Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: August 03, 2023 06:14PM

I refused to think of marriage as an ecclesiastical assignment.

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: August 04, 2023 05:53AM

I think marriage is unconstitutional.

Allowing a person in a bathrobe waving his hands and mumbling magic words to perform a legally binding civil contract is plain wrong.

Needing the state or the church to give permission to live together, have sex and procreate is wrong.

Giving economic and social preferential treatment to married folks that are unavailable to singles, including the widowed is wrong.

Economically and socially punishing people who no longer want to be married is wrong.

I vote to do away with marriage as a civil contract and rewrite the laws to allow all people the same rights.

If someone wants to play the marriage game ok, no problem, nust let it be a religious event not a civil event.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 04, 2023 07:56AM

I'm the opposite. I like the way the French do marriage -- treating it as a civil event/contract, and then letting the religious do as they please afterward. Marriage conveys an array of legal benefits that can normally be duplicated in other ways, if desired.

As for discrimination against singles, yes, I've had that my entire life, although it's not terribly noticeable now. It was noticeable when I was younger, though. We've always had to pay full freight.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 04, 2023 12:27PM

A simple defense of viewing Marriage as a contract is that actions have foreseeable consequences, and in a just society, the disproportionate strengths of two bargaining positions ought to be made level.

Plus, THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!  And the attorneys' fees!!!

Posted by: madeguy ( )
Date: August 05, 2023 06:21PM

It's really about permission to have sex.

They pile the guilt on you when you're single about the "sin next to murder" if you dare touch someone else.

It's a form of control. After you consummate the marriage, they control you in other ways, and you know what those are.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: August 05, 2023 08:14PM

Indeed. They just can't survive without attempting to control everything.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.