Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: October 07, 2023 05:17AM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/10/06/23andme-hacked-data/

“A hacker is offering to sell records identifying names, locations and ethnicities of potentially millions of customers of genetic testing company 23andMe, beginning by touting a batch that would contain data of those with Jewish ancestry.”

“ The data does not include genomic details, which are especially sensitive, but does include usernames, regional locations, profile photos, and birth years. The usernames are often something other than full legal names.”

“ The data taken from 23andMe could cover more than half of the company’s 14 million customers, based on the number of people who have opted to make their data visible to relatives, including distant cousins.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 07, 2023 10:00AM

Anyone who doesn't realize that all can be hacked and all will be hacked is out to lunch. This is what we have in 2023. I see it as the beginning of the fulfillment of Joseph's prophecy that the Earth would turn to a Sea of Glass and no one at all would have any secrets.

Nowhere to run. No where to hide.

D&C 77:1. The Earth like a Sea of Glass

The following incident from the history of the Prophet Joseph Smith amplifies this verse: “While at dinner, I remarked to my family and friends present, that when the earth was sanctified and became like a sea of glass, it would be one great Urim and Thummim, and the Saints could look in it and see as they are seen” (History of the Church, 5:279).

Hard to fault Joseph's imagination. No?

Perhaps when Joseph comes back with Jesus he will be selling protection against being seen for who you really are? Perhaps that is why the G.A.s need the hundreds of Billions of Dollars?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 07, 2023 10:05AM

I've often wondered if TBMs could see into Joseph's mind, would they still follow him? And sadly, I think the answer is yes, because when you make that many excuses for someone, not much else will deter you. Plus, some people don't know how to do anything but follow.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 07, 2023 10:31AM

Would they still follow him. Yes. My family knows enough to "get out of Dodge" but they just chalk all the dirt on Joseph et al up to us not understanding God's ways. "Don't delve into the mysteries" I was cautioned emphatically.

"One is never afraid of the unknown; one is afraid of the known coming to an end." Jiddu Krishnamurti

What scares me is that it's not just Mormons doing this. No matter how much dirt comes out on "someone", really ugly dirt even, the allegiance of the followers remains. Anything and everything can be overlooked by someone who desperately wants their status quo to remain in tact.

Date: October 07, 2023 10:40AM

Yes, it seems to be a universal human trait. My mom used to say of Adolph Hitler, "Don't think it can't happen again."

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 07, 2023 11:18AM

This is very disturbing.
Nothing online is completely secure. Hacking, threats and extortion fears are increasing. I thought it was bad enough that insurance companies and businesses tapped into personal information, but this is more dangerous.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: October 07, 2023 11:47AM

The guy I walk with in the morning has an diabetes patch on his arm that sends data to his phone as to insulin/blood sugar readings if they get out of range.

He thinks it's great as he doesn't have to pin prick his finger to take a reading.

I suggested it's all part of big brother to manage everything you do.

This patch thing will probably report you eating habits, exercise routine, medication, etc. and the government and insurance companies will modify you health coverage and benefits as appropriate.

You don't eat right, drink too much, sorry no insurance. You are on your own.

Date: October 07, 2023 12:02PM

Well, there is this little thing called HIPAA that has cost people who violate it their jobs.

The patch and phone notifications must be a godsend to those with diabetes. Could you imagine having to prick yourself or give yourself injections multiple times daily? Anything that makes their lives just a little bit easier is a good thing.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: October 07, 2023 12:55PM

Seriously, on the scale of evil and good, does scaring people away from using life enhancing medical treatments based on unfounded fears of corporate and government boogeymen put you at "noble protector of mankind" or "annoying smear of dog turd on the bottom of a shoe"?

Date: October 07, 2023 12:57PM

Apologies, wrong spot, this was supposed to be "outdented" by one.

Date: October 07, 2023 12:59PM

It's still a good point. :)

Date: October 07, 2023 12:33PM

I find a clever conspiracy theory entertaining, but this one isn't even clever. All of modern medicine involves the invention and adaptation of technology to improve health outcomes. Specifically for diabetics, ease of management is critical to better long-term health and, believe it or not, lower lifetime cost. Insurance companies want patients using these devices not to collect data but to reduce expensive treatments, like leg amputation. Besides, denial of coverage would be illegal...the government and the insurance companies are not increasingly in cahoots as you would imply, but the trend has been that government has continuously added restrictions on insurance companies in order to protect patients. The system is far from perfect, but the conditions just plain don't exist for the conspiracy you fabricated to be realistic.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 07, 2023 12:44PM

Next, you're going to claim that lining the inside of your baseball cap with aluminum foil doesn't block mind control rays...

You must be an agent of the Illuminati!!!

Date: October 07, 2023 12:46PM

I have to say that my latest vaccination-implanted chip gives really great TV reception!

Date: October 07, 2023 12:49PM

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: October 07, 2023 06:32PM

Insurance companies are the worst. Ever get an offer to install a plug in device to you vehicle to get you a reduced policy rate? Ha! Liars. Those recorders know everything that you do. They know the lateral forces that you put on your car during cornering. They know how fast you accelerate and how hard you brake. They know how fast you are going on any given street and what that speed limit is for that street. But, most of all, they know if you stop 3 times a week at your favorite after work bar, have a few and then drive home. Stop at a motel every Wednesday at noon for an hour? They know that you're having an affair. ALL risky behavior designed for them to charge you higher rates. NEVER put one of those bugs in your car.

Date: October 07, 2023 07:32PM

Insurance companies were born to "share risk"; people called actuaries could produce somewhat verifiable data regarding how many houses would burn down in a given territory during a given time period.  Actuaries could also prognosticate what percentage of commercial sailing vessels would not complete their trips.

Someone figured out that if homeowners and commercial ship owners would pay into a pool, those unlucky enough to have their homes burn down or their ships sink could be compensated.  They could pool their money to share a known risk.  And the key is "known risk."

When you paid into the pool, you certainly hoped your home wouldn't burn and that your ship wouldn't sink, but if it did, paying maybe 1/100th of your home's value into the pool but getting close to 100% of its value paid to you out of the pool was seen as a very wise investment.

Actuaries depend on 'Truth' when they set their rates.  The more 'Truth,' the finer and closer they can shave their findings, and so the less each person has to pay into the pool.

I understand how annoying it is that tickets and charged accidents, especially a DUI, can raise your rates...  I have been to traffic school probably more times than you have fingers and toes, which I could do because I got speeding tickets all over a wide distribution of SoCal jurisdictions.

Because the DMV didn't know about the traffic school-dismissed tickets, my insurance company only learned about maybe six of my way over 20+ citations.  Can you imagine how much my rates would have increased if they'd known about all of them!!

Hiding facts from your insurance and out-and-out insurance fraud in just about any type of coverage is rampant, and most people don't think of it as a 'crime'; it's just being proactive in either holding your rates down or making easy money; amateurs in the first example and professionals in the second.

Now that I'm retired, getting one of those doodads on my vehicle has dropped my rates considerably because I no longer speed, I don't accelerate quickly, I brake gently... And yes, I got a three-month email telling me they noted two 'hard braking' events and that I should try eliminating them to keep my good driver rate.  And I don't go anywhere that I wouldn't want my insurance company to know about.

The old saying kinda does fit the situation: "If you don't want to do the time, don't commit the crime."

I realize how wildly unpopular insurance companies are, but I'm also very aware of the many people who lie to them and who try to cheat and steal from them.  

"Everybody does it!"  So, yeah, I understand the temptation to join the crowd ... and we can excuse ourselves because "...those rat bastards deserve it!"

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: October 07, 2023 08:51PM

Yeah, I know a bit about insurance and actuaries. My grandfather was an actuary for the New York Fireman's Fund. I've known all about insurance companies since I was 3. I spent my 1st year in college as an accounting major, thinking about following in my grandfather's successful footsteps. Until I took the courses, bored out of my mind and being surrounded by accountants.
Plus, I know a lot about tickets. I had 17 on my record after going to defensive driving, Texas' version of traffic school in my first year in the 1970's. I probably had 40 more that disappeared. My first car was a 69 Chevelle SS396 with a rod knock. I bought it when I was 15 and my best friend's two older brothers and their friends, were gear heads and were taking auto mechanics in Jr. College. Back then, you could buy late 60's and early 70's muscle cars for $1200-$1500. $500 less if it needed an engine rebuild. That car had 375 HP from the factory (Car companies underestimated true horsepower because insurance companies raised rates on HP cars.) The car probably had 400+ HP from the factory. But, after the rebuild, machined block, port and polished heads, a killer cam, Hooker headers and a Holley 780 double pumper it was a lot more. We didn't have a dyno, but estimated HP was 500+. With a 4.10 12 bolt rear end, it would pull the wheels off about 8 -10 inches in 1st and an inch in 2nd. My parents had no clue to what that car could do. Clear Lake City was a new (built for NASA) city that was an unincorporated part of Houston. Courts were run out of Webster, TX about 6 miles away, or Pasadena, depending on where you got caught. Clear Lake was patrolled by Harris County constables-Cops Lite. I raced a lot, only lost once when my 2nd gear shifter linkage came loose. When you got a ticket, you could pay it or go see Judge Bud West. He would offer you a choice of paying the fine, which went on your record or pay the fine and take a 6 hour defensive driving course and have it not show up on your record, which he advocated (I'm sure the fine money went into a few pockets, but not the Webster treasury.) It got to the point where the two Defensive Driving instructors would joke " Again, Jim? Why don't you just teach this class today?" Things were cool until my parents bought a new car in my 2nd year of college and put me on their insurance plan. Our long time, State Farm insurance guy, Jim Reed, called my Dad and told him that they couldn't put me on their policy because I had 17 tickets (57) on my record. I still lived at home and I still remember that dinnertime conversation and lecture. When I bought my 1st new car, a 1978 T-bird Town Landeau, I was going to pay cash, $8,200, MSRP $9,560. My Dad told me to establish credit and I borrowed $4,200 for 3 years. My car payments were $157.00/mo but my insurance was $209.00/mo. Even though I never had a wreck, ran a red light or DWI. All my tickets were exhibition of speed (wheelies and burnouts) competition of speed (racing) and speeding. That's it. Disliked insurance companies ever since then. And, over a million+ miles later ( I had a sales job where I drove 30K a year) I still have never been in an accident that was caused by me. That should count for something with insurance companies, but it doesn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2023 08:58PM by stillanon.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: October 07, 2023 05:10PM

I signed up in the early days of 23andme when they’d tell me 2.8% of my DNA was Neanderthal DNA. My wife got it done recently and hers said <2% DNA, confirming what she already suspected.
We had our dogs DNA tested too.
Which is interesting.
I’m operating under the assumption of ‘privacy’ is a thing of the past. I believe we are headed for the singularity, and a future that is controlled completely by AI.
AI is the next step in evolution of humans.
We are already part cyborgs.
We exist on line.
We have ‘smart phones’ which are just connections to the internet and extensive

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.