Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Walking in Darkness ( )
Date: July 30, 2023 12:21PM

Is the admonishment of "loud laughter" still in the temple endowment? Hearing that in my first temple endowment (first of two) in 1973 starting me seriously questioning the truthfulness of the Mormon gospel. I aways placed a high value on humor and the thought of stifling my laughter was abhorrent to me. Is there a GA who is known for his/her humor and isn't allowed to share it in General Conference because of the tight rein on talk content and being serious (spiritual)?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 30, 2023 03:47PM

There's another recent thread that touches on this topic:

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2484705

You don't really think of church higher ups having a sense of humor, do you? "Humorless" is a good description for them. It's rather sad, isn't it?

Posted by: madeguy ( )
Date: July 31, 2023 10:35PM

They want to destroy your individuality. Laughing shows you're happy with yourself. It reveals a sense of freedom.

You're supposed to be a cog in our machine. You work for us. You are nothing.

How dare you laugh out loud. Do you question us? Get in line.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 31, 2023 10:37PM

> They want to destroy your individuality. Laughing
> shows you're happy with yourself. It reveals a
> sense of freedom.

+1

Posted by: Boyd KKK ( )
Date: August 01, 2023 09:14AM

Wonder why Decimal Meters aren't installed in Church buildings to monitor this?

You laugh over the limit - Bishop calls you in for counseling, or maybe to hear the joke?

Laugh too loud twice or three times? Which triggers disfellowship?

If you tried making up crap like this in a novel no one would believe anyone could be so stupid.

Posted by: Northern_Lights ( )
Date: August 01, 2023 11:24AM

Once somebody from the Stake presidency admonished the ward I was attending that there was too much chatter before the meetings and we were not being reverent.

After some little boy from Primary would be placed up front with a sign reading "Reverence" to remind us all to be quiet. Killing every sense of community and they wonder why they can't keep people around.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 02, 2023 03:02AM

Northern_Lights Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Once somebody from the Stake presidency admonished
> the ward I was attending that there was too much
> chatter before the meetings and we were not being
> reverent.
>
> After some little boy from Primary would be placed
> up front with a sign reading "Reverence" to remind
> us all to be quiet. Killing every sense of
> community and they wonder why they can't keep
> people around.

I remember this. It must have been a church wide directive. Around the same time, they used to make a BIG DEAL about the prelude music as they wanted ZERO talking inside the chapel. As I recall, members started doing all their chit-chatting outside the chapel. So they started assigning the Aaronic priesthood to stand in the foyers to remind people to shut up and move to the chapel.

Date: August 01, 2023 11:52AM

Do you know that some school teachers have noise monitoring machines in their classrooms? It's like a stoplight system -- a yellow light means the noise level is rising, and red means it's too high.

I would just talk to my class when they got too loud. Some teachers have hand signals. Or if the kids are really bouncy, you play "the quiet game" or have the entire class take a 10-minute time out, with heads down on desks. Perhaps the Mormon church could use fome of these techniques? :p

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 02, 2023 03:26AM

Summer,

The church already has something to calm members down, it's called the temple endowment. On my first time (which was awful because I didn't know about being naked and having my privates touched by a complete stranger) I was told to pay close attention during the "temple film". They turn off the lights and play their "in the beginning" movie with pulsating elevator music.

Surrounded by men 3 times my age, the bishop sitting on my left and my father sitting on my right immediately fell asleep. In a short time, the two rows in front of me were zonked out. I thought I was in the middle of a sawmill because so many men were sawing logs~ snoring away.

Date: August 02, 2023 04:21AM

I've seen some movies multiple times, but even I have my limits! :D

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 01, 2023 09:09PM

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: August 01, 2023 09:21PM

When you tell a joke in Sunday school that is so good that the Bishop calls you into his office and wants to hear it.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 02, 2023 12:07AM

My dearly beloved dad loved to laugh...loudly. I miss hearing that laugh still...23 years after he died. He would have had an opinion on these BS orders from on high.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 02, 2023 12:04PM

If one were to have laughed loudly naked in their initiatory would they be immediately disqualified from the CK?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.