Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: August 08, 2023 11:28PM

We didn't get offended. We didn't want to sin. We didn't stop reading our scriptures and paying our tithing and going to the temple. We left because over and over and over again the institution failed us. It broke its promises and it lied and it refused to accept any accountability. It made our families hate us. It stole our time and our money. Maybe they should address these issues first.

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 08, 2023 11:44PM

slskipper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We left because
> over and over and over again the institution
> failed us.

> It broke its promises
> and it lied
> and it refused to accept any accountability.
> It made our families hate us.
> It stole our time and our
> money.

That's quite the "legacy".

How to make a mess without really trying?

They need a rethink.

Fast.

On the up side, when the major negatives pile up to the point they become completely obvious to more and more members the leaders will have to face the change or die point in LDS evolution.

Meanwhile though it's awful that members and their families, in or out of the church, have to suffer all the downsides and church leaders blame *them*.

Too bad church deciders don't seem to embrace the mote/beam principle in the NT. Right at the place where the person with the biggest flaws gets labelled a hypocrite.

It kind of applies, in my experience within Mormonism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2023 11:45PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 01:37AM

Victim blaming doesn't require any accountability. You did something to fall under Satan's power, like reading anti material or drinking coffee.

So of course you have gentile cooties. You might be contagious so they stay away. Had I known it would be such a strong repellent, I would have quit years earlier.

They may have betrayed you, but they view you the way the mafia views a stool pigeon. You are Fredo to their Michael Corleone.

Posted by: madeguy ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 01:02PM

Can you give an example of how you were betrayed. There are so many ways.

In my case, I found out they were lying about church history. I discovered that all of the the founding events were fabricated.

Every one.

There was no way I could not remain a member.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 01:25PM

And you are falling into their trap. "Researching history" is called fact checking. And you are fact-checking on the people who are currently saying things. It is not historiography. It is investigative journalism of the current leadership cabal.

My list is as long as your arm. Sunday School teachers who told me JS and BY and SWK and all the rest were so amazing that I had to believe everything they said. Bishops who made sure I understood that I was defiled because of personal practices and therefore kept me out of the temple and for absolute certainty that I was not worthy fall in love with any of God's daughters. Parents who were high up in the ward who felt justified in hitting and beating me and ridiculing me for being short. A temple president brother who almost excluded me from my father's funeral because I was not "spiritual" enough. And on and on. You get the idea.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 03:02PM

slskipper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My list is as long as your arm. Sunday School
> teachers who told me JS and BY and SWK and all the
> rest were so amazing that I had to believe
> everything they said. Bishops who made sure I
> understood that I was defiled because of personal
> practices and therefore kept me out of the temple
> and for absolute certainty that I was not worthy
> fall in love with any of God's daughters. Parents
> who were high up in the ward who felt justified in
> hitting and beating me and ridiculing me for being
> short. A temple president brother who almost
> excluded me from my father's funeral because I was
> not "spiritual" enough. And on and on. You get the
> idea.

It's seriously nearly unbelievable that "godly" people (or anyone) could be so cruel. Humans in a crowd or feeling as if they're part of the 'in' group somewhere can be nasty and scary creatures.

People judging who is or is not "spiritual" miss the mark in so many ways, religious and regular.

I used the mote/beam example yesterday, the Bible instructing people in effect not to criticize others because their own shortcomings are likely worse. And besides, "judge not" 'n all that jazz.

It can be poisonous. And the only remedy is to get out, which fortunately many people do. Then you just have to be able to withstand the worst of the negative reactions, which can also wound but hopefully on the outside there is a measure of healing at some point. I think some of the blaming they do is to try and protect the church, and themselves. That's a whole psychological dig right there to try and sort it all out.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 08:11PM

The Mormon church has all the hallmarks of a cult. I won't be part of that.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 08:12PM

Also, I refuse to call it "the" church. It's just one of many.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 08:42PM

How about "the cult"?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 10, 2023 12:01AM

I'm leaning towards the corporation but it's kind of long.

The con men seems good too based on their lies and business practices.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.