Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gadget ( )
Date: August 25, 2023 10:15PM

Everyone told me Jesus was coming in year 2000 but he never came.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 25, 2023 11:21PM

It was not a factor in my leaving, but I did notice that the closer we came to Y2K, the less church leaders spoke about Christ’s return being nigh. The second coming had been a successful scare tactic for decades, but I think they realized that it had become a “boy who cried wolf” kind of thing.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: August 25, 2023 11:55PM

It certainly signaled a major change in Christianity. The Bible never says the exact date, so there is some wiggle room. But the big day is getting more and more implausible. A lot of people have given up. But a big contingent has responded by digging in and getting more and more militant. The big kicker, in their minds, happened when the USA elected a non-white person to the Presidency. Then that president's party nominated a (gasp!) female as their favorite. Those two events made the believers really lose their minds. That's how we ended up with Jan. 6. And yes, the main driving force was their conviction that they had/have a divine mandate to usher in Armageddon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2023 12:40AM by slskipper.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: August 26, 2023 10:23PM

"It certainly signaled a major change in Christianity"

Y2K no particular effect on Christianity.

Jesus not coming in 20202 had no particular effect either.

So I'm not sure what the change was you're referring to.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 26, 2023 01:27AM

Latest from my Christian friend, 2033.

2000 years after his resurrection.

Posted by: Martin Newton ( )
Date: August 26, 2023 04:25AM

Heartless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Latest from my Christian friend, 2033.
>
> 2000 years after his resurrection.

Never mind that... why are the ruling class so obsessed with the year 2030?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 26, 2023 05:29PM

There are two competing dates for the crucifixion.

April of 30 CE and April of 33 CE.

Both dates occur during an Eclipse as stated in the Bible and are during the time Pontius Pilot was Governor.

Since the 2000 years after birth thing is null and void, many are turning to the 2000 years after crucifixion thing.

Why secular leaders keep spouting 2030 I don't know unless it's simply the next time a decade starts. Easy for sound bites.

Posted by: 90s kid ( )
Date: August 26, 2023 05:05AM

To be fair, I never heard that. I did hear it from other churches. I also heard it would be "soon" in the LDS. But never heard anything in class or officially to suggest 2000.

The LDS does keep saying the Millennium is soon but it isn't like the JWs that way. At least since JS and BY died.

Date: August 26, 2023 01:31PM

You never heard it because you were born too late. In the sixties nobody had to say it- everybody just "knew"it would happen on or about Dec. 31, 1999.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 26, 2023 01:51PM

I never heard of it in the Catholic church while growing up in the 60s. No one I know of was concerned about it or expected it to happen.

Date: August 26, 2023 02:17PM

The operative word here is "Catholic". Catholicism has never been big on the whole Armageddon thing. I was referring to the Mormon experience. We all "knew" that the Big Day would be 2,000 years after Jesus was born. Yes, there was a little leeway because we all knew about calendar discrepancies and so on, but especially due to Ezra Benson/Cleon Skousen we all "knew" that the world's history was limited to seven thousand years. Take away 1000 years for the millennium, four thousand from the time of Adam and Eve, and you are left with simple arithmetic. Jesus was definitely on his way.

The signs were all around us. There was Soviet Communism which was portrayed as Gog and Magog (look it up). We all had our food storage and bomb shelters. Now, nuclear attack was a very real possibility, but Mormons all "knew" that any such event would end with Jesus splitting open the Mount of Olives. There was the "attacks on the family", which really meant attacks on absolute white patriarchy exemplified by such evils as easier divorce for battered women, gay rights and the Equal Rights Amendment, and the Civil Rights movement that was absolutely targeted at Mormons. I am not exaggerating. Trust me when I say that I know what I am talking about.

Date: August 26, 2023 06:40PM

Oh, I believe you. I'm just stating that it was not a part of my RC experience, and I never heard anything from my mainstream Protestant friends either. It must have been more a Mormon and possibly Evangelical/Fundie thing.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 26, 2023 10:47AM

Perhaps Jesus is hesitant to come back with the current climate of humanity for fear of being double crossed?

I have often wondered how long this can go on. In the year 2525 for instance--will this Jesus thing still be going strong?

When I am struggling with a painting that just isn't working it is such a relief to just rend the canvas. With the planet headed the way it is I would say Jesus would be wise to just cut his losses. Or, perhaps he already has?

Date: August 26, 2023 01:53PM

>> In the year 2525 for instance--will this Jesus thing still be going strong?

That's a good question that I've sometimes pondered. Any given religion has to meet people's needs, and be better than any available alternatives. IMO Hinduism has had staying power due to its cultural relevance and adaptability (which could put Christianity to shame.)

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: August 26, 2023 01:51PM

I for one am ready for when Jesus returns, with my crossbow and katana, I’ll double tap that MFing Zombie!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 26, 2023 07:41PM

Just because something has never happened before doesn't mean it can't happen now. If you can't trust a womanizing con man, who can you trust?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 26, 2023 09:13PM

I knew I'd be about 40 that year and so I kept that in mind. I've said it before, my life was a total catastrophe and with Y2K and everyone going nuts about it--even my "husband". I think I still have the big blue barrel of water in the laundry room that he put there just before 12/31/1999.

As it was, I was home with the dog. My kids were staying at a friend's house. I HOPED, I really did, that it was the end, but I KNEW it wasn't. Sure enough as I was sitting there on the sofa counting down, midnight came and went and life went on. At least my life got better after that. Maybe it ended after all!?!?

I left the church over how they handle the gay issues. There are very few things they are as wrong over as they are about gays.

Posted by: dot matrix printer ( )
Date: August 26, 2023 10:58PM

Many stakes ramped up their Be Prepared for Disasters campaigns.

While some members didn't care, there were more Saturday Emergency Preparedness "fairs". I was part of the obligatory correlation to ensure various presenters were indeed committed to showing up to teach members how they could be prepared for possible disasters. I was responsible for calling both the presenters and those who had pledged to attend.

They were having these workshops every 3 to 4 times a year. While they were not specifically called Jesus is coming because the computer systems will have crashed and you will be out of luck, this was a big topic discussed at church~ the 2nd coming. The stake wanted members to be prepared and not rely on the church for their needs.

Some members pooled their monies and purchased two grain trucks worth of wheat. They even contracted two truck drivers to be available to make deliveries if needed. I have no idea what became of the wheat.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 26, 2023 11:03PM

I'm the bad guy who wanted Jesus to come and destroy everything. My house had burned down, and church leaders told me to count my blessings and pound sand when I asked for help.

I was angry and would have welcomed being destroyed.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 26, 2023 11:40PM

Jesus did come in 2000. He just did not reveal himself to the unworthy.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 27, 2023 12:04AM

Are you going to tell them yet, my lord, or is it still too early?

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: August 27, 2023 10:03AM

Did Jesus masturbate on the millennium? I'd rather not know thanks. Can resurrected people be sexually stimulated? I'd rather not know. I guess he was "raised form the dead" but that is only half way there. Did he finish? I'd rather now know.

HH =)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.