Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chez ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 01:45PM

I'm not sure if there's a poll feature here, so I'll just ask straight-up. How old is the average user here?

Are there any fellow teens?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 01:50PM

I graduated from High School in 1962.

I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 02:10PM

> I still don't know what I want to be when I grow
> up...

That reminds me of an experience I had several years ago. I was driving some children to a sporting event and one of them, a 12-year-old who labors under the illusion that I am successful, asked me how old I had been when I figured out what I wanted to do with my life. I paused for a second and then said, "I'll let you know when I get there."

Life is so much a process of constant self-reinvention as we adapt to changing circumstances. . .

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 03:50PM

>> Life is so much a process of constant self-reinvention as we adapt to changing circumstances. . .<<

Once you make it to AP, that part is no longer necessary.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 07:10PM

We don't know what we want you to be when you grow up either EOD :)

Date: September 28, 2023 07:18PM

Or even whether we want him to grow up.

If he did, he could drink--and drive!

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 11:24PM

I was already married in 1962 and awaiting my first child.

Date: September 29, 2023 12:07AM

I wasn't married, but I desperately wanted to get Paula B. with child, and I practiced constantly!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 01:59PM

We're all Swifties.

Date: September 28, 2023 02:03PM

Can't tell if you're kidding

Date: September 28, 2023 02:26PM

Uncertainty is one of the more interesting spices of life!

Date: September 28, 2023 02:57PM

True, but theres a reason I'm an exmo. I hate not knowing the truth.

Date: September 28, 2023 03:08PM

Chez Wrote:
-------------------------------
> I hate not knowing the truth.

You should, at the very least, learn to co-exist with this condition since it is, by our very nature, a constant.

Plus, even when you think you're safe in assuming a Truth, that Truth can change; can almost be counted on to change.

You can't even be sure you know the truth about yourself!

It's possible that there are attributes of our humanity that are even more important than knowing the truth.

As a test, try to list some non-science "truths" that you deem to be unassailable. (If you were The Cat, I'd let you list some scientific "truths" just for shiz and giggles.)

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: October 02, 2023 11:25PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chez Wrote:
> -------------------------------
> > I hate not knowing the truth.
>
>
> You should, at the very least, learn to co-exist
> with this condition since it is, by our very
> nature, a constant.
>
> Plus, even when you think you're safe in assuming
> a Truth, that Truth can change; can almost be
> counted on to change.
>
> You can't even be sure you know the truth about
> yourself!
>
> It's possible that there are attributes of our
> humanity that are even more important than knowing
> the truth.
>
> As a test, try to list some non-science "truths"
> that you deem to be unassailable. (If you were The
> Cat, I'd let you list some scientific "truths"
> just for shiz and giggles.)

No one will break Nolan Ryan's strikeout record. No one will break Joe D's 56 games with a hit record. I think of those as truths.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2023 11:26PM by tensolator.

Date: October 02, 2023 11:29PM

Fifty-nine, my heart left the church at 40. I pretended. The Corona illness kept me out of church for a year plus. That was after three plus years in a bishopric. I pretended.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 03:09PM

Chez Wrote:
> Can't tell if you're kidding

Kidding, I'd guess. :)

I don't know of many (any?) very young posters (aka teens) but maybe you can start a trend!

That doesn't mean you won't find accurate informative information here. Don't be shy to ask questions. We goof off quite a bit but there are some very experienced and knowledgeable people who can answer just about any question related to Mormonism that anybody could come up with.

The meaning of life etc - that is still up for debate. :)

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 02:24PM

Homework assignment.

The day I left on my mission, I boarded a Western Airlines 737 - first series. Walked across the tarmac to stairs that had been wheeled out to the plane on a cold January morning to board. Had a full size sandwich and drink in flight (no charge), no wi-fi (did not exist), and there was no issue or charges for checking your bags. You could stretch your legs, knees were not pressed against the seat before you, and space for your shoulders. If you wanted a blanket or small pillow, you just got one from the overhead.

Gasoline was around 85 to 95 Cents per gallon depending upon your location.

Date: September 28, 2023 02:34PM

I'm guessing late 70s early 80s was when this happened?

Date: September 28, 2023 04:56PM

Right on the mark - 1978.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 02:46PM

Western Airways. The Only Way to Fly they said and they were right. Coach on Western was better than domestic first class today.

And people were dressed nicely, polite, and no one was harassing and punching the Stewardesses. That's how old I am.

The Western flight for the mission was my first flight ever.

Date: September 28, 2023 05:01PM

There is a funny story about that flight I must tell.

We had a person on board who had indulged himself to much at the airport when it came to his liquor. Half into the flight he became agitated. So we landed in Casper, Wyoming. They opened the door, walked him to the off load ramp, and across the tarmac. Once it was far enough away, the pilot fired up the engines, we swung around and took off. We were probably no more than 10 minutes on the ground.

Date: September 28, 2023 06:09PM

Love it.

On the last leg of my return home---LA to SLC-- they handed us cards with the winners of ten horse races on them. Then they showed a film of ten horse races. Everyone was cheering on the horses because if the one on your card won you were given a bottle of champagne.

I wanted to win so badly because I thought it would be hysterical for a returning missionary to get off the plane with a bottle of Champagne. I got nosed out at the last second of the last race. Very disappointing.

Those were the days . . .

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 29, 2023 08:25PM

I still have three pocket knives with various airline logos.

We were handed one when we boarded the flight.

Date: October 02, 2023 10:29AM

Just wow. That alone tells us a huge story about where we are now as a country compared to then. And dates you, haha.

Date: October 02, 2023 11:32PM

Done & Done Wrote:
> Love it.
>
> On the last leg of my return home---LA to SLC--
> they handed us cards with the winners of ten horse
> races on them. Then they showed a film of ten
> horse races. Everyone was cheering on the horses
> because if the one on your card won you were given
> a bottle of champagne.
>
> I wanted to win so badly because I thought it
> would be hysterical for a returning missionary to
> get off the plane with a bottle of Champagne. I
> got nosed out at the last second of the last race.
> Very disappointing.
>
> Those were the days . . .
>
> 1971

Well obviously the mob was involved.

Date: October 02, 2023 11:37PM

I thought, in 1983, when The Who broke up, I would never have AA chance to see them in concert. In 1989, for my college graduation, my brother and I saw The Who in concert in the Oakland Colosseum. Life is funny like that.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 05:45PM

I remember when you were almost always given a meal on a flight. On a coast-to-coast flight, it was steak, potatoes, vegetable, and a roll. Very nice. Seats were wider and more generously spaced. You didn't have to pay extra for luggage, preferred seating, etc. It was a lot more civilized.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 02:56PM

Older than dirt.
Whiter than the driven snow.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 03:13PM

Not as old as e-dog....just barely.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 03:16PM

There are all ages here. They come and go. There are a lot of old geezers here who will tell you like it is. There is a lot of wisdom here.

I'm mostly jealous I didn't catch on to Mormonism as early as you did.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 03:17PM

I just had my 50th high school reunion.

Date: September 28, 2023 03:45PM

They had high schools 50 years ago? I guess EOD lied to me yet again. . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2023 03:47PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: September 28, 2023 03:58PM

Well, we called them "Prepas" back then, short for Preparatoria...

Date: September 28, 2023 04:00PM

What Gladys calls me... <poof!>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2023 04:38PM by elderolddog.

Date: September 28, 2023 04:48PM

All that about a one-room school and a schoolmarm wasn't true?

Then what is your excuse for stopping at sixth grade?

Date: September 28, 2023 04:58PM

Sixth grade was my "safe space" ...

Date: September 28, 2023 05:08PM

That excuse loses its credibility after four or five years.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 03:21PM

I won't say my age, but I remember when we got our first TV. It was a black and white, came in a cabinet with doors, and the picture tended to scroll up or down on it's own.

I also remember being sick, home from school watching TV when Kennedy was assassinated. My mom told me it was serious. I remember President Eisenhower and David O. McKay was the mormon profit.

We had a phone but it was on a party line. Captain Kangaroo my favorite show along with Howdy Doodee Time and the Mickey Mouse Club with Annette Funicello. My Dad liked Have Gun Will Travel, Rawhide, and boxing with Sonny Liston.

Penny candy was plentiful and a nickle Payday candy bar was huge. Primary was on a Wednesday afternoon and the school bus would drop off the whole busload there.

Our car had a bird with wings on the front of the hood. Sometimes my Dad would let me ride there holding onto the wings while he drove us to church. We drank milk my Dad milked from our one cow.

I guess I would be around seven decades or so old. Do you remember pennies by the inch?

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 04:22PM

LOL I remember my family's first black and white TV. We had to hit it a lot to keep the picture from moving up and down. TVs back then took a lot of abuse. We were either adjusting the antenna, turning the knob or hitting it. Today's TV viewers don't know how easy they have it.

Date: September 28, 2023 05:17PM

I remember the JFK funeral, I was mad that it preempted one of my favorite shows on that ole black and white. I had no idea of the significance of that event. When we finally got a color TV, it was whoo..hoo! But the screen did scroll often as well.

I preferred the Milky Way Bar that had that thick layer of soft Caramel that would stick to anything and everything.

Dad had the 8 passenger Buick station wagon, he would put down the lift-gate, and we would dangle our legs as he drove down the road. Grandpa was a rancher, and he would let us drive his tank of an Impala in the acres upon acres of open land he had, with nothing you could hit.

Those were good days.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 03:22PM

51…

But I was about 31 when I found this site.

Date: September 28, 2023 03:56PM

I Can't speak for the average user, but being well above average, I'm 62.

Now if you want to know the average age of all of us, you need to get all our ages and divide by the number of us.

Date: September 28, 2023 04:38PM

> I Can't speak for the average user...

I love that, as an AP, you can still be so modest!

Date: September 28, 2023 04:51PM

He's had the Third Anointing, which comes with special garments and a plastic whistle.

Date: September 28, 2023 05:21PM

>> He's had the Third Anointing <<

That's why my nickname is Tripod.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 09:50PM

I see what you did there

Date: September 28, 2023 05:22PM

Modest is as modest does....and don't forget....modest is hottest! That's why chicks dig me.

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: October 02, 2023 11:19PM

62? Youngster.
63 here.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 04:06PM

I was in first grade when Kennedy was shot. I remember watching the funeral in school.

I haven't yet reached my 50th high school reunion.

We had a TV from what I remember when I showed up. I forgot about the picture scrolling up and down by itself. That was so irritating! My parents didn't have a color TV until I bought them one in my 20s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2023 04:07PM by cl2.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 05:58PM

You and I are the same age. I also was in first grade when President Kennedy was shot. In a few weeks, it will have been 60 years, and I clearly remember it. Actually, I remember the Cuban missile crisis, but I didn’t understand what was going on (though I do remember my mom being worried).

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 29, 2023 10:05AM

I think there have been a few movies made about it and I haven't seen any of them. I need to watch one.

It is my dad's birth date, November 22. He died 14-1/2 years ago.

And my twins were born on the 21st.

It is shocking to look back and see how much has changed. I used to think they had invented everything, so what was there left to invent? OH MY!

I remember it clearly, too, and I remember sitting in my chair 2nd row from the back and 1 row over from the doors the day we watched the funeral. My teacher was Mrs. Kotter.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2023 10:08AM by cl2.

Date: September 29, 2023 03:30PM

“I think there have been a few movies made about it and I haven't seen any of them. I need to watch one.”

My personal recommendation would be “Parkland” (starring Zac Enron and Bill Bob Thornton).

One to avoid (IMO): “JFK” (the Oliver Stone film).

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 28, 2023 05:48PM

We do get teens and 20-somethings, Chez, but they tend to come and go. The board gets all ages, but it tends to skew older. We love our younger posters -- you get to save yourself a lot of heartache by getting out early. If you have any questions, we can likely help, and if you just want to vent, there are a lot of great listeners here.

Date: September 28, 2023 06:07PM

I’m old enough that there only 16 temples in the entire world when I served my mission. Now there are that many temples announced during a slow GC session.

Also during my mission, blacks couldn’t receive the priesthood, nor could they do the ordinances necessary for exaltation, all indigenous people throughout the Americas were Lamanites, JS translated the BoM using the Urim and Thummim, there was only one version of the First Vision, and members actually quoted from the PoGP in talks and lessons.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: September 29, 2023 01:34AM

I’m in my late 60’s.

I remember watching the Beatles come to the U.S. on the news on our black and white TV set. I also remember watching all the news about President Kennedy.

I can recall the Vietnam War protests and my parents and I got caught in the rioting at Golden State Park. Cops on horseback were chasing us and everyone there. All we had wanted to do was visit and see the points of interest there; we got more than we bargained for!

Congratulations on figuring out the LDS church while you’re young; that is an accomplishment.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 29, 2023 02:00AM

Excuse me. We are all above average.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 29, 2023 02:41AM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 29, 2023 02:52AM

I'm not average, never have been, never will be.

Posted by: Naonn ( )
Date: September 29, 2023 05:15AM

I identify as under 16 for taxation and criminal purposes, and over 65 when I am collecting my state pension.

Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 09:08PM

49 here.

I've been around here (with a different name that I realized, years on, had a spelling error that turned it into a whole other name. *cringe*) since 2005ish. Though I come and go. But in that time, I have seen posts by several teens in roughly your situation. They usually move on either when they reach a more stable point in their post-mormon life, or, I suspect, when they return to the church for familial peace/financial support/guilt.

Stick around, everyone is here to help. Except a certain TBM member from Alabama whose name is in all caps. He'll try to persuade your return.

Just be safe and delete your history, and use a proxy/vpn/anonymizer if you're connecting via wifi at home or a mormon friend/family member's home.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.