Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: skibabe ( )
Date: August 29, 2023 05:35PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 29, 2023 05:45PM

With other viable choices, why?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 29, 2023 06:26PM

You would have to play the game. Some people can do it, and others crack under the pressure. Your call. I would suggest two years at a community college and two years at a state university as a viable alternative.

ETA: As others point out downstream, there is a big difference between PIMO (physically in, mentally out)/inactive, and resigned. If you've formally resigned from the church, your chances of being admitted are slim to none. If you are PIMO or inactive, then you just need to play the game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2023 05:21AM by summer.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: August 29, 2023 06:33PM

If you're just inactive, you have to go through the motions and get your ecclesiastical endorsement, then just keep your head down and fly under the radar and get your degree. I quit halfway through BYU and did just that.

If you have had your name removed, that's probably different in that as a "non-mormon" you would pay high tuition, and if they knew you resigned, they may not accept you.

Reasons to go? Cost of living is low (at least it was when I went there in the late 80's), member tuition is low compared to other schools, and it's an accredited school.

I majored in Manufacturing Engineering and have no regrets.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: August 29, 2023 07:14PM

https://policy.byu.edu/view/admission-policy

"Applicants whose Church membership is withdrawn, who have formal Church membership restrictions, who have resigned membership in the Church, or who otherwise lack an ecclesiastical endorsement, may request an exception to this policy by completing an Ecclesiastical Endorsement Exception Application (Exception Application). Undergraduate applicants may obtain the Exception Application from the Enrollment Services executive director, and applicants to graduate programs may obtain it from the dean of Graduate Studies. The burden of persuasion is upon the applicant to demonstrate to the university through the information submitted that the relevant facts and circumstances warrant an exception to this policy.

Depending on which program the applicant is applying for, the Exception Application will be reviewed by the Enrollment Services executive director, the dean of Graduate Studies, or the dean of Continuing Education, as appropriate. The reviewer may interview the applicant to give the applicant an opportunity to further explain circumstances that might justify an exception. The reviewer may not speak to the applicant’s present and former ecclesiastical leaders without the applicant’s express written consent. If the applicant does not consent, then the response to the Exception Application will be based on the information available.

After reviewing the Exception Application, the reviewer will make a recommendation to the president of the university, who has the sole authority to grant exceptions. The president will grant an exception only in very limited cases where the president determines in his or her sole discretion that the relevant facts and circumstances warrant an exception to this policy."

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 29, 2023 07:52PM

So basically the same process and probability as asking for a temple divorce.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 29, 2023 08:25PM

Exactly.

The policy used to be that resigned/excommunicated people would be expelled if a student, and denied admission if an applicant.

The ABA or whatever organization accredits law schools took a very dim view of expelling law students who had resigned their membership as an ethical imperative.

I knew BYU made an exception for law students because of that, but as noted above, the exception applies to all students at the university. So in theory an exmo can be admitted and can remain a student. I’m surprised, and have no idea how many exceptions are made. My guess: not many.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: August 29, 2023 08:43PM

if you are a close relative of an apostle, or you are 7'-2" and can play basketball, you can probably get an exception. Otherwise, good luck.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: August 29, 2023 11:25PM

You could apply as a never Mo.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: August 30, 2023 11:28AM

My sister did 3/4 yrs as an ExMo atheist at BYU. It was actually a BoM History class that turned her into an ExMo. After hearing about Joseph’s history of money digging and fortune hunting she verified it was real and exited, stage left. She figured if the Mormon church wasn’t true, none of it was. But she still wanted to finish her degree, so she faked it until she made it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2023 11:29AM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: September 08, 2023 12:15PM

If you have formally resigned, you will not be accepted for admission at BYU.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.