Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 22, 2023 11:11PM

Just read two accounts of mormon parties, expelled from Nauvoo and starving to death being saved by large flocks of quails landing in their campsite and being so docile they were easily caught by hand, thus saving them from starvation.

Seems more plausible than seagulls eating crickets.

I'd heard the story growing up, but it doesn't seem to get any real publicity in church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 23, 2023 12:02AM

Temple Square has pigeons. The Church doesn't want to give the homeless any ideas.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 23, 2023 10:04AM

The seagull story is one thing. The problem is adding God to the equation.

Where there are swarms of insects you are likely to find a lot of birds ready to dine. Just like giant schools of fish better be looking out for sharks. Nature. Who knew?

But anything can be turned into a miracle with a wink and a nod.

I think it was a repeat show but the seagulls vs the crickets was a jeopardy question last night with Ken pretending not be excited to have his people mentioned.

You remind me my dad used to hunt quail and pheasant and my mom really knew how to cook them. I wonder if the quail really were that docile though in the Miracle of the Quail story.

Would it be a miracle if a bunch of starving wolves had a bunch of clueless humans stumble into the middle? God's hand in that?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 23, 2023 11:19PM

Science leaves meaning to the poets, which leaves meaning making open to all comers. Faith promoting stories have their place in group cohesion. Think George Washington, the saint in stories but closer to a psycho in real life. Maybe it's better to believe the stories.

It's a shame that Mormonism ruined subjective truth for many of us. That destruction of good faith is the thing I refuse to let the church off the hook for. It's a quality of life issue. A life needs a balance of subjective and objective truths. Render unto Caesar blah blah, not by bread alone, etc. Religious texts are such an innovation as to be miraculous, but then there's Mormon burnout.

Mormonism needs to jettison its "us against the world" doctrines. You can't be with your family in Heaven unless you're Mormon because a womanizer with mental pathologies said so. You can't believe that BS without messing up your own mind. So don't make people believe it. There is no one true religion, including Mormonism, which TSCC will never admit.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: August 23, 2023 03:39PM

Very nice, particularly stuffed with prunes. The eggs are good too ;-)

Lucky mormons.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 23, 2023 10:43PM

One of my favorite side dishes when I break the word of wisdom at Rodizio's in trolley square is the quail eggs.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: August 24, 2023 09:53AM

I've tried them, thought they were nasty. Must be an acquired taste.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.