Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 02:36AM

The church pulled out the big guns and their pet law firm openly threaten the fine citizens of Cody over their objections of the temple location.

Basically from their lofty office in salt lake city, church lawyers said here is what we'll compromise (basically a few modifications to the lighting and knocking a few feet off the fiberglass tower) if they'd give approval now or no compromise if Cody fights them.

They also warned it would be very expensive go deny the church.

There was some talk about twisting a federal law about individual freedom of religion and applying it to allow them to build what they want where they want.

Bottom line.

The church is a bully, a carpet bagger and no better than some off the wall dictator. The more I learn, the more disgusted I am with them.

I wish this issue had nationwide and international coverage. Expose their cowardly ways go the world.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 03:37AM

>There was some talk about twisting a federal law about individual freedom of religion and applying it to allow them to build what they want where they want.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_Land_Use_and_Institutionalized_Persons_Act

https://www.justice.gov/crt/religious-land-use-and-institutionalized-persons-act

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 06:41AM

This is how Jesus would operate?
This is what Jesus would say?
Someone in the Church is not following the Come Follow me Program.

This is very disgusting behaviour on the part of the Church and on the part of Dusty Rusty. They need to read the book in the 70's "How to Win Friends and Influence others.

Stand up Cody. You have a great city. I have been there. This temple will stand out like a sore thumb as you drive into the city.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 07:23AM

One of my cousins used to have an important role in Cody for many years. What the Mormon church is doing in Cody makes me very angry. I hope that the citizens there continue to stand up to the church.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 08:14AM

Can Cody let them build the temple and then seize the land under eminent domain?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 12:27PM

Yeah, be even more despicable than the church. That's the ticket. :-/

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 09:01PM

They could try and "the" church would bury them in legal filings and lawyers costs. There are 10K people in Cody and a total of about 30K people in the entire County. It's estimated there are about 3,200 mormons in the county. I hope everyone of them are shunned by the other 88% and their temple construction site becomes the most vandalized site in the country.

Posted by: Scooby's Doo ( )
Date: August 10, 2023 12:41AM

Maybe they can have a "mostly peaceful protest" at the construction site.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 10, 2023 12:44AM

Good try. Have a cookie.

Posted by: Scooby's Doo ( )
Date: August 11, 2023 12:39AM

I am not very good at protests, but doggone you sure bake a good cookie.

Date: August 11, 2023 12:41AM

I do my best although Roy G Biv often steals them before the kids get any.

Posted by: Village ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 08:18AM

Look at all the little Piggies.

I can't see how they think their design plan fits into this beautiful landscape.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/366-Lower-Southfork-Rd_Cody_WY_82414_M99938-78977?from=srp-list-card

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 08:36AM

Wait a minute here! There's money to to be made here. Just think of rich Mormon retirees who would pay excessive prices to be next to a temple.

Posted by: Concerned ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 09:18AM

Why not build a smaller temple like a Hinkley Temple or like the ones they build in Africa? It would serve the same purpose and everyone in Cody would be happy. Work for the dead would be done and the living could enjoy Cody.

Maybe this is the real reason. The building has been built as modular Construction and is sitting somewhere in Cody. Read that on another site. They are sitting on trucks waiting to be put together. LOL

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 09:25AM

Or, just respect the local zoning laws. Don't try to put a temple in a neighborhood that is zoned for residential only. The church is trying to throw its weight around like it does in Utah, or anywhere else for that matter. Jerks!

Date: August 09, 2023 11:15AM

Cody has repeatedly asked they simply move to a different part of town. The church refuses.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 09:32AM

So the temple means gentrification. The property taxes of homeowners near the temple will go up. Rents will go up. The rich will drive out the poor, like in Aspen.

What are the rich to do but fight back? It's Caddyshack in court.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 09:41AM

...Members of the USSC have hyped so-called 'religious freedom' down to a likeness of a rabid Pit-Bull tearing apart a child's favorite stuffed toy...

No Manners > No Respect

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2023 01:07PM by Maude.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 10:48AM

PLUS A TRILLION BILLION

Date: August 09, 2023 10:47AM

I just looked it up. The population of Cody is just over 10,000 and the fotos are of a beautiful town. WTF? What the Fudge are those self important schmuck Mormons think they are doing?

Bullies. Greedy egotistical bullies. Nothin less. This makes me more intolerant of Mormons than I already was because every member is part of this and they cannot say they aren't.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 11:13AM

It's interesting that most of Wyoming Mormons live about 5 hours south of Cody. I'm sure if you talked to the Cody people before this all started they would say they supported freedom of religion. Of course, as long as it's their "approved" religions.

Date: August 09, 2023 11:21AM

It's not about temple or no temple.

It's about building in an area where they'd be in compliance with existing zoning laws.

Several alternate sites in Cody have been suggested where they could build as they desire but the church insists on variances and accommodations to build on one specific site.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 12:35PM

They could also be planning a large visitor center considering all the traffic from the east heading to YELLOWSTONE.

There is a nice museum in Cody but a huge pioneer visitor center could draw a lot of tourists.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 12:50PM

Exactly. The towns near entrances to Yellowstone have all grown and become hubs. Real estate values have soared in towns around Teton and Yellowstone (west and south entrances especially) over the years.

Cody property no doubt is going to continue to increase in value for that reason alone. The church knows how to move in for promising real estate and traffic increases.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 11:20AM

Needs worldwide coverage

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 11:22AM

I sure wouldn't want to be a missionary in Cody right about now.

ELDER NAIF: "We just don't understand it, President McDrone. For some reason, our investigator pool has dried up and no one will talk to us."

PRES McDRONE: "It's because you're not being faithful enough, Elder Naif. You need to work harder. Is there something you need to confess?"

----

I seem to recall that the city planner who guided this fiasco is a mormon. Is that an elected position? (Rhetorical question; I don't care enough to look it up.) Either way, this sorry episode will ensure that no mormon will ever be trusted to be elected to office in Cody again; mormons will bellow "religious test!" and "bigotry" and "persecution" without ever self-reflecting that just maybe they had a hand in it too.

Posted by: Northern_Lights ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 04:17PM

The point is nobody cares. The people who are investigators with Missionaries may not even know what is happening. The vast majority of people that take the discussions were often not plugged in or mentally ok.

I think Hinkley believed there was so golden families out there just waiting to join all of them, and start paying 10% and pump out babies who will grown up and do the same.

Nelson knows that nobody is joining the church in 2023, nobody desiserable that is. Love coverts will not be effected by this even in Cody, WY.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 12:13PM

We have created a monster.

When the church does things like this (and it is becoming more often)it really saddens me to think that my ancestors and I helped contribute to building this monstrosity.

We thought it was a good thing at the time but it has grown out of control and is a threat to our personal freedom and even to our democracy. It reminds me of the Dr.Suess book where the little boy overfeeds his fish and the fish overgrows his bowl.

Our harmless little fish is massively overgrown with very sharp teeth and is acting very aggressive--- more like a shark. Even if we were to all quit feeding it now it would be too late.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 01:12PM

The church believes they're doing the will of ghawd...

Isaiah 14:27
For the LORD of hosts has purposed, and who will annul it? His hand is stretched out, and who will turn it back? God never has to adjust His plans for the world or for each individual. Even the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus were part of God's plan from the beginning

I don't know which bible version this comes from. In trying to get the mormon (KJ) version, I went to mormon.com (the inspired way to get to the official website) and hit the search button and entered "Isaish 14:27" which took me to a generic set of pages where general topics are discussed.

Then I tried a search using "2nd Nephi 5:1" and was again sent to the same generic set of pages... Then I tried "D&C 88" and "Doctrine & Covenants" and got exactly the same result, pages of general topics.

I remember in the past going to their website, entering a scripture citation and going right to the text. It seems it's been decided that they prefer offering milk before meat.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 03:14PM

I remember a story that circulated in Mormon circles years ago. I recall that there was either a talk in GC or an Ensign article about it.

There was opposition in a city (I can't remember where) with a temple that the church wanted to construct. The story goes that instead of fighting with residents and city leaders, church leaders felt like they shouldn't contribute to contention and that it was more important to be good neighbors and an example of Christ-like behavior. They decided to bow out gracefully and find a new location for the temple. I remember being told that that's how the church conducts ALL of its business dealings. LOL, sure they do.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 05:31PM

Jana Reiss' column this week addresses the Mormon member behavior in Cody.

https://religionnews.com/2023/08/07/mormons-behaving-badly/

Date: August 09, 2023 05:50PM

"During his vision of the things which his father saw, an angel taught Nephi that the great and spacious building represented the vain imaginations and the pride of the children of men” (see 1 Nephi 12:18).

It's no secret that the church is a big fan of great and spacious buildings ... and malls.

Date: August 09, 2023 09:53PM

You're sure quoting a lot of Mormon scripture this evening, Mr. Dog. Is there something you're not telling us?

Date: August 09, 2023 10:06PM

Oh, pooh!  You know I despise what the church has become!  I can't say enough bad about it!

Date: August 09, 2023 10:35PM

"Oh, pooh?"

Why do I feel like I'm in a Woody Allen flick and someone just said "la-di-da?"

Date: August 09, 2023 10:40PM

Because I have the same flawed beauty as Diane Keaton?

Date: August 09, 2023 10:44PM

No, because you were over the hill at 17.

Date: August 09, 2023 10:45PM

Yeah...  Starting puberty that late was ... difficult.

Date: August 11, 2023 12:42AM

Think how bad it was for Woody Allen!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 09, 2023 10:38PM

The carpet baggers were the good guys.

Date: August 09, 2023 11:50PM

Depends on who told you the stories growing up :)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 10, 2023 04:25PM

World domination!....in Oak's fevered geezer brain!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 10, 2023 04:33PM

We should all be bringing up Cody's Facbook page and commenting, even if it's now a done deal.

Posted by: I ( )
Date: August 12, 2023 09:28AM

TSCC wants what it wants; it's [like] the devil!

It doesn't care about people, the environment, or life!!!
(These are only stumbling blocks - tscc plays w/ blocks).

Greed-
Ignorance-
Arrogance-

TSCC is the same yesterday, today, and forever!
Taking from the people & giving to itself.

TSCC is morally bankrupt!

Date: August 12, 2023 10:26AM

So why bother with Cody Wyoming? Busy work for members? How many of the dead can be saved when about two people a week at that temple are going to do the Mormon Mambo there?

The temples are for show to give the impression that the church has more importance than it does. Trying to give the illusion that the Mormons are playing with the "Big Boys". Cody doesn't even make sense. I guess they were inspired at the board meeting to follow the Star-bucks model. One on every corner.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.