Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: August 27, 2023 11:09AM

Is there anything to the Mormon claim that the Uto-Aztecan language family is related to Hebrew? I have only studied Hebrew on an elementary level, so I can't debunk it. Does anyone here know what's going on with this claim?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 27, 2023 12:07PM

http://www.sciforums.com/threads/uto-aztecan-languages-related-to-hebrew.20347/page-2

Explore this link at you leisure, it’s a fun read in a forum of people discussing the issue you raise.

Recognition is given of the fact that mormon *scholars* want desperately to link the two languages …”

edited to say "oops!"  My link takes you to the third page.  In the upper left corner are links to the first two pages.  Click on page 1 and order will be restored to your life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2023 12:30PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: August 27, 2023 01:21PM

https://nahuatlstudies.blogspot.com/2019/09/an-evaluation-of-nahuatl-data-in-brian.html

For a less technical presentation see (scroll down to bottom of page although the hole page is interesting)

http://packham.n4m.org/linguist.htm#VOCABULARY

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 28, 2023 02:15AM

So....has a native Hebrew speaker and a native Uto-aztecan speaker sat down and had a conversation? If so could they understand each other?

Have they both translated a document, say the old see Dick and Jane books and the swapped books to see if they could read them?

Over the last 50 years I've seen dozens of these "studies" but no one ever seems to try and have the two groups interact.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 28, 2023 12:32PM

Why has archeology proven all of Joseph Smith's speculations about pre-Columbian America wrong? Wouldn't a prophet at least guess something right?

There could not have been a Nephi and his family because the narrative is physically impossible. If something can't happen, shouldn't claims that it did be given extra scrutiny?

In Mormonism, obviously not. The Mormon answer is "it's only impossible if you don't believe". The edifice of Mormon doctrine has no foundation but "feelings". It's the great and spacious building. So in that sense, I wouldn't call it a healthy way of life.

This isn't to put down beliefs. Just because Santa is made up doesn't mean there's no Christmas. But at some point it makes sense to acknowledge physical reality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2023 12:51PM by bradley.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 28, 2023 01:26PM

As a non scholar but an astute student of desperation I must state that it just shouldn't be this hard to establish a connection had one existed. About the only thing similar between the two languages is that they both use words and open their mouths to speak the words.

Anyone espousing this would regard as flawed any scholarly refutation comparing Aztec and Hebrew, cuz it could be. Right? And you can't prove it couldn't be. Why bother to even discuss?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.