Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gw ( )
Date: August 11, 2023 12:49PM

Whenever I come across a video or channel with a church leader giving a talk, I change it. I can never stand to listen to any of those guys for even a few seconds. It triggers me, so honestly it has been many years since I have listened to or even read a church talk.
So anyone who can stomach listening to any of that, how do you get through it? It just triggers me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: August 11, 2023 12:53PM

FYI....I don't think you'll find many hear that listen to church leaders talk very often

May be some do for stuff like general conference, or if they "have" to go to church, so as not to upset the family, but that's how they get through it....they don't want to rock the boat.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 11, 2023 01:32PM

On the rare occasions when I read transcripts, or listen to a small portion, I never hear anything particularly enlightening. It's all, obey church leaders, go to the temple, pay your tithes, stay in the boat, etc. If these people have any wisdom at all, it has nothing to do with spiritual matters. Maybe they can give me some investment strategies?

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: August 11, 2023 02:31PM

Very true. In the last GC, Nelson gave a talk about peacemaking and treating others with kindness. It was actually good advice, but Mormons went nuts over it, calling it "divine inspiration" and so forth. Nothing that Nelson said was new, unique or prophetic. It's probably the message on many Sundays at churches throughout the world. It's because the message was different from the same old tithing, temple attendance, etc. talks that Mormons thought that it was unique and groundbreaking.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 11, 2023 01:59PM

I have a friend in the Midwest who tuned in to a GA talk on the radio while driving across Idaho. First time ever he’d heard a GA. His reaction: the guy sounded like he was deeply tired.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 11, 2023 02:23PM

My daughter posts GA talks on fb or statements they make. I quickly pass them by.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.