Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 07, 2023 06:44PM

Or, more generally stated, is it less threatening to ignore the cultural markers of Mormonism, than it is to admit that you are an apostate who simply doesn’t buy the Mormon mythology at all?

Another thread active now about “did I leave the church so I could drink coffee” brought this to mind. Personally I found admitting to being a nonbeliever more threatening, more of a fundamental violation of the Mormon code, than things like the WoW.

I had some relatives that had persistent WoW problems, and it seemed to me it was just their way of not having to be active in the church. They weren’t all that interested, and coffee or whatever was an easy out.

I eventually came out as a nonbeliever, but it was scary at the time, and justifiably so. The blowback was intense.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 07, 2023 07:32PM

I think coffee is so far down the list it is a moot point.

In my younger days almost all the older members drank coffee and tea.

Then the post Grant clamp down that eventually included caffeinated drinks.

That turned into what hot beverage can we drink with no or little caffeine?

Then once Tommy was outed as a Pepsi drinking prophet it was oh we never said no caffeinated sodas.

Now they turn a blind eye to decaf coffee, "herbal" teas, chocolate, sodas etc. No mention made of energy drinks.

So actual coffee is just a half step away.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 07, 2023 07:57PM

I've never really thought about that. I think some probably do.

I also think it might be a conscious or unconscious action, depending on whether or not the person recognizes their real motivation.

There are all kinds of situations where people sabotage their progress or success. There are all kinds of situations where people do things to protect against having to face things that are unpleasant- like having to do all that church busywork.

I think you are on to something.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 07, 2023 09:36PM

Had my first cup at 17. Thoughts of the W of W never once entered my mind whilst sipping that cup o' Joe either.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: August 08, 2023 01:45PM

I'm sipping a double espresso while hanging out on this board.

I don't think I could get my job done without it.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 08, 2023 08:31PM

Your job is hanging out on this board? Ask for a raise!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 08, 2023 09:56PM

Plus he owes you tithing!!!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 14, 2023 01:08PM

Do NOT travel to Italy if you're not willing to order "un caf-FEE" at a bar or in your hotel. "Coffee" is expressed coffee, or as we know it, espresso, a concentrated punch of naturally sweet and oily coffee served in a tiny demitasse. Add a wee bit of sugar and a spot of creamed milk, and you got yourself a brew from heaven. But never order a second one; that's s really bad form.

So, 1969-- I'm in my Mormon mission in Italy, and every time we passed a bar, the smell of brewing espressos would transport me, making my mind flow into the air and away from Mormonism. I wish now that I had just handed my church pamphlets to my comp and said I'm outta here

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.