Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: September 20, 2023 01:30PM

Have heard this one a number of times through the years in MFMC settings.

Joseph Fielding or another of the top GA Smiths had stated that Joseph held Priesthood - somehow. Don't remember the particulars, just that it was a convoluted method to justify Josephs vision.

Somehow it fits - joe did not see God & Jesus. He did not claim it so - just '2 personanges, my beloved son' speil.

So - do they actually believe Priesthood is needed to see God?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 20, 2023 01:36PM

I used the above variation of your line at the Y just after my mission!!!

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 20, 2023 03:35PM

And no one holding the priesthood has seen god.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 20, 2023 01:50PM

Despite years of propagated claims of the apostles seeing God inside the temple (and never making any effort to refute/correct such claims) they finally went on the record that none of them see or meet with God. Moreover, they now claim to only be witnesses of his name, not the person. ---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2023 05:59PM by Maude.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 20, 2023 01:52PM

I never heard that exactly. What does that mean for women? She only gets to see God if her male handler takes her? That's the way the temple is set up. Women need a male middleman. Eye roll.

Date: September 20, 2023 02:18PM

I always figured it meant that women could feel the Iron Rod of ghawd if they'd just hold still long enough...

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 22, 2023 10:05AM

Certain woman can hold my Priesthood.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: September 20, 2023 02:51PM

I'm sure this had probably been said in the church, but in reality, no one except the top leadership of the church can see God or say they've seen God. You're allowed personal revelation, inspiration to a degree in the Mormon church. If you're an average priesthood holder who goes around saying that you've had visions like Joseph did, you'd most likely be excommunicated. Of course, a woman could expect the same punishment.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 20, 2023 04:02PM

Did I feel anything different after I was stripped of my priesthood? Nope. I never had a spiritual thought while I held it. Nothing changed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2023 04:03PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 20, 2023 05:08PM

Exactly what part of the priesthood do I need to hold? Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 20, 2023 06:35PM

like someone here or on fb was talking about Kolob the other day and I had never heard of Kolob until I came here.

That's okay if I can't see God. I'm not at all impressed with the men who say they represent him.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 20, 2023 09:52PM

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: September 21, 2023 03:45PM

One can’t see God w/ or w/o holding Priesthood because he doesn’t exist.

Date: September 21, 2023 04:04PM

That's what they used to say about the ghawd particle...

One must have faith!  Or works...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 21, 2023 04:12PM

I'm just waiting to see what Einstein and those other famous believers have to say when they learn that their colleague The Cat has declared nature dead.

Date: September 22, 2023 04:12PM

I didn’t say, god, I said, God doesn’t exist.
BIG difference.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 22, 2023 04:44PM

Does God believe that you exist?

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 23, 2023 02:26PM

One on the songs that I've written (in this case, in the 90s...) contains the line:

"I can't believe in gods who don't believe in me". Not only am I inordinately proud of the line ;-), I also believe it to be true.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2023 02:27PM by Soft Machine.

Date: September 22, 2023 04:57PM

Talking with you, Mr The Cat, is like trying to hit a moving target. What you say one day is likely to appear again the next day prefaced with a minus sign. And that remains true whether you spell God with an upper-case or a lower-case "c".

It's instructive, for instance, that you always capitalize God when he appears with his beloved son Particle. Why, you've done that four times in just the last two weeks!

Date: September 24, 2023 01:57PM

Spinoza’s god

“I believe in Spinoza's god, who reveals Himself in the lawful harmony of the world, not in a god who concerns himself with the fate and the doings of mankind.” Einstein

“The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard, who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous. But if by God, one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God.” Sagan

“God is the name people give to the reason we are here, but I think that reason is the laws of physics rather than someone with whom one can have a personal relationship. An impersonal God.” Hawking

“I use the word “God” in an impersonal sense, like Einstein did, for the laws of nature, so knowing the mind of God is knowing the laws of nature. My prediction is that we will know the mind of God by the end of this century.
The one remaining area that religion can now lay claim to is the origin of the universe, but even here science is making progress and should soon provide a definitive answer to how the universe began. I published a book that asked if God created the universe, and that caused something of a stir. People got upset that a scientist should have anything to say on the matter of religion. I have no desire to tell anyone what to believe, but for me asking if God exists is a valid question for science. After all, it is hard to think of a more important, or fundamental, mystery than what, or who, created and controls the universe.
I think the universe was spontaneously created out of nothing, according to the laws of science. The basic assumption of science is scientific determinism. The laws of science determine the evolution of the universe, given its state at one time. These laws may, or may not, have been decreed by God, but he cannot intervene to break the laws, or they would not be laws. That leaves God with the freedom to choose the initial state of the universe, but even here it seems there may be laws. So God would have no freedom at all.” Hawking
Brief Answers to the Big Questions

“So Einstein was wrong when he said, "God does not play dice." Consideration of black holes suggests, not only that God does play dice, but that he sometimes confuses us by throwing them where they can't be seen.” Hawking

“One god is a personal God, the God that you pray to, the God that smites the Philistines, the God that walks on water. That’s the first God. But there’s another god, and that’s the god of Spinoza. That’s the god of beauty, harmony, simplicity.” Kaku

Date: September 24, 2023 02:07PM

So, life is about quoting people who, when you tell others who you're quoting, they're impressed?  

And when no one can come up with more impressive quotes, you win?

Date: September 24, 2023 02:20PM

Please don't interrupt The Cat when he's having deep thoughts by thoughtlessly reproducing others' deep thoughts.

Date: September 24, 2023 07:37PM

I have always agreed with what Einstein, Sagan, Hawking and Kaku all agree upon, the word ‘god’ is what some people call nature, our creator and reason for being.

Where I disagree with Einstein is that he said God does not play dice with the universe.

I’m with Hawking, Einstein was wrong, god, nature, plays dice all the time, only she throws them where we can’t see them, in her black hole.

Where I disagree with Hawking, is his use of pronouns and capitalization.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2023 07:41PM by schrodingerscat.

Date: September 24, 2023 07:43PM

You can't resist the middle-school vulgarity, can you.

Date: September 24, 2023 08:07PM

That’s what Hawking said.

“So Einstein was wrong when he said, "God does not play dice." Consideration of black holes suggests, not only that God does play dice, but that he sometimes confuses us by throwing them where they can't be seen.” Hawking

I just disagree with his use of ‘He’ when nature is not he or she, it’s more of an it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2023 08:09PM by schrodingerscat.

Date: September 24, 2023 02:22PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2023 02:22PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: September 21, 2023 04:36PM

Tommy Chong said he played Black Sabbath backwards and saw god.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 23, 2023 02:28PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.