Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 09, 2023 01:24AM

The newest location in Alberta for a Mormon Temple is on Whoop-Up Drive. Made me laugh. Mormons aren't generally known for kicking up their heels. In fact, they're scarcely a blip here in Canada, as far as I can tell. Mostly known, if at all, for polygamy and the alcohol ban. Surely it makes more sense the other way 'round.

https://lethbridgeherald.com/news/lethbridge-news/2023/09/08/lds-temple-to-be-built-along-whoop-up-drive/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2023 01:33AM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 09, 2023 01:34AM

The news video of the site showed a Boston Pizza location nearby...where they serve a lotta beer! Perfect to quench one's thirst after a dry and boring temple session! Hehehe

Date: September 09, 2023 01:42AM

Beer!

I was brought up with the idea that ladies don't drink beer.

Well then, I'm not a lady. Love the stuff. My parents always said I am my grandfather's grandchild (mum's side) and my father's side as well, definitely. We had some good times together in the pub discussing the world and all its glory and also its lack thereof.

You'd think the alcohol ban alone would have sent me screaming from the missionary approach.

What can I say. I lack discernment at times. In both the world's and the Christian contexts.

Now I live right nearby a Canadian Legion. They know how to pull a good pint.

Yay for water, malts, hops and yeast.

Yay for the Master Brewer. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2023 01:45AM by Nightingale.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 09, 2023 01:53AM

My dad would occasionally give me a sip of his beer when I was a kid. Oh, the corruption! Nowadays, I like a beer on a hot afternoon. Sometimes I'll even have one with my lunch on a Saturday or Sunday.

Date: September 11, 2023 12:41PM

First pint is on me if you're ever in Lethbridge. I luv the stuff too. Quality over quantity now in my senior years...but it sure hits the spot.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: September 12, 2023 11:02PM

This reminds me of a time in Star Valley, was out on a dinner date with my Molly Mormon GF. Another gfs I had dated was a waitress, she came in back of me, when MM was distracted, the waitress asked if I'd get her and her friends some beer. Of course they were under age.

After I had taken MM home I stopped by a bar and got a couple of cases of beer. Went to my apartment and waited.

When the waitress showed up, I grabbed the beer and walked out to her car. When the car door opened and the dome light came on there was a total of six girls. Quick head math, 8 beers per.

Just about that time, a couple of young men, white shirts, tie and name tags approach our little gathering. Lots of hams and hawks, finally one the missionaries said that they saw we were busy and they'd come back later.

The girls about soiled themselves and explained to be about missionaries, beer,other related misdeeds and the report system.

I wasn't too worried except for supplying beer to minors. None of the girls would tell me if anyone ever got reported or got into trouble.

Life was simpler 50 years ago.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 09, 2023 01:54AM

Cue the petition for a street-name change. Or, the Mormons will go with the address on the adjoining corner street, Mauretania Rd. West.

Date: September 11, 2023 02:49PM

The cult could try for a name change but Whoop Up is pretty ingrained in our history (a replica of the fort is in the river valley as one proceeds west on Whoop Up Drive towards the oh so white and delightsome McTemple site).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2023 02:50PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Date: September 11, 2023 03:50PM

Are we taking bets on whether LR will be at the temple opening (or whatever ceremony they allow the Great Unwashed to witness)?

Not that LR is the Great Unwashed - but rather that term applies to all non-Mormons, so to speak.

Date: September 12, 2023 03:25PM

I kinda avoid crowds so probably won't be at the shindig...other than to drive by and flip it the bird on my way to a nearby pub for a beer!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2023 01:13AM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 09, 2023 01:59AM

The street is named after Fort Whoop-Up, the nickname of a fort/trading post established by Americans from Montana to trade whiskey for pelts with the native peoples.

The disruption and crime fostered by the “whiskey forts” was the main impetus for the formation of the North West Mounted Police.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 09, 2023 05:16AM

For those times when Whoop-Up turned into Whoop-Ass.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: September 09, 2023 09:21AM

After you've been through the temple to "take out your endowments" you'll likely look back on the experience and say, "Well that was a big whoop".

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: September 09, 2023 09:28AM

After you've been through the temple to "take out your endowments" you'll likely look back on the experience and say, "that was a big whoop".

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: September 11, 2023 12:55PM

Let us go whoop it up at the woop up temple in Lethbridge. I know the spot and let me tell you the temple will really stand out as you go up the hill on Woop Up Drive.

Date: September 12, 2023 03:21PM

It will be prominent. But then again...it's THE most important structure ever to be constructed in Lethbridge since the beginning of time!!!!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 11, 2023 01:22PM

With the Reprobate's permission and cooperation, we should have a BBQ or other type of appropriate shindig somewhere in Lethbridge next summer, between forest fires...

Given sufficient notice, a goodly number of us might make it there...

You'll know who I am because I'm short (4'14"), will be wearing brown huaraches...and acting like White Women disgust me.

Date: September 12, 2023 03:22PM

I'll be there!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.