Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 05:45PM

Dale Renlund apparently said in his GC talk, that his 8-year old self wanted to be hit by a truck and die, because he would never be so pure as he was on his baptism day.

The audience laughed at the "joke."

So sick and twisted! How is it in any way normal that an eight year old child contemplates his or her own death, as being in any way preferable to life?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 05:59PM

It's sick and perverted and here's another one that gets discussed by church missionaries.

At a district meeting, one elder shared that this was the perfect time to die because he claimed that he had never felt closer to God than any other time. It was part of his testimony that the time serving as a missionary was so special. I wanted to puke and I held my tongue.

Like dominoes, this perverted thinking spread throughout the room. I really didn't want to discuss it, but I was called on to share my thoughts. I told them that they were nuts. I told them that I had many more goals in life (most of which were not church related but things I wanted to experience). A few told me that I was stupid for not wanting to die while serving a mission.

I still think that contemplating death because you're extra pious is NOT normal at all!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 06:01PM

Good for you for speaking up for sanity!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 08:59PM

I hadn't met yet until a year ago. Just because I didn't feel the need, but other siblings know them and my dad knew him well.

So my aunt went with me to the farm a year ago as she thought I needed to go as I was really depressed. Thought it would help to be around where my family homesteaded in the 1800s and lived there until 13 years ago.

This guy and his wife talked to us for quite a while. Really nice people. Their son was killed on his mission 2 years ago in July in New Mexico. He was a month from coming home, although he had gotten permission to go home a month early to go to a big family reunion, but he chose to stay as he told his parents that he wanted to do what he felt God would want him to do.

These kids who talk like that should go talk to these parents. He was their youngest child.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2023 08:59PM by cl2.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 06:21PM

I remember feeling sort of like that when I was baptized as a 12 year old convert. The missionaries really built up the idea that I would be pure and free from sin after I was baptized. Prior to my baptism I didn't imagine that I was dirty and full of sin but the idea was planted in my brain so I really wanted to be clean.

I remember feeling like I was spotless after baptism but the feeling soon (within about 10 minutes) vanished when I argued with one of my siblings. That's when the intense guilt and feelings of worthlessness started. I would never be spotless again and going forward I always felt like a sinner who just couldn't be perfect.

The Mormon church sets children up for failure starting when they are eight years old. For an eight year old to want to be hit by a truck rather than risk being tarnished from sin - which in the Mormon church is nothing more than having an "unclean" thought, says a lot about LDS Inc.'s methods. The older I get I realize how truly evil the organization is.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 01, 2023 08:09PM

That reminds me of when my DW worked in geriatrics and told me all of the crazy things the elderly say.

High office in TSCC isn't a bad place to lose your mind.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 02, 2023 06:20AM

My baptism started off with me and my friends getting in a dirt clod fight in the back yard and me getting chewed by mom because we got dirt all over my baptismal clothes hanging on the line.

Mom had to re wash the clothes and the clock was ticking. We then played in the street and I’m having fun and my mom in a pissed off voice tells me to get my ass in the house and we need to get ready to go to the stake house.

I thought we were going to go to Mr. Steak but we ended up going to the church building my grandmother went to. I was led by my dad to this steamy locker room with naked dudes in it. Yikes! I put on the clothes my mom washed and got dunked by my dad and we went home.

It meant nothing to me.

Posted by: swallow ( )
Date: January 24, 2024 04:57AM

I had to get changed in a restroom stall

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: October 02, 2023 06:49PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> So sick and twisted! How is it in any way normal
> that an eight year old child contemplates his or
> her own death, as being in any way preferable to
> life?

just add soul sucking MORmONiSM, that's how

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: October 02, 2023 07:35PM

The whole notion of understanding what baptism is about at the age of 8 is ridiculous.

All I remember was sitting on one of those metal chairs, it was cold, and people kept yammering on. I was just thinking to myself, lets get this over with. So after the dunk, came my having to change out of wet clothes around a bunch of old dudes. That in itself was unsettling to me. Then the confirmation the next day during those long sacrament meetings of 2 to 3 hours.

For me at the age of 8, it was what all of us went through. It was just another one of those rituals. I did the same things before my baptism and after. It never once occurred to me that I had made promises that would be held over my head for the remainder of my life. Doing things like that to 8 year olds is cruel. But I do smile when I imagine if I ever got the chance to redo that moment in time with what I now know.

Think of the look on the Bishops face when I say to him, "Sorry Bishop but I lack the skills and maturity to make this kind of decision at the age of eight. How about we follow up on this when my Grey matter fully develops at the age of 25 or so."

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: October 02, 2023 10:15PM

I hope taught a fellow decades ago. He was a bit older than us. But he had a five year old, or so. One day we are home teaching and that kid starts pretend passing the sacrament. That fellow was just amazed at how amazing his son was. Thinking back, I think dad had been training the kid. He might have had the kid do it for affect. It was strange.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 03, 2023 10:18AM

They might snare members who served eons ago when the church granted missionaries a lot more self-autonomy to act for themselves. And I think they may entice members who were wild raising hell and then came back to the church; a-la prodigal son story. Perhaps, some feel guilty for not staying loyal to the church.

The rest of us who served under Mission President pricks would know better than to ever serve again.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: October 05, 2023 12:01PM

Isn't this a sneaky change of doctrine? So, officially now, the waters of baptism no longer wash away sins? Seems like there is an article of faith and a multitude of sermons that say something different. That he would say this using a cringy story about an 8 year old being too dumb to know better just means people who thought this are just as dumb. The cringe, gaslight, cult vibe is strong with this one. Or am I missing something?

Posted by: Livid ( )
Date: January 23, 2024 04:08PM

Weird!

Posted by: Alien Weaponry ( )
Date: January 27, 2024 07:08AM

Is this what they mean by a hard hitting talk?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.