Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 04, 2023 02:37PM

This is from Reddit:

It's an Exmo older brother providing the details (to offset speculations) about his younger TBM brother dying at his Mission Reveal Party just after announcing where he was going: Japan Tokyo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/15hb4t0/im_liam_mildensteins_older_brother_liam_is_the/

The results of an autopsy are pending.

But you know mormons; they'll want to explain this, one way or another.

The mother is opting for a higher calling, directly from ghawd...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 04, 2023 02:48PM

That is an odd and unfortunate death.

The family is asking for $30K for the Go Fund Me, which strikes me as being a tad excessive.

Date: August 04, 2023 03:04PM

In response to other exmos taking notice of the GoFun-Me account, the exmo older brother explained that it costs upwards of 20K for a decent mormon funeral, and then there's the need to replace the lost income for those needing to take time off...

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: August 04, 2023 03:13PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In response to other exmos taking notice of the
> GoFun-Me account, the exmo older brother explained
> that it costs upwards of 20K for a decent mormon
> funeral, and then there's the need to replace the
> lost income for those needing to take time off...

My Mormon adult child just died opening his mission call to Japan, can I have $30k? Funerals are expensive and I gotta take time off of work!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 05, 2023 09:07AM

"family is asking for $30K for the Go Fund Me, which strikes me as being a tad excessive"

They don't drink coffee.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uer4fiP2E6c

Date: August 04, 2023 03:17PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> This is from Reddit:
>
> It's an Exmo older brother providing the details
> (to offset speculations) about his younger TBM
> brother dying at his Mission Reveal Party just
> after announcing where he was going: Japan Tokyo.
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/15hb4t0
> /im_liam_mildensteins_older_brother_liam_is_the/
>
> The results of an autopsy are pending.
>
> But you know mormons; they'll want to explain
> this, one way or another.
>
> The mother is opting for a higher calling,
> directly from ghawd...

Either God needed him in Heaven worse than his family needed him, or it was like his ExMo Bro said, he probably got so excited it caused a cardiac event, which cut his life short, unfortunately.

Date: August 04, 2023 03:27PM

Okay, that's the 'Reasonable Man' view...  But the entirety of the Reasonable Man thingie ends with "...similarly situated" and so for TBMs, they need to process as "The Reasonable Mormon, similarly situated..." and come up with an explanation.

It'd be so easy for them to believe in the miracle of a direct call from ghawd.

Date: August 08, 2023 12:42AM

There's no point in arguing with somebody who is not open minded or in other words, unwilling to follow the proof to its logical conclusion.
Only an open minded person, willing to follow evi8dence to its logical conclusion, will consider all of the variables that enter into an equation.
Starting with the conclusion,
#1. the church is true,
#2. Jesus is at the head of the church and
#3. Joseph was his Prophet,

and then rejecting anything that disagrees with that conclusion makes it nearly impossible for Mormons to be open minded or to consider the evidence and use independent reason to follow it to its logical conclusion.

So what's the point of trying to convice a Mormon Mom that her kid's life is meaningless in the big scheme of things, humans have only existed for 9 seconds on the big clock in the sky. We're the youngest species of humans. We've only existed for maybe 200,000 years. Neanderthals lived in Europe for 300,000yrs before we showed up and raped and pillaged them out of existence in Europe about 40,000yrs ago. There have been humans in Africa for 6million years before we came along.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herto_Man

So the good news is now your kid gets to be transformed into the most valuable thing on earth,

worm shit!

Sorry for your loss,
but hey at least your son will probably make good fertilizer!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2023 12:44AM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: August 04, 2023 03:37PM

I'm aware of the ridiculous gender reveal parties but now, missionary reveal. Wow

Date: August 04, 2023 03:51PM

Two thoughts...

1)  These mission destination-reveal parties sure contrast with how it was handled before the 80s, and all credit goes to the Internet.

2) There was a gender-reveal party in Yucaipa, CA, involving a cannon that was to shoot off a big colored cloud, which resulted in a large forest fire, and the death of a firefighter:

"They were indicted by a grand jury and charged with one felony count of involuntary manslaughter, three felony counts of recklessly causing a fire with great bodily injury, four felony counts of recklessly causing a fire to inhabited structures and 22 misdemeanor counts of recklessly causing a fire to property of another."

Okay, three thoughts:  

3)  We can never know, ahead of time, the unintended consequences of even our best efforts.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 04, 2023 03:49PM

The important question is had he received the covid vaccine. If so, then that is obviously what killed him. </s>

As for the funeral, $30k is absurd. Plus they can take the money they would have spent on the mission and put it toward the funeral. $12K more or less.

I've had 3 family members die, and we didn't ask anyone for money. In fact for one funeral we paid to fly out a couple of relatives. And some people had to take a day off work? That's what vacation leave, aka Paid Time Off, is for.

Not impressed.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 04, 2023 03:52PM

+1

It's scamiferous.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 04, 2023 06:58PM

Right. It's scammy and crimey.

Date: August 04, 2023 07:16PM

For us scamatologists, it is positively scamorific.

It's scamalogous, if you will, to the atrocity of a scatologist scattering allusions to quantum physicists while scatboarding down the street in Corprocabana, Brazil.

Date: August 05, 2023 11:23AM

Show off! Look at all them big words. :-D

Date: August 05, 2023 11:35AM

Yes, I had been drinking.

Date: August 04, 2023 04:50PM

The GFM is over $36K at this point.

I priced everything out -- funeral ($8K,) burial plot in Florida ($3K,) headstone ($2K would buy a very nice one,) air transport of the remains from SLC to Florida (<$1K.) So, $14K would have covered everything, and say, a $15K fundraising goal would have been perfectly reasonable. JMO. But I'm not the one paying, so what do I know?

Date: August 04, 2023 07:06PM

summer Wrote:
> The GFM is over $36K at this point.
>
> I priced everything out -- funeral ($8K,) burial
> plot in Florida ($3K,) headstone ($2K would buy a
> very nice one,) air transport of the remains from
> SLC to Florida (<$1K.) So, $14K would have covered
> everything, and say, a $15K fundraising goal would
> have been perfectly reasonable. JMO. But I'm not
> the one paying, so what do I know?

GOD DAMNIT! Is there a Ralph’s around here?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Uer4fiP2E6c&feature=shareb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2023 07:06PM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: August 04, 2023 07:06PM

You forgot the cost of all the funeral potatoes, lime Jello, fruit juice punch with sherbet ice cream in it, and dirty soda they will have to provide.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: August 04, 2023 04:18PM

The post from the missionary's brother on Redit mentioned that they had gone to the water park and gyms the week prior, so maybe the young man had a heart condition and overexerted himself, which put stress on his heart. Maybe the excitement of his mission call was all it took to cause a heart attack.

Mormons will put a positive spin on it (he was needed on the other side) which is okay if it makes the family feel better.

As for the 30K Go Fund Me... Maybe the Mormon church should use some of the 100 billion to invest in a big cemetery and allow Mormons to be buried at no cost.

Date: August 04, 2023 04:24PM

> As for the 30K Go Fund
> Me...  Maybe the Mormon
> church should use some
> of the 100 billion to
> invest in a big cemetery
> and allow Mormons to be
> buried at no cost.

So... Mormons as fertilizer for Stake farms?  Works for me!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 04, 2023 06:26PM

I think someone wants a new car from give-me-free-money.

Mormon funerals can be cheap.

1) Done at "free" LDS Meetinghouse. Eulogies and services are done as "priesthood" duty.

2) RS will cover most food costs. aka Funeral potatoes

Not bragging about the church, but don't try to inflate the cost of a LDS funeral service.

My wife's service was about 8K and she did not have a Mormon funeral.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: August 04, 2023 10:52PM

That's sad. I've met a lot of guys that went on missions to Japan. They often go back to BYU, convinced of their language prowess, and get an MBA, then a really nice job that sends them to Tokyo for work. Some of them end up with massive apartments, decent pay, and held up in the ward as examples of how righteous living makes you successful.

Self-congratulating goes a long way when your boss back home sees an MBA and 2 years in Japan on your CV, but has no way to evaluate it.

As far as their Japanese ability, that's debatable. Nobody really learns much Japanese in 2 years. I went to Japanese speech contest at BYU where many of the contestants were RMs. They sounded like Jr High students at best. But they were convinced that they were speaking at PhD level.

Sigh.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: August 04, 2023 11:28PM

When I read this, I wondered why the older brother felt the need to even comment. Perhaps he wanted some of the attention? I can't fathom a reason why or even attempt to explain it. Only the shadow knows.

Date: August 05, 2023 09:15AM

Did he lie during the interview? About, well, you know.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 05, 2023 10:12AM

Funerals are for the living and a lot of what passes for honoring the dead is actually showing off for the living. A true sendoff for someone dearly loved should not be measured by a lavish funeral. I have recently been to two graveside funerals attended by close friends and family with the dearly departed in a pine box. The love was there in spades. It felt right.

I find the $30,000 GFM page in very poor taste and vulgar.

I feel for the kid who died. He was at the age he could have finally figured out what the church was and really dug into life.
Everyone born Mormon should get that chance no matter what their final choice is.

Date: August 05, 2023 11:10AM

+1

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: August 05, 2023 12:11PM

Now maybe I am off base but I don’t think the parents are TBMs.

A true believer would now God was trying to tell them something. God didn’t want their son to go on a mission. If they don’t pay their tithing, they will lose their recommends. Hmm maybe God doesn’t want them to pay tithing. Maybe God is trying to get a message to them.

I will never understand why religious people always praise for good things but not accept it is Gods choice on bad things. Jmho

Date: August 05, 2023 12:19PM

Yep. God always gets credit but never blame.

Date: August 05, 2023 12:52PM

By the son's report, the mom thinks her deceased child is currently on a mission on the other side. That sounds very TBM to me. I think one of the boy's older brothers is out of the church.

Date: August 05, 2023 01:21PM

> I will never understand why
> religious people always praise
> (ghawd) for good things but (do
> not) accept it is God's choice
> on bad things.

I think it's because believers have to interpret the stuff of their lives through the "corrective lenses" of their particular dogma.

When they have a "living ghawd," with a tracking dog (Holy McGhost), on their trail from morning til midnight (when Holy McGhost clocks out...), explanations for both the minutia and magnutia of their lives get put through the filter of "what's ghawd telling me now?"

Human nature takes over from there.  The family will never entertain the possibility that ghawd didn't want the kid to represent his church.  The mom's view that ghawd needed him on the other side is a no-brainer choice.

People who don't like you think ghawd is punishing you when a bad thing happens, while people who like you prefer to believe you're being tested and/or being put through the refiner's fire to be made into a better person.

Date: August 05, 2023 02:14PM

A shit sandwich goes down easier if you pretend it's a chocolate-filled donut.

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: August 05, 2023 01:45PM

$30,000 for the funeral, via Go Fund Me? Ridiculously tacky. Even for the grieving...

they won't get a dime of donation from me.

The demise of the hopeful missionary will likely be explained via autopsy and reported on the death certificate. The general public may never know of the reason.

Sincere condolences to those who loved him.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 05, 2023 02:00PM

Unfortunately the autopsy will only prove how God did it, not why He needed another missionary for His Spirit Prison.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: August 05, 2023 02:12PM

As Mormons don't charge for funerals and RS does the catering, I smell a scam here.

Date: August 05, 2023 02:22PM

The funeral home will still need to prepare the body for burial, provide a hearse, a casket, etc. As I noted above, $15K should generously cover all costs including the plot, headstone, transporting the remains back to Florida, etc. Of course the family could do it far more inexpensively if they wished, but $15K would provide a very nice traditional funeral and burial.

Posted by: Changeling ( )
Date: August 06, 2023 01:54AM

I read this story, so sad on so many levels.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.