Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 26, 2023 01:00PM

At the age of 99, Bob Barker has spun his final wheel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 26, 2023 01:06PM

I'll always appreciate Barker for repeating: “Help control the animal population, have your pet spayed or neutered.”

Dave is a contestant in the final showcase right now. Let's hope he selects the right door.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 26, 2023 01:23PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 26, 2023 02:30PM

I thought he died years ago.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: August 26, 2023 09:22PM

Many children who stayed home from school while sick remember watching "The Price is Right" while curled up in a blanket on the couch. In the 70s the top prize was a Chevy Nova that retailed for around $3,000.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 26, 2023 11:26PM

My mom hated The Price is Right. I had to settle for watching the summer reruns because my mom would send me to school when I was sick.

And if you think that I received some sort of recognition for perfect attendance, think again! Back in the day, it was taken for granted that students would never miss a day of school. There were teachers and administrators who felt that there was no reason to give special recognition for students with perfect attendance. One teacher was very vocal about this. -I'm not going to praise any of you who does something which is already expected of you.

In HS, they started giving perfect attendance awards for every quarter. While I had some "perfect quarters" I was not recognized because my Algebra teacher marked me tardy while standing when the period bell rang. You needed to be in your seat to be marked present. And he had a tray on his desk to turn in previously assigned homework. If you didn't place it in the tray before the bell rang, then it was not accepted. He was that teacher who would tear up your late homework and dump it in his wastebasket. I would rather be tardy by walking back to my seat then flunk his class over incomplete homework. And he was the assigned teacher for Summer School flunkies :(

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 27, 2023 07:10PM

Wow, Messy, you sure had your (mis)adventures!

I remember the opposite. My mom would ask me if I needed to stay home for the day, and, being a diligent student, I would hem and haw. She would then decide to keep me home. I would get a week off for the major diseases of the era -- German measles, Chicken Pox, etc. I would lie on the sofa watching daytime TV and get served chicken soup. Life was as good as it could possibly be if one was not feeling well.

I should add that as a teacher, I really do *not* want for my students to have perfect attendance. Kids get sick. For anything more than a small sniffle, they need to stay home.

My mom took me to see a taping of "The Match Game" in NYC once, but that was before the Bob Barker era. I didn't realize beforehand that more than one episode was taped at a time. I remember as a child being very impressed with the glamour of it all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2023 07:12PM by summer.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 27, 2023 02:21AM

He lived as close as he could to 100 without going over.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: August 27, 2023 06:59PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He lived as close as he could to 100 without going
> over.

I'm gonna steal this. In fact, I already have.

Posted by: The original MOI! ( )
Date: August 29, 2023 09:44PM

LOL! Good one! For me, TPIR lessened when Bob Barker retired. And now, the new upcoming season isn't being held in the Bob Barker Stage, but has been moved somewhere else.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: August 27, 2023 06:52PM

Heartless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At the age of 99, Bob Barker has spun his final
> wheel.

RIP. I really remember his appearance in Happy Gilmore and the fist fight with Adam Sandler. Hilarious because it was so different from his character on Price is Right.

Also, toward the end on Price is Right he got sarcastic with contestants.

Date: August 28, 2023 11:40AM

I watch a lot of classic Price is Right on Pluto TV. During the 1980s, TPIR started picking up steam as the #1 daytime TV show. And Bob was extra nice and enthusiastic with contestants, although he makes some very cringeworthy comments about women and their outfits (and I'm not using today's standards) nobody should say anything about bouncing along when walking/running to contestant row. Unfortunately, BB became more of a monster with numerous SH lawsuits from models after he became an executive producer of the show in 1988.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: August 28, 2023 11:52AM

While I did watch "The Price Is Right," especially during the mid- and late 1970s, the show I will always remember Bob Barker for was "Truth Or consequences." That was really more of a gag show than a game show and you never knew beforehand what was going to happen prior to each episode.

Getting back to "The Price Is Right,", one of my cousins was a contestant on the show during the 1980s. She made quite a name for herself with the rest of the family not for her game performance but for literally rolling down the aisle to take her place onstage. She had suggested the idea as a joke, and the show's producers insisted she do the actual thing--I hope it gave them higher ratings!

Date: August 28, 2023 01:07PM

Just read that his family is honoring his final wish to not have a funeral or memorial service.

Next month, the LDS church will call Bob to come on down to do his temple work which he would likely not want. (a reflection on the newly announced 30 day wait period for temple work)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.