smith and other charlatans, Musk is a charlatan and a cult leader. People who see him as the future of mankind, or as kind, or as moral, are profoundly deceived.

Date: July 30, 2023 12:34AM

I'm sure that anything xAI says that conflicts with any of Elon's preconceived notions will be handled appropriately.

Date: July 30, 2023 12:39AM

Musk has never said that the purpose of xAI is to find "the true nature of the universe." He doesn't even pretend that is his objective.

Date: July 30, 2023 12:35AM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> And if xAI does tell us the true nature of the
> universe, how will we be able to recognize whether
> it is correct or not?

Trust Musk?

Date: July 30, 2023 12:45AM

The alternative is we get the the AI singularity and never get any closer to finding out the true nature of the cosmos.

A few AI scientists didn't sign the letter warning us that the singularity was about 6 months away, 3months ago.

Because they think it's too late.

https://time.com/6266923/ai-eliezer-yudkowsky-open-letter-not-enough/

Posted by: Cafeteria Mormon ( )
Date: August 03, 2023 02:53AM

I wrote a paper as part of my masters degree program in computer science describing in detail why this is so. What genetic/bio engineers might be able to accomplish in this regard is a different matter.

Nuclear conflict is a much bigger threat to humanity than; a digital singularity, climate change, or an attack by extra-terrestrials.

Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: August 03, 2023 07:22PM

Why do people forum cult-like attachments to the very worst humanity has to offer?

Date: August 03, 2023 07:52PM

+1

Date: August 03, 2023 08:08PM

That’s a whole field of study, but groupthink, tribalism and herd mentality is much easier than thinking for yourself, independently reasoning.

What do the following have in common?

Germans under Hitler
Chinese under Mao
North Koreans under Kim
Japanese under Hirohito
People under Jim Jones
Mormons under The Prophet

They’re all cases where a charismatic leader grew so powerful he convinced his followers to be abused (or killed) or to abuse (or kill) others, on his behalf.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2023 11:38PM by Maude.

Date: August 04, 2023 01:02AM

Hirohito wasn't a charismatic leader. The Japanese people didn't even hear his voice until he was surrendering to the United States at the end of World War Two.

But Musk belongs on your list. He is a charismatic cult leader, a sociopath who cares only about self-aggrandizement and has collected a gaggle of groupies to fan the flames of his ego like so many Zoroastrian priests.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 03, 2023 10:31PM

It smells a bit musky in here.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: August 04, 2023 04:19AM

Elon Musk has big plans for the platform.

Does everybody know about WeChat or LINE? They both started as chat platforms like WhatsApp, but have grown into massive multi-use platforms.

I'm not as familiar with WeChat, but we use LINE In Japan. It started out as a replacement for text messages, but LINE has grown into a payment platform, peer to peer payments, and a news platform. You can check the weather, get coupons, and do your shopping online.

You can also use LINE to make audio and video calls, which don't burn your minutes. Since most plasn in Japan have unlimited data, people use LINE to call each other instead of the phone app.

Elon Musk plans to make the X platform everything AOL started out to be, but failed. Now that WeChat and LINE have succeeded, the path has been paved to make X the whole center of online life.

X is also paying creators, kind of like the YouTube partner program.

We are in the attention economy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.