Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: August 21, 2023 03:51PM

https://youtube.com/watch?v=HgmeoDQWGLQ&feature=shareb

“We have a fear of math, and a denial of science.
”I changed my views 360 degrees” US Congressman
“Half the schools were below average.”
80% of all buildings over 13floors in America are missing a 13th floor, in 21st C America, people are afraid of the number 13.
Bayer employees went into schools to try to convince kids that lighter things fall faster than heavier things, which doesn’t happen in this universe.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 21, 2023 04:39PM

While I do not at all disagree with the point you are trying to make, there are just some things that aren't going to change...

For instance, the belief that typing out *MORmON* will change the hearts and minds of men.

And even though she is no longer among the living, I still avoid stepping on sidewalk cracks, lest I break my mother's back...

Perhaps no one said it better than what's-his-face, the Archbishop of Canterclockwise, Judic West, "The thing about humans is how human they are!"

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 21, 2023 05:16PM

There appears to be no shortage of people on my local web pages who write, "I seen," as in "I seen a car drive down the street." How does that even happen?

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: August 21, 2023 05:19PM

"On this very night, ten years ago, along this same stretch of road in a dense fog just like this. I saw the worst accident I ever seen."

-Large Marge

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: August 21, 2023 05:53PM

Driving past that pasture I wuz so happy when I seen all those brown cows cuz I really like chocolate milk.

-Bosco

Posted by: Tamagochi ( )
Date: August 23, 2023 09:49AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There appears to be no shortage of people on my
> local web pages who write, "I seen," as in "I seen
> a car drive down the street." How does that even
> happen?

That is arguably linguistic evolution. But it still stinks.

What makes me laugh is that Americans struggle with the concept of adverbs.
They also keep using the word "good" when they should use "well". Probably because of all the German and Yiddish speakers lurking in many of their family trees. Someone or something isn't "real good", it's either "really good" or "really well".

I hate it when people saying, "I'm good," when they should say "I'm well". "I'm good" refers to their moral state not their health/mood.

Also note all the types who go on about "journaling". The phrase they're looking for is "writing a journal" or "journal writing." Verbing weirds language.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 23, 2023 03:01PM

Tamagochi Wrote:
> I hate it when people saying, "I'm good," when
> they should say "I'm well". "I'm good" refers to
> their moral state not their health/mood.

I don't mind it even though I'm conscious of language usage. It's a quick short comment with clear meaning.

Subject/verb disagreement really gets to me though. Such as "the women and girls in the back is going to go first". Watch your plurals, people, and match up your verbs, I beg.

> Also note all the types who go on about
> "journaling". The phrase they're looking for is
> "writing a journal" or "journal writing." Verbing
> weirds language.

I love the 'verbing' trend. It's fun and creative I think.

I just think that it's desirable for people *first* to learn correct grammar.

Other language glitches that are quite annoying include one I've mentioned here recently - please save my sanity and quit saying "I don't know whether or not you understand me or not".

The 'or not' never has to be repeated in the same sentence. But when something like that starts it spreads at speed and is impossible then to stamp out. Why can't people hear themselves repeating an unnecessary little blip like that?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2023 03:09PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 23, 2023 12:32PM

You can't believe how poorly the doctors dictate. I think their favorite word is "got." I am shocked by what I see on the internet, too.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 23, 2023 02:56PM

cl2 Wrote:
> You can't believe how poorly the doctors dictate.
> I think their favorite word is "got." I am
> shocked by what I see on the internet, too.

Yeah, I shake my head too, cl2. 90% of the transcription time I put in is editing the dictation done by very well-educated people. Subject/verb agreement too is apparently going out of style according to their speech.

For reasons unknown to me, my father despised the word 'got'. I know it's not musical but I wouldn't have minded it I don't think except for my father's reaction to it that has mysteriously brushed off on me. In particular, it sounds awful if used as a main verb: "I got my groceries yesterday".

Just ugh. Bad sound. Weak verb.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: August 26, 2023 01:38AM

"Got" always does sound awkward in English,but the verb isn't intrinsically really weak. In fact I love saying "got" in Norwegian ..."Fikk".

It just roles off the tongue and sounds very strong.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 26, 2023 01:49AM

I wish I could think of one of their sentences. Many ruin the English language and they have run-on sentences, too, and misuse apostrophes, etc. And so many other things.

But I'm just as shocked when I read things people put on fb, etc. I love it when they use a word correctly and then use it incorrectly in the same paragraph or sentence.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 21, 2023 06:09PM

At the TSA checkpoint, the officer asked me ìf anyone unknown to ma put anything in my luggage...

I asked: How would I know if that was unknown??"

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: August 21, 2023 08:03PM

My favorite inane question checking in at an airport.

Date: August 21, 2023 09:05PM

Alright sir, step aside, you've been singled out for a cavity search!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 23, 2023 09:47AM

Opens mouth

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 21, 2023 10:53PM

A: Religious fundamentalists who are not able to deal with reality attempt to create their own "reality" through willfull ignorance.

Date: August 23, 2023 09:50AM

anybody Wrote:
> A: Religious fundamentalists who are not able to
> deal with reality attempt to create their own
> "reality" through willfull ignorance.

Not just that. How many people out there allow Elon Musk, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg and Rupert Murdoch etc to create their reality for them.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 23, 2023 03:00PM

but it requires effort and an open mind.

Misinformation thrives on hatred and fear.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: August 22, 2023 09:35AM

The smaller, more insulated one's world is, the easier it is to "know it all".

Date: August 23, 2023 09:51AM

Twinker Wrote:
> The smaller, more insulated one's world is, the
> easier it is to "know it all".

Or to use a personal assistant:

"Alexa, please give me a biased and inaccurate answer on something that will reinforce my own biases."

Date: August 22, 2023 11:23AM

Judging from the success of the early church, this is not a new thing.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 22, 2023 11:07PM

A relative that teaches elementary school had death threats because she was going to teach arabic numbers.

Date: August 23, 2023 09:40AM

Probably at the moment that the media told people to stop trying to think for themselves, and defer to some higher authority instead... like fact checkers or church leaders.

Date: August 23, 2023 09:43AM

It doesn't help that midwits go to the likes of Wikipedia, Google, Snopes, Alexa/Siri for information... not only does that mean that they don't flex their neurons, it also means that they are discovering things through a limited range of questionable and tendentious websites.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: August 24, 2023 01:35PM

How would you suggest people look for factual information? Haul yourself down to the local library, thumb through the card catalogue for sources that may be 5, 10, 50 years out of date?

What's your problem with Google?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 24, 2023 01:58PM

"More people look for
comfort than for truth."

--Judic West, lost in the lies

Posted by: Real Truth ( )
Date: August 25, 2023 04:22AM

Google is horrendous. It does not return a wide range of results.

Start from the inconvenient fact that Google is actually paid to promote certain websites. Some of these are marked as "sponsored", but some are also high up in search results and not obvious.

Then we have the matter of certain results being excluded. Certain material does not appear on Google and not necessarily because it is offensive or politically sensitive.

Then there is the obvious issue of AI listing what it thinks are similar (but irrelevant) results. For example, I was looking up material on Mormon history, but it kept showing me Roman Catholic websites. That's because its fuzzy search thinks RCs are Christians like Mormons (which they aren't exactly). Not only did it exclude results, it gave me ones I wasn't looking for in the first place!

Lsstly, because Google stores and tracks your online behavior, it creates results which are tailored around that. That in itself is a bias.

It amazes me how many people here thibk Google is an unbiased source and tell each other to "Google it".

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: August 25, 2023 12:52PM

Without getting into what the results of Google searches actually say your premise seems contradictory.

You complain that Google doesn't return a wide range of results. And yet if there is a single truth then there shouldn't be a wide range of results.

That certain sites don't show up does not mean those sites contain truth just because they're ignored. On the other hand a good search algorithm should exclude sites of low repute and poor quality information.

A good searcher also knows how to limit Google to search results to specific sites if they're interested in what those sites say.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 24, 2023 02:10PM

"Fact checking" is ill-advised? What a silly thing to say.

But then again, you do want to be the one from whom people learn the "truth," aren't you.

Posted by: Real Truth ( )
Date: August 25, 2023 04:07AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> "Fact checking" is ill-advised? What a silly
> thing to say.
>
> But then again, you do want to be the one from
> whom people learn the "truth," aren't you.

"Fact checkers" often have as little to do with establishing truth as the Ministry of Truth did. They mainly exist to reinforce the narrative(s) of those in power.

For example in the medical realm, "fact checkers" will rarely acknowledge a variety of views on any given subject, but instead will parrot the party line.

It is always worth looking at who funds them too. "Independent fact checkers" are rarely independent or check facts. They do not reflect subtleties or free thinking at all. Imagine someone being so naive that they think because someone calls themselves a "fact checker" that is actually what they do!

Date: August 25, 2023 12:55PM

Facts themselves aren't given to a variety of views. That's why they're facts, not opinions.

Date: August 25, 2023 12:59PM

But what if, like our Canadian bus rider, you really really don’t like a fact?

Date: August 25, 2023 01:06PM

How much you like something bears no relationship to its factual status.

Indeed how much you like a theory bears no relationship to the quality of that theory either.

Date: August 25, 2023 01:28PM

Yes, that was my point. Our Canadian troll hasn’t figured that out yet.

Date: August 25, 2023 03:21PM

Listen, Fash, you really shouldn't allude to Orwell given that you utterly failed to grasp 1984's meaning. He's one author who's definitely meant for the juniors and seniors.

And as for "fact checking," your ominous tones do not obviate the reality that most of us deal with "facts" every day. We have sources; we have standard techniques for validating our sources; and some of us--wait for it--don't even use Google as a search engine. Imagine that!

But best of luck, Real Truth, or Tamagochi, or whatever your name is at this instant. We hope you find peace and harmony by integrating your various shattered identities into one. Then perhaps you will be able put down the toys meant for adolescent Asian girls and your fixation on Gary Glitter will end.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 23, 2023 12:06PM

I think it begins with people listening to a preacher with a grade 7 education telling them vaccines are evil and the earth is 6000 years old...and them believing it!

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: August 23, 2023 12:58PM

Although he occasionally utters a *neat* *pithy* truism, NdT should not be arrogantly and condescendingly calling others “stupid” in the name of science, as he does here, and elsewhere ad nauseum. In following this latest rant, one wonders if his motivation is to elevate his own intellectual importance by calling attention to the “stupid” (but relatively rare) mistakes of others.

With that endorsement, let’s have a look at some of NdT’s own brand of stupidity in the form of quotes with my own humble commentary, starting with my own pet peeve:

“You have the illusion of free will, but, in fact, that illusion comes about because you don’t know the future. Because you are a prisoner of the present, forever locked in transition, between the past and the future.”

COMMENT: Ah yes, here we go again with the stupid claim denying the reality of free will; in this case in a particularly stupid form. In what sense are we “locked in" or “prisoners of the present,” unless we are deemed incapable of learning from the past, and thereby influencing our future? But let’s see if NdT can at least be consistent.

Elsewhere he states:

“The problem, often not discovered until late in life, is that when you look for things in life like love, meaning, motivation, it implies they are sitting behind a tree or under a rock. The most successful people in life recognize, that in life they create their own love, they manufacture their own meaning, they generate their own motivation. For me, I am driven by two main philosophies, know more today about the world than I knew yesterday. And lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.”

COMMENT: Wait a minute! Remember, free will is an illusion; we are prisoners of the present. So, how do people create their own love, manufacture their own meaning, and generate their own motivation? In short, how do we consider the past in order to influence the future? Moreover, how do you strive to “know more about the world,” or bring about “less suffering?”

Here we have a familiar theme; the insistence on humanistic values without the free will necessary to make them meaningful. 'Scientific' absurdity at its finest!

“Whether or not you can never become great at something, you can always become better at it. Don't ever forget that! And don’t say “I’ll never be good”. You can become better! and one day you’ll wake up and you’ll find out how good you actually became.”

COMMENT: Really, I can do all of this without free will? Let me pause to note that NdT often -- as in the present video -- calls people stupid who are scientifically ignorant or illiterate. These are people who either do not know scientific facts, or who willfully ignore scientific facts in order to serve their own preferred (perhaps religious) worldview.

But arguably the worst kind of *scientific* stupidity is logical inconsistency, because in such cases a claim, belief, proposition, or worldview, is defeated BEFORE you get to an evaluation of the facts. In this case, NdT’s humanistic utterances (of which there are many) are logically defeated by his inconsistent denial of free will. Thus, the truth or falsity of neurological, psychological, philosophical, or moral “facts” as related to humanistic values become entirely vacuous.

Okay, so much for free will. What else?

“I look up at the night sky, and I know that, yes, we are part of this Universe, we are in this Universe, but perhaps more important than both of those facts is that the Universe is in us.

COMMENT: Another blatant logical fallacy. We are indeed part of the Universe, which is a given. But it makes no sense whatsoever to also conclude that the Universe is “in us.” In what sense could this possibly be true scientifically? The Universe is defined in cosmology, astrophysics, and science generally *holistically* as the sum total of “all that there is.” Anything less than that totality is merely ‘part of the Universe.’ But certainly, the physical whole does not exist in its parts, and thus the Universe does not exist “in us.” [Note: This, of course, is *not* to say that the dynamics of the whole Universe does not influence the dynamics of its parts, or that the dynamic parts of the Universe do not influence the Universe as a whole.]

“The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you”

COMMENT: Of course not. The universe is not a conscious, cognitive moral agent, with obligations of any kind. What is important is that we humans *are* conscious, cognitive agents, with the capacity to reflect on the universe, and our place in it, and the capacity to attempt to make sense of it. This fact tells us something important about the cognitive capacities of human beings, particularly scientists. In short, such capacities transcend any view of human nature that is passive or deterministic, i.e. that is "locked in the present" or lacks free will.

“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them in their cores and exploded these enriched ingredients across our galaxy, billions of years ago. For this reason, we are biologically connected to every other living thing in the world. We are chemically connected to all molecules on Earth. And we are atomically connected to all atoms in the universe. We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”

COMMENT: Again, horrible logic. Although we are physically made of atoms, which theoretically can be originally ‘traced’ to exploding stars, that is NOT what makes us *biologically* connected to every other living thing. Moreover, it does not make us chemically connected to all molecules on Earth, because the biochemical molecules associated with life, such as DNA, were formed after the explosion of stars, not within stars prior to such explosion. What makes us biologically connected is our evolutionary and genetic (biochemical) heritage. The fact that living matter and non-living matter on Earth both originated in stars is entirely beside the point of any biological connection.

“We are stardust brought to life, then empowered by the universe to figure itself out—and we have only just begun.”

COMMENT: Scientifically speaking, there are no forces in the universe that “empower” human intelligence. Such a statement is like equating the Universe with a creator God, or stating that the Universe exists to both create and then empower human beings to figure out the Universe. That is a theistic idea, not a scientific one. The laws of the Universe facilitate the emergence of life, but do not “empower” life to thereafter reflect on the Universe.

“Not only do we live among the stars, the stars live within us.”

COMMENT: Again, absolute nonsense, for reasons as noted above.

“I want to put on the table, not why 85% of the members of the National Academy of Sciences reject God, I want to know why 15% of the National Academy don’t.”

COMMENT: If he really wanted to know why 15% of scientists sustain a personal religious faith, he might want to ask one or two of them, or perhaps attempt to understand religious motivations generally, over and above his own personal ignorance and distain. Scientists who have faith in God typically sustain that faith by noting well-established [non-scientifically informed] mysteries of the Universe, including, life, consciousness, human intelligence, and the undisputed anthropic features of the universe; mysteries that go well beyond NdT’s narrow, ill-informed, scientific worldview. Famous religious scientists, both historically and presently, are not “stupid” and have in one way or another rationally incorporated their religious faith consistently within their scientific knowledge and worldview. For the most part, they are NOT compartmentalizing. To understand this, all you have to do is read their own accounts.

“God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance.”

COMMENT: This comment shows just how ignorant NdT is of both theology and science generally. First, the scope of scientific “ignorance” is well known, and acknowledged by most scientists to be vast, leaving much room in both science and theology for metaphysical speculation, most especially in areas of cosmology, quantum physics, human nature, and yes, religion. Belief in God is hardly a mere “pocket” of such ignorance. God represents a metaphysical worldview that extends well beyond the ignorance of science and its inherent limitations. If you do not understand that, then you do not understand theology and religion generally, or the limitations of science.

“I am convinced that the act of thinking logically cannot possibly be natural to the human mind. If it were, then mathematics would be everybody's easiest course at school and our species would not have taken several millennia to figure out the scientific method.”

COMMENT: Mathematics and logic are not the same disciplines. Thinking *logically* has to do with correct inferences in the context of life’s problems, or intellectual deliberations through the use of *language.* Thinking logically is part of human nature, and likely an adaptation related to our evolutionary heritage that favors survival and reproduction. (Note here numerical calculators do not help us much!)

Mathematics, on the other hand, is a formal system whose operative 'entities' are not words representing facts about the world, but rather abstract numbers and their relations. Mathematical competence of itself has little to do with the logic of critical thinking because their domains are entirely different. NdG proves this point repeatedly as he stumbles logically (as I note in this post) notwithstanding his mathematical and scientific competence within his own field of expertise.

The scientific method represents the application of mathematics to scientific fields that are amenable to mathematical analysis, or mathematical modeling. Logic in science applies to ‘conceptual’ theories or 'conceptual' explanations that are fundamentally expressed in human language not mathematics, like Darwin’s theory of evolution by natural selection. It is no wonder that when you think about your high school classmates (or yourself) you will note that those proficient in math, were not generally the same persons that were proficient in history, or the social studies.

Anyway, so much for NdT.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: August 23, 2023 01:10PM

Hb, to seem to be smarter than NdT, who knew?

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: August 23, 2023 06:41PM

Good stuff, Henry.

Believe it or not, of that class of atheist proselytizers, he’s not even the dumbest. I doubt anyone can out-dumb Sam Harris of late.

Date: August 24, 2023 12:12AM

Human Wrote:
> Good stuff, Henry.
>
> Believe it or not, of that class of atheist
> proselytizers, he’s not even the dumbest.

He’s not an atheist

https://youtube.com/watch?v=I2itlUlD10M&si=QtfUQX9vm0FOr6bl

He’s a lot like Einstein and Sagan, all three of whom probably
Met the dictionary definition of an atheist, but didn’t much care for militant atheists and really didn’t want to be associated with them any more than they wanted to associate with the religious. Neither NdGT, Einstein or Sagan had anything good to say about atheism.

And the Hayden Planetarium didn’t make him director because of the color of his skin or because he’s dumb.

> I doubt anyone can out-dumb Sam Harris of late.

Did I miss something?
What did Sam Harris say that you think is dumb?
I can’t recall a time I thought he ever said anything I thought was dumb.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 23, 2023 08:53PM

Yet again Henry displays his complete inability to imagine that free will is quite possibly an illusion, a fiction we like to tell ourselves, much like "sunset", when the sun doesn't set at all, just a part of the earth spins into the earth's own shadow.

It's kind of like he doesn't have the free will to see society and human consciousness from a different perspective. Ironic, eh?

BTW, quite a few people who have thought deeply on human consciousness lean pretty hard toward free will being an illusion. I haven't thought deeply about it, whatever that means, but I can come up with what I consider reasonable explanations of why society acts as it does without having to resort to free will.

And on the flip side, resorting to free will seems to require a ghost in the machine - that consciousness is not solely a product of the brain/body. I reject that. Yeah, I'm a materialist. Alter the brain, you alter the consciousness. Stop the brain, you stop consciousness.

As for NdGT, he does tend toward the bombastic and his metaphors are often overblown. I find him kind of annoying, but when the bombast gets a little thick, I basically agree with what he is saying, I just wouldn't put it that way. He tries a little too hard to be provocative - El Gato Syndrome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2023 08:55PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: August 23, 2023 09:24PM

"Yeah, I'm a materialist."

But only because you have free will.

Date: August 24, 2023 12:53PM

The result of a series of casual events. No will is needed.

Posted by: Heny Bemis ( )
Date: August 24, 2023 12:08PM

"Yet again Henry displays his complete inability to imagine that free will is quite possibly an illusion, a fiction we like to tell ourselves, much like "sunset", when the sun doesn't set at all, just a part of the earth spins into the earth's own shadow."

COMMENT: All I did was point out a blatant inconsistency in statements made by NdT as related to free will. You do not solve or explain such an inconsistency by pointing out that human beings are often deceived by their senses, or that their intuitions are sometimes wrong. You address such an inconsistency by acknowledging the problem and trying to fix it logically. (Just as you would when coming across a mathematical inconsistency in the context of a mathematical proof.)

This is especially true when all of the empirical evidence of human experience confirms the reality of free will, and denying it plays havoc with human meaning on all fronts of human existence. As I said before, ala Carl Sagen, where is the extraordinary evidence to support your extraordinary claim?

You are a mathematician. If a mathematician points out an inconsistency in a mathematical proof, is that mathematician the one responsible for the inconsistency simply by his own "failure of imagination?" Get real! And try to stop trying to prove my contention that competence in mathematics does NOT equate with competence in logic. :)

"It's kind of like he doesn't have the free will to see society and human consciousness from a different perspective. Ironic, eh?"

COMMENT: I in fact *do* have the free will to consider human consciousness from different perspectives, and by exercising that free will, I have done just that, with considerable effort and diligence. This ability to consider other perspectives exists precisely because of the free will that I acknowledge within human nature. You, and others who deny free will, on the other hand, are the ones that are in a self-defeating position: For you, since you start with the underlying assumption that free will is an illusion, there is no genuine capacity that could facilitate your ability to freely *choose* to engage in a voluntary effort to consider alternative perspectives.

"BTW, quite a few people who have thought deeply on human consciousness lean pretty hard toward free will being an illusion. I haven't thought deeply about it, whatever that means, but I can come up with what I consider reasonable explanations of why society acts as it does without having to resort to free will."

COMMENT: I have already acknowledged that the scientific and philosophical communities are trending towards a denial of free will. But that does not mean they have ANY viable explanations as to how humanist values can nonetheless be meaningfully retained within a context of such denial. On that question, they have no answers. Do you have one?

What is relevant is a 'reasonable explanation' as to why *human agents* act as they do given the denial of free will, not what happens in society. If you can explain that, please do.

"And on the flip side, resorting to free will seems to require a ghost in the machine - that consciousness is not solely a product of the brain/body. I reject that. Yeah, I'm a materialist. Alter the brain, you alter the consciousness. Stop the brain, you stop consciousness."

COMMENT: Resorting to free will *does* require an independent conscious 'self' that freely acts. But the form that self takes does not entail a "ghost in the machine" in the Cartesian sense, or otherwise an immortal "soul" in a religious sense. The self might arise as an emergent property of the brain that is dependent on the brain, and that dies with the brain. All that is required is that the self (whatever it is ontologically) be centered in a conscious cognitive agent, and be capable of mental causation, including an ability to initiate physical causal effects. There is a substantial philosophical literature on this very subject. That said, much if not all of the current counter-intuitive trend denying free will is motivated by a strict scientific-materialist worldview, coupled with fear of any ontology that gives any credence whatsoever to religion.

"As for NdGT, he does tend toward the bombastic and his metaphors are often overblown. I find him kind of annoying, but when the bombast gets a little thick, I basically agree with what he is saying, I just wouldn't put it that way. He tries a little too hard to be provocative - El Gato Syndrome."

COMMENT: Well, take the examples of NdT's conclusions that I have challenged in this thread. Do you agree with him here, notwithstanding my criticisms? (As, for example, his comments related to free will) If so, can you substantially articulate why?

What I suspect you are saying is that you agree with his conclusions intuitively, without critically considering how he came to reach such conclusions. If you take this stance with every scientific (or mathematical) claim; that is, judging the conclusion simply by your own preferred current intuitions, rather than by rational argument, you make it difficult to change your position when rational reflection warrants it.

Date: August 24, 2023 07:48PM

There are all sorts of logical problems in Henry's post, including the assertions that 1) he knows "all of the empirical evidence" and 2) he can identify the "start[ing] assumptions" of all those who disagree with him. In fact, both of those propositions are false.

But I want to focus on the thread running through all of his arguments: namely, the teleological contention that something cannot be true if we, or rather he, dislikes its implications.

Thus. . .

> . . . . denying [the reality
> of free will] plays havoc with
> human meaning on all fronts of human existence.

The answer to that is "so what?" Why should nature care about humans at all? Why does Henry's personal need for "meaning" in life imply that the universe must be ordered so as to produce that result?

--------------
And then this:

> . . . I have already acknowledged that the
> scientific and philosophical communities are
> trending towards a denial of free will. But that
> does not mean they have ANY viable explanations as
> to how humanist values can nonetheless be
> meaningfully retained within a context of such
> denial.

Here again, Henry reasons from his desired result that "humanist values [must be] retained" to his premise that nature is organized to support those values.

But why? Why must nature be organized to produce a situation that supports human "meaning" or "humanist values" as opposed to warthog meaning and warthog values or, more logically, no species' parochial interests at all?

------------
That's the point: Henry is confident there is no God but he believes equally fervently that nature must logically function in a way that produces the outcome he, on behalf of humanity, wants.

Amusingly, however, Henry ends on a note of projection, accusing BoJ of doing what he just did. Here is what he said to BoJ:

> What I suspect you are saying is that you agree
> with [NdGT's] conclusions intuitively; . . . that is,
> judging the conclusion simply by your own
> preferred current intuitions

Thus Henry says BoJ is reasoning from his preferred conclusion backward towards the evidence. Given Henry's own teleological predilections, that is an ironic thing to suggest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2023 07:49PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: August 24, 2023 10:59PM

What LW said.

I am basically agnostic on the existence of free will. Perhaps it does exist, but I find the arguments against it pretty persuasive, I also can conceive of alternate explanations not involving free will for all the human actions that I see in the world.

Specifically, societies do what needs to be done to survive. Those that don't, don't survive, so it is a self-limiting problem. They are no longer around.

Think of an irrigation canal, a common feature along the Wasatch Front. If you need the water to survive, and too much of the water is soaking into the dirt of the canal walls and floor, you line the canal with concrete.

You are not punishing the water or forcing it to behave. Water does what water does. You are altering its environment so that the end result is more conducive to your survival. It's got nothing to do with the water having free will. I think everyone but the panpsychists in the audience will agree water does not have free will.

Society can be viewed the same way. There are certain actions that are deemed detrimental to society. Society restricts those actions. Moral judgement and all that is the illusion. We are just lining the canal with concrete.

Societies of course sometimes botch it and end up doing things detrimental to their survival. Lining the canal with lead instead of concrete may not work out all that well in the long run. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Oops.

So, people that behave certain ways need to be removed from society. That does not have to be seen as passing judgement on poor choices they made. They are doing things dangerous to society and society needs to be protected, so it does things to discourage their behavior. It may feel like passing judgment, but it is just lining the canal with concrete. Or lead.

So, IMHO there are at least two ways to look at societal and individual behavior. I don't see that one POV is favored over the other. Either has the same explanatory power.

The other problem is I really don't know how you prove free will exists. You could have chosen otherwise? How do you know? You were deeply undecided, then made a decision? Why can't being deeply undecided be deterministic?

My current thinking is that human decisions are inherently unpredictable, very much like Heisenberg uncertainty. It is not a matter of us not knowing enough. Decisions are unpredictable because it is even in theory impossible to know enough to predict all decisions, even our own. That impossibility does not constitute free will. Not being able to precisely specify the location and velocity of an atom does not mean the atom has free will, does it? [I will not be the least bit surprised if Henry replies "yes, it does!" He can't choose otherwise. ;) ]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2023 11:10PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: August 24, 2023 11:59PM

I doubt you are aware of this given that Sapolsky is my current intellectual crush and no one else's, but you've landed squarely where he is on the criminal justice point.

In general, he acknowledges having "no idea" what the implications of determinism would be. There is, however, one exception: the legal system. The various legal definitions of insanity all stem from a decision reached in England in about 1850, which is almost as far back as David Hume (an 18th century political philosopher whom Henry amusingly cited as reason to disregard 21st century science). But the standard simply hasn't kept up with our present understanding of cognition and volition.

Where this becomes problematic is in deciding on guilt. Common law courts generally hold that a person is competent to stand trial, and hence to be punished, if she understands right and wrong and can assist in her legal defense. But we know that damage to the frontal lobe--whether through genetic malfunction, malnutrition, illness, or injury--often results in the inability of a person to control her impulses. Such a person can tell you with as much certitude as anyone else what is right and what is wrong and yet they still lash out violently when the urge hits them. In short, they understand the law but cannot conform their behavior to it.

Sapolsky argues just what you do. He says that where there is no agency, there is no guilt. That does not mean the criminal should be released, just that the rationale for her confinement should be the protection of society--what you call lining the canals with cement. Put differently, in these cases the notion of punishment needs to be shelved in favor of socially-mandated removal and housing in a safe and decent place for as long as the community's needs dictate.

Returning to the topic at hand, it is unreasonable to treat all people as equally volitional. Even in Henry's world, presumably, a quadriplegic must be recognized as not having full free agency; so too someone suffering from certain forms of brain injury; a person who undergoes profound physical, sexual, or emotional abuse; or an elderly person whose dementia results in frequent episodes of violence.

Thus even in a non-deterministic world there are cases in which volition is so impaired that it obviates some forms of responsibility--and free agency becomes a relative quality rather than an absolute one.

ETA: for some reason the plural of "bout" is on the list of banned words. Fortunately, "episodes" will suffice!

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2023 12:05AM by Lot's Wife.

Date: August 25, 2023 01:04PM

To the extent we know some causes, the society itself becomes culpable in criminality as well. We would have to accept that the injustices of our laws, economics, opportunity and education distribution are casual impacts to criminality as well. Causes we would need to change to reduce crime.

It also offers a perspective on rehabilitation for those instances where we can identify specific causes.

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: August 25, 2023 01:25PM

“I am basically agnostic on the existence of free will. Perhaps it does exist, but I find the arguments against it pretty persuasive, I also can conceive of alternate explanations not involving free will for all the human actions that I see in the world.:

COMMENT: What arguments do you find “pretty persuasive?” So far, you have not identified any such arguments, let alone articulated them and defended them. Are these arguments philosophical? Empirical (evidentiary)? To help you (and others), here is a summary of the free will debate offered by the highly prestigious online Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy:

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/freewill/#ArguAgaiRealFreeWill

Now, if you have a philosophical or empirical objection to free will, go ahead and state it. Again, to further assist, here is a summary of the common empirical objections as stated in the above cited essay: (I have numbered each objection for convenience.)

“Pereboom’s empirical basis for free will skepticism is very general. Others see support for free will skepticism from specific findings and theories in the human sciences. They point to [1] evidence that we can be unconsciously influenced in the choices we make by a range of factors, including ones that are not motivationally relevant; [2] that we can come to believe that we chose to initiate a behavior that in fact was artificially induced; [3] that people subject to certain neurological disorders will sometimes engage in purposive behavior while sincerely believing that they are not directing them. Finally, [4] a great deal of attention has been given to the work of neuroscientist Benjamin Libet (2002). Libet conducted some simple experiments that seemed to reveal the existence of ‘preparatory’ brain activity (the ‘readiness potential’) shortly before a subject engages in an ostensibly spontaneous action. (Libet interpreted this activity as the brain’s ‘deciding’ what to do before we are consciously settled on a course of action.) Wegner (2002) surveys all of these findings (some of which are due to his own work as a social psychologist) and argues on their basis that the experience of conscious willing is ‘an illusion’. For criticism of such arguments, see Mele (2009); Nahmias (2014); Mudrik et al. (2022); and several contributions to Maoz and Sinnott-Armstrong (2022). Libet’s interpretation of the readiness potential has come in for severe criticism. After extensive subsequent study, neuroscientists are uncertain what it signifies. For thorough review of the evidence, see Schurger et al. (2021).”

The above proposed *cognitive psychological* evidence (objections [1] through [3]) have all be addressed and debunked as grounds to reject free will. (See citations in the essay) The hot button of current free will skepticism still centers around the Libet experiments [4]. Here is the most recent debunking of such evidence, as noted in the last citation above:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8192467/

The authors conclude:

“The RP [neuronal readiness potential] continues to be both a methodological tool and an object of study, but there are significant areas about which we remain unsure, despite advances (see Outstanding Questions). If recent models of the RP are on the right track, we cannot infer from the existence of the phenomenon that it reflects an actual signal in the brain that, in individual trials, has the characteristics of the RP, or that has causal efficacy. Because of this, one cannot infer that we lack conscious free will based on the temporal profile of the RP. If these models are correct, they may have implications for our understanding of free will, but none that avoid significant and substantive philosophical commitments. But given all the other reasons that have been raised for rejecting the classical interpretation (e.g. [3,14,16,17]), even if SDMs are mistaken and the RP does reflect a real neural signal, albeit one difficult to detect on individual trials, the RP would still fail to support the classic inference for the inefficacy of conscious will.”

SO, WITH ALL OF THIS SUBSTANTIAL HELP, PLEASE STATE YOUR “PRETTY COMPELLING” ARGUMENTS DENYING FREE WILL.

Again, my suspicion is that you are merely jumping on the bandwagon of materialist, anti-religion, and atheist-oriented philosophers and neuroscientists without any personal understanding of the issues and arguments involved. As such, I submit that you really have no idea what is legitimately and objectively “compelling,” much less sufficiently “extraordinary” to meet Sagan’s requirement that extraordinary evidence is required to support extraordinary claims.

BoJ: “Specifically, societies do what needs to be done to survive. Those that don't, don't survive, so it is a self-limiting problem. They are no longer around.

The free will issue has little to do with the social sciences per se, except that social policy ultimately requires individual decision-making and action, and thus free will. The central issue in the free will debate has to do with human nature as understood and studied by cognitive neuroscience, cognitive psychology, and related philosophy. As such, your “water” analogy is misplaced, to put it kindly.

BoJ: “The other problem is I really don't know how you prove free will exists. You could have chosen otherwise? How do you know? You were deeply undecided, then made a decision? Why can't being deeply undecided be deterministic?

COMMENT: Well, first, I have never said that free will was provable, or that the denial of free will in favor of determinism, was inconceivable. But more importantly, when you have strongly compelling intuitions that you in fact are a conscious agent; that you in fact are presented with alternative decisions; that you in fact *do* deliberate and weigh such alternative actions; and that you do in fact make such decisions and engage in actions based thereon; and that in fact, such decisions *do* affect the material world and your place in it, including your own life and that of others, where, then, does the burden of proof lie? Really, are you willing to throw out all of what it means to be a human agent out the window because of the mere possibility of determinism. That strikes me as irrational—to say the least.

“My current thinking is that human decisions are inherently unpredictable, very much like Heisenberg uncertainty. It is not a matter of us not knowing enough. Decisions are unpredictable because it is even in theory impossible to know enough to predict all decisions, even our own. That impossibility does not constitute free will. Not being able to precisely specify the location and velocity of an atom does not mean the atom has free will, does it? [I will not be the least bit surprised if Henry replies "yes, it does!" He can't choose otherwise. ;) ]

COMMENT: No one has ever said that the unpredictability of human behavior justifies an assumption of free will. As chaos theory as taught us, complex deterministic systems are highly also highly unpredictable. The fact that you would attribute such a ludicrous position to me, or anyone else, demonstrates, again, that you do not understand the issues, here. That’s fine. I don’t understand a lot of things, including how to solve complex differential equations.

As one of my college professors once told me many years ago:

“[Henry], you need to learn when you should critically push back on an argument or point of view, and when to just listen, learn, and (God forbid) ask questions. You don't have to like the messenger or commit yourself to his or her message by just listening and learning." (Or words to that effect.)

For me (at age 73), this advice is a potent now as it was when I was a 20-plus year-old graduate student, and I follow it daily, and often with uncomfortable humility. I hope it helps you (and others here on RfM) as well.

Date: August 25, 2023 02:01PM

Nonsense again.

As those are mostly claims no one has to overcome any of them. They have to be proven on their own merits and they are not.

The recent discoveries about the bereitshafts potential do discredit that one avenue of thought but don't disprove it completely.

The intuitive claim made for free will is the same as the intuitive claim made against free will. However we are certainly blind toward the subconscious motives and signals that we receive that influence us. This is shown in the different behaviors of the split brain experiments. Different sides of the same person's brain disagree.

Since we currently cannot know what comes before in our thoughts and actions we are slaves to that darkness that comes before. The construct of post hoc justification is the illusion of free will as shown in the analogies of the rider and the elephant, of the Queen of the Parliament and so on, especially in regards to moral reasoning.

Date: August 25, 2023 02:44PM

My ability to explain my position, and your ability to understand it appear to be mismatched. That is mildly inconvenient in our small circle, and irrelevant elsewhere.

I explained why I think there are alternate explanations that don't require free will, so it is not like it must exist of the world as we know it ceases to exist.

Sabine Hossenfelder, a particle physicist with quite the successful Youtube side-hustle going, has a video on why she rejects free will. It is pretty straightforward and basically holds that our brain is our consciousness, and its decision making is done by chemical/electrical events at the molecular level. There is no free will at that level. We see free will only because we are so distant and abstracted from that molecular level.

Yeah, materialist POV. Guilty as charged. Here's Hossenfelder's 20 minute version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI5FMj5D9zU&t=297s

Is she right? I don't know, but there is nothing that I can see that is demonstrably wrong. Maybe it is incomplete and future discoveries will conflict with her view. That's always possible.

Date: August 25, 2023 03:01PM

Life would be so much easier if you just adopted Henry's epistemology: start with the true conclusion and then work backwards, rejecting any evidence that contradicts the conclusion that we've already recognized as true.

That way you don't have to worry about inconvenient details that others may consider so-called "facts."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2023 03:02PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: August 23, 2023 06:37PM

“Think of how stupid the average person is and then realize half of them are stupider than that.”

—George Carlin-

Posted by: robinsaintcloud ( )
Date: August 23, 2023 07:40PM

I think Neil is okay. He writes a lot of interesting stuff.

Posted by: Quercus ( )
Date: August 24, 2023 01:00PM

robinsaintcloud Wrote:
> I think Neil is okay. He writes a lot of
> interesting stuff.

Neil discusses his philosophy :

https://youtu.be/Rf8ic6Y1NG4?feature=shared

Date: August 23, 2023 09:56PM

How does someone who fell for Mormonism have any business calling people stupid?

Anyway...

Aren't we all stupid in our own way? This board has some really smart people on it. Being that smart has its own pitfalls, such as being able to convince oneself of anything. Smart people easily convince themselves the church is true. They hang out here for decades because can't get over being duped.

People are more different than you can imagine, which is fine. We all sip from a firehose of sensory information that mostly blows right past us. The tiny bit that makes it through our filters is the world we see.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: August 24, 2023 03:58AM

I still can't get over the fact that a lot of people on social media don't know the difference between your and you're.

Your right!

Or they add an extra apostrophe.

She had 3 kid's.

Or they think that using "I" makes things more formal.

Judy and I's wedding pictures.

i also can't stand run on sentence they don't make since people need to learn to right the rite way for hell sakes y can't anybody get it rite wots wrong with ppl i no there DUM i actually have a nephew who rites like that and i dont understand half of wot he sez and it drives me crazy cuz hes rilly a smart guy but cant seam to take the time to rite proper english i guess he dont care anyway i hafta go back 2 wk i been working lotsa hours this wk take it easy everyone

Date: August 24, 2023 11:20PM

You were trying to loose me with the last sentence, weren't you?

Bad T-Bone.

Posted by: Lugosi's not dead ( )
Date: August 25, 2023 12:24PM

I've nothing much against him personally, although it would be a big mistake to think that because someone appears on TV that they must be somehow more authoritative than other scientists.

There's my long run on sentence. How about yours?

Date: August 25, 2023 02:15PM

Nobody said he was more authoritative than ‘other scientists’ he’s just authored a lot more books than almost any other scientists. You do realize he has written NYT best selling books on science right? Not many science books make the NYT Bestseller’s list. https://www.ereads.com/best-neil-degrasse-tyson-books/

That, and he brought back Sagan’s Cosmos from the dead. And is the director of the Hayden Planetarium. He’s a great science educator and advocate for science and the scientific method.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.