Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Concerned ( )
Date: August 27, 2023 03:50PM

for deceased members. I am on another site and the people are rejoicing because the wait to do work for deceased people is only 30 days instead of waiting 1 year. Many are happy because they can be sealed to a loved one who passed away and was not a member or they did not get sealed before they passed.
I for the life of me can not think of a reason why the Church did not put this into place when temple work was started. Is God really that slow at revealing things? My take is they have so many temples that are under used that maybe this is a way to get more people into the temple to make them busy. And it has nothing to do with revelation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 27, 2023 03:56PM

Concerned Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My take is they have so many
> temples that are under used that maybe this is a
> way to get more people into the temple to make
> them busy. And it has nothing to do with
> revelation.

This sounds very likely, on both counts.

The doctrine of ongoing revelation is very convenient. The idea that things are revealed in due course or when members can handle the new way is so very convenient for the (over)seers isn't it?

It leaves all their options open, as illustrated with this major change.

Too bad something is happening to make members happy. The less happy they are the more open they may be to the idea of getting out of Dodge.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 27, 2023 04:33PM

I agree, it's all very convenient. It's like announcing a fire sale at the temple.

That, or Rusty got new batteries for his lighted pen.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 27, 2023 04:19PM

Maybe the internet is finally up and running in Spirit Prison?

If I had been (and I was SO CLOSE!) the first Lamanite apostle, I would be preaching that the one-year delay was because if the deceased hadn't repented here, despite ME telling them it was all true, then certainly the work was going to take time there in Spirit Prison.

Meaning that I'd change my apostolic tune and explain that things are up and running so smoothly now in Spirit Prison that even the most contrary jack-mormon can be 'cured' in a month or so.

I'd also add that a month of the deceased tithing would be required, or the wait would still be a year.  Which is why apostles get paid the big bucks...

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 27, 2023 07:56PM

The TK gets dial-up modems the CK throws away. The CK is obviously discarding better hardware.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 27, 2023 06:48PM

The increase in usage of the temple would only be temporary. If this is indeed the policy change, then 11 months worth of pending temple ordinances will be suddenly eligible for processing. Once that spike in eligibility is processed, the number of deceased people each month that become eligible for Temple processing would be exactly the same as before the policy change.

This is a one-time shot in the arm that will last 6 months to a year, more or less.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2023 06:49PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: August 27, 2023 07:40PM

Funny how math comes into even this scenario too. It really does make the world go 'round. Unusually, I understand its application in this case. That is a brilliant thought (to my no-numbers-please brain), that it's a very short term gain for the church. Soon the near-immediate sealing will become commonplace and won't seem like any big deal at all as time goes on.

But if church leaders keep on tweaking things members can feel confident in the ongoing revelation idea.

Isn't it marvelous.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 27, 2023 07:50PM

> This is a one-time shot in the arm that will last
> 6 months to a year, more or less.

Just as happened with the lowering of the missionary ages. There was a one-time surge as all those 18-year-old boys and 19-year-old girls added their applications to the pile, but thereafter the numbers subsided to the demographically-driven rates that obtained before.

Date: August 27, 2023 08:12PM

Oh. Good example of back-up evidence for BoJ's mathematical deductions.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 02, 2023 10:41AM

Mathematics is the devil's work.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 27, 2023 07:29PM

I have no doubt that the moment each of her heretic family members dies, she'll be having our work done. I don't care. I don't believe it anyway.

My boyfriend has requested that I tell my daughter not to have him baptized and I'm like, "Are you kidding? She wants you out of the picture. She wants her family sealed together." I don't tell him that, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out.

Date: August 27, 2023 07:35PM

Heretic. LOL

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: August 27, 2023 08:26PM

I hope that deceased person is paying close attention so they can demonstrate the proper handshakes to get into heaven when the time comes.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: August 27, 2023 09:32PM

Lol my active TBM mom is so surprised when I know temple changes before her. Lol know if I die before my mom my work will be done in 30 days after my death.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 27, 2023 11:09PM

I have outlived everyone that would be tempted to reinflict me with Mormon membership. I as home free. Unless some random stranger decides they can get a brownie point for sending in a name of someone they don't even know.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 28, 2023 12:44AM

This gives me creepy vibes like the property buyers who swooped in to buy land in Hawaii before the victims could have time to think.

If the family of a person who dies is in mourning, they will still be upset after only a month. Not that the the Mormon church publicly announces who they are baptizing, but, if the grieving family hears the Mormons have swooped in to baptize their loved ones who are barely cold in the grave, it's a very bad look. It kind of seems like Mormons want to grab the dead people before their family is able to discuss and be aware of it.

So, do they do a sweep of all the recent deaths from the various reporting sources now in addition to waiting for names to be submitted from the poor dupes doing genealogy work? I wonder if it is harder to sweep all the sources that report deaths if they wait too long.

They repeat and circulate the same darn names to be endowed all the time. I don't know why they need to rush things now. What are they going to do when they baptize people the day of death and they can't move the date anymore to generate more people?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 28, 2023 01:46AM

The one year wait was mainly a punishment.

Want a civil wedding before a temple sealing? Well you'll have to wait one year if you do, unless....you live where a civil marriage legally has to be public, or is the only type recognized by the local government or.... You live too far from a temple to get married there.

Now that the church did away with the one year punishment for the living, no need to extend it to the dead.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 28, 2023 01:59AM

Why wait for people to die?

They could take care of the living as well.

And they could do all of those who have yet to be born as well.

And when is Stan getting his temple work done? Doesn't that bother Jesus that his brother doesn't have his temple work done?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 29, 2023 01:47AM

I never understood why Jesus dying redeemed us from sin, but he couldn't be baptised or endowed "for and on behalf of all who have lived, are alive or shall live upon the earth"

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 28, 2023 01:47PM

Maybe Jews with Holocaust victim ancestors will have something to say about this.

Posted by: dinosaurprincess ( )
Date: September 02, 2023 10:17AM

I'm wondering if reducing the time would make it easier to remember to get the work done? It's not like everyone is setting a year out reminder for each name. Life gets busy. I'm betting this might increase the numbers just by a smidge for those of us with mom brain that forget our own names at times...

Date: September 02, 2023 04:06PM

I think this is great news. Now I can not go to the temple more often!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 02, 2023 04:11PM

I'm pretty sure you're not going enough as it is.

Date: September 02, 2023 04:13PM

You can never not go to Mormon temple enough.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.