Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: barbora ( )
Date: September 04, 2023 04:17AM

It seems like mormon underwear would be more expensive than local underwear in poor countries.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: September 04, 2023 07:12AM

I was a poor student and all I could afford was 5 pairs of garments at the time.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: September 04, 2023 01:51PM

How much do men's garments cost?

I recently bought 9 pair of whitey tighties at Am--on for $16.47.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: September 06, 2023 01:55PM

Back in the day my parents had terrible times trying to pay for garments. They wore them 'til they fell to pieces. It wasn't easy and they were only available from a Mormon shop which was at the rear of a newsagent owned by Mormons in a town not far from the Mormon Temple.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 06, 2023 02:37PM

I went with my mom to the Beehive Clothing Store~ it's been 35 years and I think that's what it was called. It rented space next to the local DI in CA. I was called to serve a mission and you had to have purchased church temple garments before going to the temple for your personal endowment (which I still didn't know what it was called despite taking a one year temple prep class).

On the way to the DI, mom surprised me by offering to pick up a fast food meal at Burger King. My mom never took any of my siblings to eat out so this was going to be a treat. I think I ordered a Whopper combo and she ordered a Fish burger that BK was offering at the time. We were in the drive thru lane and the total came to 8 or 9 dollars. My mom changed her mind- Cancel that order. It's too much. If making a fuss wasn't bad enough, she decided that she wasn't going to wait and drove over a double walled curb with flowers dragged from the planter. The crash scraped the oil pan and her Nissan Sentra began smoking from leaking oil. She left an adjacent parking lot under a gulf of smoke.

At the garment store, she helped me buy 14 pairs which were the minimum set required by my stateside mission. I was shocked at how much each one cost 4.75 for a top garment and 3.85 for a bottom. It was 120 for my set and my mom ordered herself several sets. I think she wrote a check for more than 200 dollars.

Recap- BK combos, too much but she gleefully wrote a 200 dollar check to the church's clothing store.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 06, 2023 03:43PM

Not to mention the car repair, and the damage to the grounds of the restaurant, though I doubt she offered to pay for that.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 06, 2023 04:07PM

She got it her way.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: September 06, 2023 10:30PM

Probably. According to the church, Africa is their fastest growing area. Good luck with that. Since they don't wear shirts, they won't need the tops. And loincloth bottoms should be cheaper that the USA bottoms.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 07, 2023 02:50PM

Kinshasa, DR Congo, has a distribution center on one of their main "streets." The garments are heavily subsidized so that they are in financial reach of the locals.

(On a lighter side, garments are a hit in places like DRC because the population has heavy belief in magical thinking. These are people who were killing each other when I arrived in 2005 for the notion that some personal notion that someone had paid a "fetish" to cast a spell that would make one's penis disappear.)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 07, 2023 04:20PM

cludgie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kinshasa, DR Congo, has a distribution center on
> one of their main "streets." The garments are
> heavily subsidized so that they are in financial
> reach of the locals.
>
> (On a lighter side, garments are a hit in places

> notion that some personal notion that someone had
> paid a "fetish" to cast a spell that would make
> one's penis disappear.)

Hey, only about half the population had a penis... Not sure Exactly about how that happened, but (?)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.