Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: None Mouse ( )
Date: August 04, 2023 09:22AM

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/bishop-killed-himself-third-day-534624

A former Mormon bishop whose body was found washed up on a Devon beach during his trial for alleged sex offences against two girls took his own life.

Stewart Allsford, 66, of Davies Avenue, Paignton, went missing from his home in the early hours of June 7. An extensive search was launched, involving the coastguard helicopter and RNLI lifeboat, after his car was found with the keys in the ignition at Berry Head in Brixham.

An inquest in Torquay on Tuesday heard that his body was found at Seaton in East Devon three days later, on June 10, by a holidaymaker who had been walking along the coastal path.

On the day he went missing, Mr Allsford had been due to attend the third day of his trial at Exeter Crown Court. He had admitted indecently assaulting a girl when she was 14 but denied five other charges of sex abuse and one of abducting a child under 16.

Glasgow-born Mr Allsford was a representative of the Church of the Latter-day Saints, or Mormons, at the time of the alleged abuse in the 1990s.

The inquest on Tuesday heard that the medical cause of death was unascertained. The post-mortem examination by Dr Nicholas Ryley found that Mr Allsford had heart disease, but there was no clear evidence he drowned, no obvious signs of injury to show he had fallen from height, and no drugs or alcohol in his system.

DC Nikki Zulhayir said in a statement that the likely hypothesis was that he entered the water to take his own life. He left a note and sent a text message to his wife Christine, anticipating that they would be read after his death. His wife attended the inquest but declined to comment.

Coroner Ian Arrow recorded that Mr Allsford, a retired panel beater, had decided to take his own life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 04, 2023 10:32AM

The article is from 2017, but wow.

There is a novel by Anne Cleeves set in north/northwest Devon with a similar plot point ("The Long Call,") where a car was found abandoned, with a body washed up on a beach. Her novel was published in 2019. I wonder if she got the germ of an idea for it from this incident.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2023 10:32AM by summer.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: August 07, 2023 12:22AM

I enjoy Ann Cleeves. The series Shetland was one of the finest I have ever watched. The attending books, those I finished were excellent.

Posted by: Fronted ( )
Date: August 07, 2023 07:30AM

tensolator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I enjoy Ann Cleeves. The series Shetland was one
> of the finest I have ever watched. The attending
> books, those I finished were excellent.

Not sure if you're talking about the TV series. If so, the BBC made almost zero attempt to coach most of them in the Shetland accent, which is quite distinctive. The imperial BBC thinks all Scottish accents sound the same! The exception is Robertson who has a proper Shetland accent. (Although props to Dougie Henshall who is a decent actor.)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 07, 2023 07:51AM

I enjoyed the Shetland series as well. I had no idea about the accent. The Vera series has been another favorite.

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: August 04, 2023 12:48PM

"and no drugs or alcohol in his system"

Well, of course not. That would be a sin.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: August 04, 2023 10:44PM

Suicide is a bad look when you're on trial.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 04, 2023 10:46PM

Self-imposed summary judgment.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.