Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: September 17, 2023 07:02PM

On my recent trip to EnglandI spent some time in Salisbury Wiltshire, a liovely market twon that earns the designation city (English qualification) because of its beautiful cathedral. Set in acres of green space called The Close because of surrounding buildings and grand homes, it is light and airy and a marvel of 13th Century construction.

It is marked by its massive spire (404 feet) which dominates the skyline and causes wonder on how such an ediface could be built in that age without the use of modern tools and equipment. It is as inspiring today as it must have been when finished 700 years ago, and, too, when Constable to created his classic painting.

While there, I was reminded of comments I heard often as a new church member from young missionaries who dismissed such buildings as potential grain silos during the millenium when the LDS Church would be in control. I can forgive them their youth but perhap struggle at their casual dismissal of such wonders. Philistines are still alive and well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 17, 2023 07:13PM

There's no shortage of ignorance. It's like the extreme Islamists who blew up priceless Buddhist artifacts.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/why-extreme-islamists-are-intent-destroying-cultural-artifacts-flna1B8222275

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 17, 2023 07:50PM

Unforgivable.

Date: September 17, 2023 07:17PM

The cathedral houses one of four original copies of the Magna Carta. Probably they would have no time for that either.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 17, 2023 07:37PM

It's Sunday, so he's currently unreachable, but as soon as I can, I will query Judic West to see if he happened to do any Archbishop'ing there in the Salisbury Wiltshire prefecture...

I know of his service in Littlesex, the Wold, and also in Levon-Wore-his-war-wounds-like-a-Crown, Cornwall, which was just before he received his last posting, in Northumberland, at its northern tip...

What I particularly enjoy, as a Lamanite, regarding the Salisbury cathedral is its original name, "the Cathedral Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary."  ...Lupe, to her friends.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salisbury_Cathedral

Date: September 17, 2023 07:51PM

Littlesex. . .

Wasn't that where he first met you?

Date: September 17, 2023 07:52PM

The real question is how did you pronounce Salisbury in your mind when you did your research. Hint...it is no pronounced Sal is bury.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 17, 2023 08:47PM

Mind???

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 17, 2023 09:22PM

Thinking Is the Best Way to Travel

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoYbGPO_KKs

Date: September 17, 2023 10:04PM

For some people a car is better.

Posted by: Caffiend nli ( )
Date: September 17, 2023 10:35PM

Americans turn them into art galleries, community theaters, condominiums, restaurants, etc.
Conversely, my church was once a banquet and function hall named after a pagan god.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 18, 2023 01:52AM

At least the Philistines were real people.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 20, 2023 04:47AM

I've been conversing with Mormons online lately. The ignorance has become a thing of amusement to me. Young Mormons are deeply ignorant of church history. Many know nothing of the negro ban. They tell me I made it up. Their knowledge of Joe Smith is the usual. They believe he was never polygamous. Some tell me he wrote the book at age fourteen without help. Also, many deny that the Hill Cumorah was ever in New York state. I don't even know how that works. Each one tells me, "I think for myself. I just happen to love the prophet." Same old, same old.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2023 04:48AM by donbagley.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.