Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 09:54AM

Apparently Dallin Oaks is next in line.

How will he be received?
What predictions can be made about his agenda?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: True Confessions ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 10:21AM

Twinker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Apparently Dallin Oaks is next in line.
>
> How will he be received?
> What predictions can be made about his agenda?

Oaks is an authoritarian. He signed off on electroshock treatment at BYU. If he can do that to gays who knows what else he is capable of?

Like Nelson he seems to be a great believer in the use of medical credentials to enforce power.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: October 02, 2023 10:43PM

Some years back, before RMN was the president of "The Church" he arrived at our stake for stake conference. It sticks out because I had just watched Ben Stein's No Intelligence Allowed. Ben Stein commits a bit of time on eugenics, and what horrid things took place, and take place, with eugenics.

So up stands RMN. I will be damned if he did not go on about eugenics for a considerable amount of time. And not about the bad things. It was a med talk. A show off talk. But my mouth is hanging open because he is going on about how nifty eugenics is.

There is some ill thought in what he went on about.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: October 12, 2023 05:54PM

What's the difference between "Eugenics" and what the Nazis were trying to do in the 1930-1940's?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_racial_theories

Posted by: squirrley ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 11:04AM

From the SL Tribune

"Apostle Dallin H. Oaks dramatically and unequivocally altered the conversation with transgender Latter-day Saints on Wednesday.

God created humans as male and female, who are defined by “biological sex at birth,” Oaks, first counselor to the president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, told an assembly of high-level church officers. “ … Binary creation is essential to the plan of salvation.”

For LGBTQ community this will go over about as well as outing the children of gays .... that the Lord decided to change after the outrage.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 01:00PM

LGBTQ+ is a secular movement. Any organization based on the Bible is going to be at odds with it.

LGBTQ+ is more along the lines of you have the power to choose who we want to be.

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 01:03PM

Too bad for intersex people

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 02:05PM

Incredible, isn't it? Somewhere around one percent of all human beings are treated like excrement by dint of birth.

Better that an innocent child be ruined through the arbitrary assignment of gender than that a generation of adult bigots change their views in accordance with science.

What a horrible man he is.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: October 06, 2023 05:00PM

He has a gay grandson who is gay and he treats him like shit.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 12:11PM

IMO Oaks will tighten the screws. So the TBMs will be even more miserable, and those on the fence will head for the exits. It will be a smaller but more fanatical church, at least in the U.S.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 06:08PM

summer Wrote:
> IMO Oaks will tighten the screws. So the TBMs will
> be even more miserable, and those on the fence
> will head for the exits. It will be a smaller but
> more fanatical church, at least in the U.S.

I think is an astute assessment.

Date: October 01, 2023 12:55PM

The prophet is the idol Mormons worship. Anyone with that tittle is well received. You can replace a charismatic, highly visible and well liked church personality like Thomas S Monson with a strange, nerdy, boring guy like Russell M Nelson and it’s amazing how soon the charismatic icon is forgotten.

Nelson will soon be forgotten. The use of Mormon will creep back into the church. His legacy will be a Christ logo and lots of un-needed temples.

In reality the church doesn’t change that much.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 01:01PM

Looking at his career, he's a lawyer. He doesn't know crap about science and appears to have a regressive view about scientific issues.

My guess is that his leadership would encourage more extreme behavior within the religion and less tolerance. With their money comes power and influence over the laws that impact us all.

He is probably not going to improve how people view Mormons. He doesn't come across as a warm loving grandpa, but more of a shrewd intolerant business manipulator...just like Jesus would want.

Date: October 02, 2023 02:22PM

The more the church tightens its grip the more members will ooze out between its fingers. The church has money but it’s losing members. Right now the conservative members are upset because the church is cozy with the United Nations and the Pope and other organizations they hate. They see Nelson as a fallen prophet.

Oaks will be another disaster. Then Bednar has a high probability of wing prophet. Fun. Fun.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: October 02, 2023 10:59PM

I am irritated he does not like the word Mormon. DHO will fade. DAB will have a disconnect with members. Even the TBTT will find his business style tedious. But the Silver Fox, he is a president even my wife might watch in conference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2023 11:03PM by tensolator.

Date: October 11, 2023 11:04AM

If the Silver Fox becomes prophet it won’t be for long. The guy who could become prophet for longer than ten years is Elder Bednar.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 03:17PM

Okay Dokey is 91, so may or may not make a long term contribution as the corporate sole.

But as councilor in the first presidency, I think we'll see more and more influence as Rusty fades away.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 06:17PM

Big question is simple.
Will he inherit the Lighted Pen from Big Nellie?

Or...,

Will he come up with his own gimmick?

Afer all, Joe had his magic peepstone and none since him have been able to make it work.

Is that to be the case with the Holy Ghost Powered Midnight Writer?

Posted by: Observing ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 08:56PM

He is a lawyer, so I bet he will proceed with caution. His tenure will be one without many changes or surprises. Nelson in the other hand was eagerly waiting for his time to shine and he did. I predict he will pass within 20 months

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 09:06PM

I think sooner than that.
He had a fall nearly a month ago and doesn't seem to be recovering well. Had to skip Con'furnz.

Very often a fall by an elderly person precipitates death, as the dominos of the body systems begin to fail.
I'm guessing within the month.
JMHO.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 02, 2023 12:23PM

Any volunteers to start a pool?

Date: October 02, 2023 02:26PM

The decline usually begins with a fall. I’ve seen so many people plan for the big 100 birthday party and never quite make it.

Posted by: One ( )
Date: October 02, 2023 10:35AM

WHEN..., not if.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 06, 2023 02:38PM

He might just be righteous enough to be translated.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: October 02, 2023 11:46AM

During the time when Mark Hofmann was was making forged church documents, and all that was happening in the news about him, it was Oaks who defended the White Salamander story and telling members of the church to be "more sophisticated in their reading."

My "reading" of Mr. Oaks has definitely become sophisticated.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 02, 2023 05:09PM

So thankful that nothing Oaks says or does has any bearing on me and my immediate nevermo family. They have no idea he even exists. Only TBMs think he's important.

Date: October 06, 2023 03:01PM

Have to wonder what kind of changes Oaks would make as president. Is he concerned about the church committing itself to building too many temples?

Would he roll back the Nelson Victory for Satan mantra to make older members feel comfortable about being Mormon?

I think most of us agree that he would ramp up the hate for alphabet groups.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 06, 2023 03:22PM

messygoop Wrote:
--------------------------
>
> I think most of us agree
> that he would ramp up the
> hate for alphabet groups.

Yeah, like the NAACP and SALSA*

*Most people know the NAACP, but few know about SALSA, the Society of Amorous Latino Silly Asses; we are few, so we aren't many...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 06, 2023 03:26PM

>> I think most of us agree that he would ramp up the hate for alphabet groups.

His most recent anti-gay conference talk did not go over well with many TBMs and nuanced Mormons. There are simply too many people who have LGBTQ friends, neighbors, coworkers, family members, etc. Plus many younger members are not going to put up with that. Society has moved on, but Oaks stays firmly stuck in the past.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 06, 2023 03:07PM

and giving the 3 who left first permission by my leaving, I of course have the only TBM left in the family as my daughter. Anything negative that they have to say about gays doesn't go over well with her, though. She isn't as crazy mormon as she used to be. Maybe it will be Oaks who sends her packing.

After we were married and I was typing medical stuff, I typed up a girl who they discovered while trying to insert a catheter after a car accident that she was intersex. That was eyeopening for me. Helped me with my questions about my "ex" being gay. That in itself tells me that there is the possibility for almost anything when it comes to gender.

I felt all along that gay was okay, but they told me it wasn't. All I ever wanted was for them to say he would be okay, would live a happy life, find a guy to settle down with, and we could be friends. But, no. It has been 40 years since I ran into this issue and they still haven't figured it out.

I've been waiting for Rusty to kick the bucket since he became whatever he is. Why is it that the leaders live so long? It seems they are afraid to move on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2023 03:09PM by cl2.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: October 06, 2023 05:17PM

“IF???”

Posted by: shortcrikchick ( )
Date: October 11, 2023 10:42AM

I'm just waiting for the next "I'm a Mormon" campaign. Who will implement it is open.

Date: October 11, 2023 01:49PM

The next I'm a Mormon campaign will be titled "Dude, I had no idea you're a Mormon". It will feature men and women who steal, cheat, lie, have affairs, are spouse and child abusers. It will feature funny outtakes where people say:

-I didn't think you were religious, you never attend church.
-You swear more than my grandpa.
-The last time you went camping with us, you drank all the beer.
-I didn't know that you were a priesthood leader, because you're always bumming a smoke.
-I had no idea that you've been to the temple because you're always wearing bikinis.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 16, 2023 12:43AM

I was just coming back on this thread as I saw it again and I'm still waiting for him to die.

Posted by: PrayersCouldSucceed ( )
Date: October 16, 2023 01:19AM

cl2 Wrote:
> I was just coming back on this thread as I saw it
> again and I'm still waiting for him to die.

OIC, good as dead isn't good enough!

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: October 14, 2023 09:00AM

I think the most important question to be asked of Dallin Oaks (though no one will ask him it) is how he feels about the activities of Leonard Leo.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/10/11/2198756/-We-don-t-talk-about-Leonard-The-man-behind-the-right-s-Supreme-Court-supermajority?detail=emaildkre&pm_source=DKRE&pm_medium=email

His truthful answer to that question (assuming he answers truthfully--something that should not be taken for granted in Mormonism) will give you a very good clue as to what direction he would attempt to lead the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 14, 2023 11:46AM

Nelson should task ChurchCo artists - designers with a making some anti-Mormon word icon such as the word with a Ghostbusters diagonal slash (they got it backwards) through it, Mormons love kitsch!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.