Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: August 06, 2023 01:01AM

I saw two white people (we stick out like sore thumbs) walking down the street in Tokyo yesterday. They really stuck out because they were grey haired and holding hands. PDAs (public displays of affection) are not common in Japan, especially between seniors.

It took me a while to see what was going on because they were in street clothes, but had nametags on. There is an LDS temple within walking distance to my home, so it's not inconceivable to see them.

I just bring it up because they did not look like they wanted to be here at all. They should be enjoying retirement, spending time with grandkids, and doing fun stuff. It's really remarkable how Mormonism can suck the fun out of every every stage of life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 06, 2023 01:38AM

-They should be enjoying retirement, spending time with grandkids, and doing fun stuff. It's really remarkable how Mormonism can suck the fun out of every every stage of life.

I couldn't agree more.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 06, 2023 02:32AM

You live in a beautiful part of the city.

Date: August 08, 2023 04:00AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You live in a beautiful part of the city.

That park near the temple is nice, but the other day I was sitting there having a coffee, and looked up. The sky was dark blue. No clouds. The trees were green and the cicadas were singing. I was just about to take a picture, but there was some God-awful golden statue standing out above the trees.

I guess I could learn how to use PhotoShop and just take it out of the picture.

Date: August 08, 2023 04:14AM

Yeah, that park is pleasant. There are so many nice residential areas there, too, including Hiroo and Azabu-Juban.

The temple is bizarre in that area. Small footprint, walls, very vertical and strangle-looking. I really don't thing pedestrians pay it any attention.

Posted by: ahsh ( )
Date: August 12, 2023 08:41AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Yeah, that park is pleasant. There are so many
> nice residential areas there, too, including Hiroo
> and Azabu-Juban.
>
> The temple is bizarre in that area. Small
> footprint, walls, very vertical and
> strangle-looking. I really don't thing
> pedestrians pay it any attention.

Did you serve your mission there?

Date: August 12, 2023 01:14PM

Nope. It's just one of a dozen cities that I've spent a huge amount of time in for educational and then professional purposes.

I stumbled on the temple long ago; it is a ten-minute stroll down a hill from two very nice hotels and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2023 01:16PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Downunder ( )
Date: August 12, 2023 05:14AM

This message reminds me of posts about scene of planned temple in Heber City. Magnificent area of greenery against clear skies looking towards the mountains - which is why people move there.
Why clutter the creation with high-rise building which residents would presumably object to if it were commercial or apartment block?

If these people are concerned about access for weddings etc, please remind them that SLC is only 40 miles away.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 06, 2023 07:59AM

The weird thing is they would have had to pick Japan. And they are also in what has to be one of the highest cost missions for seniors. Perhaps the mission is not what they thought it would be.

Date: August 08, 2023 04:02AM

summer Wrote:
> The weird thing is they would have had to pick
> Japan. And they are also in what has to be one of
> the highest cost missions for seniors. Perhaps the
> mission is not what they thought it would be.

Ah. Maybe one or both of them came to Japan on their first mission. A lot of guys who did that dream of living in Japan again.

Maybe they did want to be here. It was dreadfully humid, so that might explain the unhappy looks on their faces.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 08, 2023 01:44PM

On the first one in Germany, she was extremely depressed. She has depression as it is. Then they went to California and she seemed to like that one better, but she really didn't want to go on either mission.

My uncle went to Brazil for his mission and he and his wife went back there on their mission. She got hit by a car and got hurt pretty bad. She hated the place and couldn't wait to get out of there. My uncle was all excited about going back.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.