Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: August 05, 2023 02:50PM

1. The leader is the ultimate authority
2. The group suppresses skepticism
3. The group delegitimizes former members
4. The group is paranoid about the outside world
5. The group relies on shame cycles
6. The leader is above the law
7. The group uses "thought reform" methods
8. The group is elitist
9. There is no financial transparency
10. The group performs secret rites

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: August 05, 2023 03:43PM

10. People keep telling you, "Aren't we having Fun"
9. There is an AR-15 next to the 50 LB can of wheat
8. You believe in Zombies
7. **
6. There is a photo of Jim Jones on your bedroom wall
5. You have 7 seven wives, 3 under the age of 14
4. You wear a name badge and your primary mode of transportation is a bicycle
3. You've read all L. Ron Hubbard's books
2. You live in northern Idaho
1. You are anxiously awaiting for Hale-Bopp to pass by earth again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2023 09:56PM by Maude.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: August 05, 2023 03:55PM

11.You have a die hard TBM named PHIL.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 05, 2023 05:46PM

OMG!  The IRS is a cult!!!

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: August 06, 2023 12:13AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OMG!  The IRS is a cult!!!

Uh

1. Who is the The leader?
2. How do they suppresses skepticism?
3. How does the IRS delegitimizes former members?
4. How is the IRS paranoid about the outside world?
5. How DOEs the IRS relY on shame cycles?
6. How is the leader above the law?
7. How does the IRS use "thought reform" methods?
8. How is the IRS elitist?
9. How does the IRS have no financial transparency?
10. What secret rites does the ITS reform?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 06, 2023 12:46AM

Jesus, what do you have to say for yourself?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 05, 2023 05:52PM

OMG! The Supreme Court is a cult!!!

Posted by: madeguy ( )
Date: August 05, 2023 05:58PM

They tell you what to wear.
They tell you what to eat.
They tell you what movies to avoid.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 05, 2023 06:04PM

madeguy Wrote:
---------------------------------------------
> They tell you what to wear.
        BYU dress code?  Female modesty rules

> They tell you what to eat.
        Word of Wisdom

> They tell you what movies to avoid.
        No R-rated movies!!

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: August 05, 2023 06:36PM

They tell you where you are going to live for two years.
They tell you how much money you can spend.
They tell you what time you wake up.
They tell you what time to go to bed.
They tell you what you can read.
They tell you what to say.
They tell you what to wear.
They tell you that you cannot speak your first name.
They tell you how to behave.
They tell you that you cannot speak to certain people.
They tell you that you cannot speak to the opposite sex.
They tell you that you have to be with another person 24\7.
They tell you to tattle, if the other person is not doing the above.

Date: August 05, 2023 09:03PM

This signs your in a cult thing has been done so many times over the years that it's starting to wear thin. And it's getting old just like me. But, carry on!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 05, 2023 09:31PM

Considering this is a recovery site from a controlling religion, cult indicators seem to be an important reoccurring topic that serve as a wake up call.

That leads me to wonder how someone could read them year after year and either not see they are in a cult or not care.

Date: August 06, 2023 06:58AM

The word "Cult" with whatever definition and list you care to use is just another way to trash any religion you choose.
If I choose to belong to a "Cult" and buy into it that's my choice isn't it?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 06, 2023 11:14AM

Sure, it's a choice to do lots of things, I can agree with you there.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 06, 2023 03:17PM

PHIL Wrote:
> The word "Cult" with whatever definition and list
> you care to use is just another way to trash any
> religion you choose.
> If I choose to belong to a "Cult" and buy into it
> that's my choice isn't it?

Yes, it's a person's choice.

But that doesn't make it NOT a cult.

A guy I know is into Scientology and has given them loads of dosh. His free choice, as far as I know.

But that doesn't make Scientology NOT a cult.

The Irish Times states "The manipulative methods used by Scientology to control its members put it beyond the pale of legitimate religion".

I think that's a good definition in general. Of course, most adherents to the group in question don't see it that way. The leaders may be more aware, at least those at the top who presumably are the ones who choose and direct the "manipulative methods".

Here's a University of Alberta article:

https://www.ualberta.ca/folio/2018/01/once-thriving-church-of-scientology-faces-extinction-says-cult-tracker.html

It states in part:

"Stephen Kent [described as a "cult tracker"] knew he'd become a threat when the Church of Scientology sent no fewer than 16 letters to University of Alberta administrators demanding he stop disparaging the church.

"They wrote letter after letter to different levels of administration-from the president on down-to curtail my activities, to silence me, to get me somehow sanctioned," said the sociologist and cult expert.

"It's not surprising when you consider Kent has been tracking the tactics of the church since the early 1980s. As a post-doctoral fellow at McMaster University, he began collecting stories of confinement, sexual assault and coercion not widely known at the time.

"Since then he's amassed one of the world's biggest collections of testimonials and documents on Scientology, and last year co-edited a book with former student Susan Raine, now a professor at MacEwan University, called Scientology in Popular Culture .

"Kent has also become a top go-to expert for media commentary. Just last month he was quoted in the Irish Times when the newspaper discovered the church had sent thousands of pamphlets to Irish schools under the guise of a human rights organization-just one recent attempt in a concerted campaign to infiltrate Irish society and promote the doctrine of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard.

"Some countries, such as Germany and France, have taken a firm stand against Scientology. The German government views it as an abusive sect masquerading as a religion, and France has classified it as a dangerous cult."

---

There is a most interesting reference to Mormonism in the above article. The writer mentions "fixed revelation" as doom to Scientology in that it's difficult to update with the times if one's belief system is declared infallible (paraphrase).

The writer goes on to compare this stuck-in-the-mud challenge for Scientology with (what Mormons leaders call) ongoing revelation:

"Mired in 1950s beliefs"

"But beyond its image problem-documented in the 2015 HBO documentary Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief -the most destructive seeds of Scientology's demise were sown in its inception, said Kent. Based as it is on "fixed revelation," or the unalterable word of L. Ron Hubbard, Scientology is unable to change with the times and is therefore doomed.

"One case in point is the inescapable homophobia that lies at the heart of the church, said Kent. Hubbard classified homosexuality as a sexual perversion, writing in Dianetics that "the sexual pervert is actually quite ill physically…. He is very far from culpable for his condition, but he is also far from normal and extremely dangerous to society."

"Since then, Scientology has tried to "backpedal and respin its position on homosexuality," said Kent, adding that nonetheless, "Hubbard's statements on it are fairly clear.

"Any group that has a fixed revelation has great difficulty adjusting to change," Kent explained. "What you see with the books is greatly upgraded glamorization of the covers and the marketing. But the content is still rooted in Hubbard in the '50s."

"His doctrine is so fixed, in fact, that the Church of Scientology began transcribing his texts onto stainless steel plates in the 1980s, placing them in titanium capsules in underground vaults. Located in a remote desert location, the vaults are accessible only through a secured tunnel.

"Compare that with the Mormons, for example, who have a doctrine of ongoing revelation," said Kent. In 1890, for example, Latter-Day Saints president Wilford Woodruff received a revelation to ban polygamy, resulting in a policy change that partly made possible Utah's acceptance as a state in 1896. And in the 1970s, the Mormons abandoned their position that black people are branded with the mark of Cain.

"It's been able to adjust to the times," said Kent."

-----

I get the point about fixed vs ongoing revelation claims of a religious faith. But it's difficult to overlook foundational claims that shaped a religion but then accept that they need to be changed. How can a "prophet" be so very wrong, misguided, mistaken, abhorrent even, but then with a few adjustments future leaders can assure adherents that it's all God's will. I wonder.

Same with JWs in a different way: They preached for decades that Armageddon was looming and the generation that came of age in 1914 "would not pass away" before it struck. Well, that ship has sailed. Yet still they persist with their Armageddon doctrines but they've learned their lesson enough that they no longer prophesy about specific dates.

So, of course you're free to join such a group but some basic facts can point to it being a cult or at least cult-like due to various common features of such.

Cult: It's kind of a dread word to me. I've had my fill now of these offshoots that exercise overarching control over their adherents and scorn former members who choose to leave.

But I can live with that kind of treatment. It beats the alternative - staying in and yielding autonomy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2023 03:20PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: August 08, 2023 01:40PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
> 1. The leader is the ultimate authority
Yes. The Profit is the ultimate authority, unless he's speaking as a man.

> 2. The group suppresses skepticism
You do not ask questions. Accept silly stories on faith.

> 3. The group delegitimizes former members
Yes, they are described as anti-Mormons. Or they've sinned and they're too far gone. Or they quit so they could sin. Members are also told to shun them.

> 4. The group is paranoid about the outside world
Absolutely. The rest of the world has been deceived, and it cannot be trusted.

> 5. The group relies on shame cycles
Members can be disfellowshipped. Emotional manipulation is par for the course in Mormonism.

> 6. The leader is above the law
Unless you're the IRS.

> 7. The group uses "thought reform" methods
As well as therapy for gay members, which is now outsourced.

> 8. The group is elitist
Non-members are described as, "He's a good person, not a member, but a good person." Only Mormons are considered genuinely good people. The rest of the world is suspect.

> 9. There is no financial transparency
We just found that out. They hid their financial resources from members so that members would keep paying tithing.

> 10. The group performs secret rites
Creepy temple rituals. They also change from time to time.

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: August 08, 2023 05:35PM

In case any of you don't pay attention to my long-winded monologues in monthly F&T meetings then I'll share my testimony here.

1. The Holy Nelson is the ultimate authority on earth.
2. The late beloved BKP epitomizes what we teach about how to handle skepticism in the Ensign Peak conglomerate of which the church.
3. Thanks to how the wondrous Correlation program has caused me to think, I automatically delegitimize former members.
4. The outside world is full of all sorts of woes and the Correlation program has programmed me to think such paranoia. But its sacred paranoia so if the Holy Nelson says its ok then its ok.
5. I always feel cycles of shame due to my slothfulness. For example, I have some 30th great grandmas who are rotting away in their Spirit Prison cells due to not having their genealogy work done. This is not to mention the guilt I feel for sometimes not cleaning the chapel toilets as thoroughly as I could. Oh I feel so ashamed.
6. The holy Nelson is the primary law on earth.
7. The Correlation program has been wondrous in its "thought reform" methods.
8. Having a temple recommend is such a huge status symbol now for the electronic records on us that the Church keeps forever so it can help thoroughly monitor our status, in case of any lapses that might result in loving questions from loving Bishops in future decades.
9. I've been suffering a serious credibility problem here due to my slothfulness on providing that link online where all of you can see how super transparent the Church is on its finances. Hmmmm, where did I put that link? Please hold your breaths while I go find it, put it up, and start working to get myself some credibility.
10. I don't have time to write more about my beloved testimony because I need to spend more time performing secret rites at the temple.

Thank goodness the correlation program has wired my brain to believe that we're not a cult.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.